Hey DC! Looking for things to do this weekend? BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress. This week’s theme is Glow since season 2 drops this Friday on Netflix. Wrestling is great!
• OCTOBER 25-28: The 2018 edition of Bentzen Ball Comedy Festival – curated by Tig Notaro, produced by us, enjoyed by all of you. Lincoln All Access Passes ARE SOLD OUT. Tig tickets now on sale and going very fast. More individual show tickets announced soon!
• NOVEMBER 3-4: Our first true crime fest: Death Becomes Us! We just announced the first few shows at the Lisner Auditorium and a limited amount of $101 all access festival passes are
now available sold-out (but you can join the waiting list). Individual show tickets (Buzzfeed unsolved! Last Podcast On The Left! How Did This Get Made – True Crime Edition!) are going on sale soon.
• We planned your summer music schedule. Here are our D.C. summer music picks, with one show option each day.
• Our newest series explores the clothes you love and your significant other does not: My Partner Wants to Burn This.
• Your longread of the weekend: Wine in a (Shipping) Box: Nathan Zeender Talks Hibernaculum
• We saw Harry Styles. Harry Styles fans are passionate.
• It’s summer. Drink Tiki drinks.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• The event of the night is the fundraising happy hour for KIND (Kids in Need of Defense) at Dino’s Grotto. We’re biased since BYT food writer Priya Konings is a lawyer for KIND and she’s part of this happy hour. We’re OK being biased. She’s making the world a better place. You can make the world a better place and enjoy happy hour prices!
• Skip out on work early and enjoy happy hour prices during the World Cup at Wundergarten.
• We like Ike Reilly and The North Country at Jammin Java. Listen to The North Country’s Andrew Grossman on BYT Radio.
• Michael Che performs at Warner Theatre.
• Learn about drag at the library! Drag 101 is at the Petworth Library. If you attend you’ll be able to tell your grandkids, “I had to walk (make up an amount that will scare children) miles to the library to learn about drag!”
• Motown The Musical is at Wolf Trap.
• Algiers headline Black Cat.
• FREE PICK: Moneyball author Michael Lewis speaks with Rob Neyer, former ESPN analyst and author of the forthcoming book Power Ball: Anatomy of a Modern Baseball Game, at Library of Congress. Moneyball is one of the best sports books. Moneyball is a very good film about baseball.
• BALTIMORE PICK: Do some yoga at the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore. It wouldn’t be Best Weekend Bets without a yoga pick.
• We’ve run thousands of photos from Town drag shows. Tonight is the final Friday at Town.
• Save some $$$ and dance at the AMORFA dance party at CONGRUENT.
• If you’re a Ben Folds fan you’ll like National Symphony Orchestra DECLASSIFIED: Ben Folds Presents Jon Batiste, Kishi Bashi, and Joachim Horsley at the Kennedy Center.
• Do some yoga on the roof at The Line.
• Old 97s play 9:30 Club. Old 97s are good on record and great live.
• Check out the Smithsonian Folklife Festival.
• Climb the National Cathedral Tower.
• We have an arena football team and nothing is stopping you from watching arena football team Washington Valor take on Albany Empire at Capital One Arena.
• FREE PICK: Stay in and watch season 2 of Glow.
• BALTIMORE PICK: The CCCP tribute to Del Close Marathon kicks off at Zissimos.
Do some daytime stuff:
• The Friends of the National Zoo turns 60! Celebrate with humans and animals at the National Zoo from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• We’re interested in attending any wine mixer thrown by No Kings so we’re interested in Please Bring Chips presents: Laissez-fair, a ‘natural’ wine social.
• Buy some stuff that used to be other people’s stuff at the Raven’s flea market.
• Get on your bike and ride in the 9th Annual Tour de DCPL.
• Get the pep talk you need for tonight:
• Town hosts The Closing Party – The party to end all parties.
• We’ll be at the Sankofa Beer Company launch event next at The Midlands Beer Garden in Columbia Heights.
• Rock & Roll Hotel hosts Paperhaus, Park Snakes, Bacchae, and DJ Hipster Woods.
• Jahn Rome plays Songbyrd.
• We like Pylon Reenactment Society and Knife Wife at Comet Ping Pong.
• Go back in time, or to The Wharf, at Union Stage’s That BIG 80’s Party.
• The Split Seconds have their record release show at Black Cat.
• FREE PICK OF THE DAY: Today is the family separation protest.
• BALTIMORE PICK: Go to The Motor House for Something Like a Juke Joint.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our SHINY NEW UPDATED DC BRUNCH GUIDE.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• Bottomless Mimos-ha’s is at The Wonderland Ballroom. It’s a brunch/comedy show. Get it?
• If you’d rather go to a drag brunch, head to City Tap Dupont.
• If you’d rather listen to records on a roof, head to DC9.
• Teach Me Equals, Ben Schurr, Praxis Cat, and Jonathan Badger share a bill at The Beehive.
• Spend your Sunday with Oso Oso at Songbyrd.
• Reba McEntire plays Wolf Trap. I’ve seen every episode of Reba.
• FREE PICK: The first Sunday of the month is Free Community Day at the National Museum of Women in the Arts.
• BALTIMORE PICK: Ya gotta take advantage of Free Pet Photo Day. Ya gotta!
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT CALENDAR PAGES, so use it and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, embrace the audience.