Hey everyone! This week’ selection of events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress with summer (ice cream and witches) as a theme. Welcome to summer! Let’s eat some ice cream fellow witches!
Some really cool things coming up in the next few weeks
• THIS THURSDAY! TODAY! Please shop at DC Whole Foods. 5% of all sales today go to support FotoDC!
• NEXT WEEKEND! JULY 1st! Celebrate the JFK 100 with us at a magical after hours event at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History. PLUS: Purity Ring DJ set, open bar, etc. Tickets are already going VERY fast. Grab them now.
• Also NEXT WEEK: Thursday. join us for a kick off to outdoor drinking season with a pool party & tacos happy hour at Liaison Roof Top. FREE + first 75 people get a free Heineken/Heineken Light too. Details and RSVP here
• We are THRILLED the Bentzen Ball Podcast Studio is coming back to the Kennedy Center this July. Michael Ian Black! Mortified! Reductress!
• Plus, some BIG, MASSIVE, SUPER SHINY announcements coming up so: stay forever in the loop and follow us on Facebook & Twitter & Instagram & Pinterest. Use #BYThings too.
Can you even contain the excitement? Contain it.
• The Game of Thrones pop-up bar has arrived. Take a peek at why you’ll be standing in line in Shaw.
•Photos from our Nat Geo Party look really fun. Because the party was really fun. Check them out and then buy tickets to our JFK Centennial Smithsonian After Hours next week.
• Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani are married and wrote a movie and Kumail stars in it and Emily used to be a therapist so we took advantage of her therapy skills.
• Foster The People! Bleachers! Betty Who! The All Things Go Fall Classic lineup ain’t bad.
• Awesome Con 2017 is but a memory. Relive the cosplay here.
• From the man that brought you Dram & Grain, take a look at Five To One.
• Plus, we brought you our weekly FREE AND ALMOST FREE THINGS TO DO IN D.C. & SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK & HAPPY HOUR HOTLINE & COME EARLY FOR & THE WEEK IN OUTSIDE. USE THEM.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• Shop at DC Whole Foods, please. You have to do your grocery shopping / lunch buying anyway, and today 5% of all sales today go to support FotoDC! Getting funding for the arts is always a challenge, so THANK YOU Whole Foods.
• We’ll be at the National Museum of Women in the Arts for a special preview of REVIVAL and after hours celebration of their 30th anniversary. Read all about the exhibition here. It is amazing.
• You, Me, Them, Everybody Live is on the Millennium Stage with Allison Lane, host of Can He Do That? Allison Michaels, Alyssa Cowan and Haywood Turnipseed Jr.
• Fringe Arts Bar is previewing Fringe Fest.
• Hey people that like stretching and rosé, you’ll enjoy Reps + Rosé at lululemon Georgetown.
• Brnda is playing with Venn and Valencia at Slash Run.
• Magic Giant is at Rock & Roll Hotel.
• The Facebook Monologues is at Drafthouse Comedy.
• Yoshiwara is screening at the French Embassy.
• Dead & Company is at Jiffy Lube Live. Some version of this band will always exist.
• Russell Peters begins a sold-out run at the DC Improv.
• Luce Unplugged presents D.C.’s very own Flasher at the Smithsonian American Art Museum.
+ ALL SORTS OF other stuff (SERIOUSLY, JUST SO MANY)
•Up your summer happy hour game and grab a Passport to enjoy 2 for 1 drinks at these bars.
•It’s Game of Thrones night at Nats Park. It might have a shorter line than the pop-up bar.
• DJ Baby Alcatraz is at 9:30 Club.
• The 20th anniversary tour of Rent is at National Theatre.
• We like Chastity Belt and Darren Hanlon at Songbyrd.
• We also like the Summer Solstice Arockalyptic with Black Dog Prowl, Tempercrush, FuzzQueen, Selena Benally, Don Zientara, and Lisa Said at Black Cat.
• Swing by Suns for a night of sweet, sweet Internet videos.
• Naked Girls Reading does their thing at the DCAC.
• Steve Miller Band and Peter Frampton play Merriweather Post Pavilion. Party.
• Will Eastman plays Millennium Stage.
Do some daytime stuff:
• The Smithsonian American Art Museum celebrates JFK with America Now: JFK 100.
• Come party on 14th Street and drink all day for Saturyaay.
• Do you love smoked meats and really hot weather? If so, you’ll love the National Capital Barbecue Battle!
• Catch a matinee of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s The Sound of Music at the Kennedy Center.
• ArtRave is on 15th and P St NW. It’s not a rave-rave.
Go home and regroup for the evening:
• Head to U Hall for Azizi Gibson.
• Show we’ve recommended before, Awkward Sex… And The City returns to Black Cat.
• White Ford Bronco plays 9:30 Club. They are very popular.
• DC Shorts Laughs continues at the Gala Theatre.
• The 2nd Annual Lifestyle Summer Fest returns to Howard Theatre.
• Lady Antebellum is at Jiffy Lube Live.
• Jill Scott plays MGM.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Check out our Weekly BYT Guide To DVD Releases / On Demand / Instant Netflixing.
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• See Hedwig and the Angry Inch at the Kennedy Center.
• It’s Pups in the Park day at Nats Park. Bring your dog to the baseball game!
• Dew Drop Inn is turning two and you’re invited to the party.
• Post Pink is at Black Cat.
• Watch Wonder Woman on the very big IMAX screen at the Air and Space Museum.
• Check out the brand new Chicken + Whiskey.
• New Kids on the Block, Paula Abdul, Boyz II Men are at Verizon Center. Donnie used to wear Public Enemy shirts.
• Luke Bryan is at Merriweather Post Pavilion.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, keep up the good work: