Hey everyone! This week’ selection of events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress with assorted rainbow / Pride things as a theme because Capital Pride weekend is this weekend, and it all kicks off with our RAINBOW RESISTANCE: GLAMPIRE STRIKES BACK party this Friday.
Some really cool things coming up in the next few weeks
• THIS FRIDAY! JUNE 9! Cap Pride & BYT Present: Rainbow Resistance Opening Party!
• NEXT FRIDAY! JUNE 16! BYT & Nat Geo’s Excellent Adventure – Explorers Festival After Hours! Oddisee DJ SET! Museum take-overs! Explorers everywhere! Tickets are on sale! Buy now! Tickets sell out every year
• JULY 1st! Celebrate the JFK 100 with us at a magical after hours event at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History. PLUS: Purity Ring DJ set, open bar, etc. Tickets are already going VERY fast. Grab them now.
• We are THRILLED the Bentzen Ball Podcast Studio is coming back to the Kennedy Center this July. Michael Ian Black! Mortified! Reductress!
Can you even contain the excitement? Contain it.
• We interviewed mall god Tiffany. We asked her about malls. And denim.
• Not sure what to wear to the Rainbow Resistance? Here are some possibly NSFW suggestions.
• Going to a Nats game just got better. The Salt Line is now open.
• We had a chat with Air.
• We visited the new Farmbird. We want more of their chicken.
• It’s June. You should have Your Best June. We help by selecting the best of EVERYTHING.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
You may need more glitter.
• You’re going to watch the Comey testimony. Here’s where you can watch the Comey testimony.
• Capital Pride’s Rooftop Pool Party is at Vida at The Yards.
• Kramebrooks is hosting a Trevor Project fundraiser Pride Pre-Game Open Mic
• Instagram the Robin Bell Pride installations at the soon-to-be-opened THE LINE Hotel in Adams Morgan at 1770 Euclid
• Bent Knee is at Black Cat.
• The Jack Rose Tiki Bar is open for the season and their Thursday night happy hour is a very good deal.
• Some of us will be at Freddie Gibbs at 9:30 Club,
• !!! is at U Hall.
• “La Resistencia” 11th Annual Latinx Pride Celebration is tonight.
• Feist is at Lincoln Theatre for a second night.
• Try six new flavors at Ice Cream Jubilee’s tasting and take a pint home.
• My French Roommate, Marc Monet and Furniteur are at DC9. We love Furniteur.
• Cap Pride & BYT Present: Rainbow Resistance Opening Party! GET OUTFIT INSPIRATION HERE.
•W. Kamau Bell is at Arlington Drafthouse. Come back Friday for our interview with the United Shades host.
• Wilco is at Wolf Trap. That’s fun to say out loud.
• This Show Will Only Bring You Happiness is producing a special queer edition of their show at Velvet Lounge featuring Chelsea Shorte, Violet Gray, Michael Furr, Samantha Kelly, Leigh Crenshaw, and Valerie Paschall.
• Jamestown Revival is at 9:30 Club.
• The W Hotel is hosting a free LGBTQ speaker series called Queer Me Out. Tonight’s talk features Levi Jackman Foster, Abi Benitez and Tom Jackson.
• There’s still some daytime availability to check out the ARTECHOUSE.
• DC Jazz Fest begins tonight and runs June 18.
• Beer lovers will head to ChurchKey for The Anaerobic Soak Party.
• Paul Simon and Sarah McLachlan are at Merriweather Post Pavilion. Do you have a healthy relationship with your parents? If you do, maybe you should take them to this show. I’m sure they’d love it.
• Get a taste of Czech jazz with Dan Bárta & Robert Balzar Trio at the Sculpture Garden.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Dogs + Baseball = Good Day. Pups in the Park at Nationals Park.
• It’s Frank Lloyd Wright Day at the National Building Museum.
• Enjoy a double feature of A Visit to the Louvre followed by Cézanne: Conversation with Joachim Gasquet at the NGA.
Go home and find someone for the evening:
• The Mixtape Pride Party is the late show at 9:30 Club.
• Shadow/Casters at the Hirshhorn looks great. Come back next week for coverage.
• Chris Gethard is at the Arlington Drafthouse. Read our interview with the stand up/podcaster/actor.
• Swing by Black Cat for a Pride Week special movie screening on the main stage.
• Sleep at the National Zoo. It’s time for Snore and Roar.
• Join DCMJ for a 24-hour Cannabis Pride Party.
• Bathtub Republic presents The Radiographers, Journalism, Doublemotorcycle, and Staffers at Dew Drop Inn.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Check out our Weekly BYT Guide To DVD Releases / On Demand / Instant Netflixing.
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• Rodrigo y Gabriela are at 9:30 Club.
• BODYWORK returns with DJs Precolumbian and Olive T at The Airedale.
• The School for Lies at the Shakespeare Theatre Company is incredibly enjoyable and you should see it.
• Christeene brings nightmares to Black Cat.
• You should read more. Buy some books at the inaugural Books in Bloom book festival at The Chrysalis in Merriweather.
• Speaking of Merriweather, Jack Johnson plays pleasant songs in the evening at Merriweather Post Pavilion.
• Girlpool is at Rock & Roll Hotel.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, keep up the good work: