Hey everyone! This week’ selection of Father’s Day / other events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress with Bill & Ted as the theme, because BYT & Nat Geo’s Excellent Adventure After Hours is this FRIDAY. Bring your Dad.
Some really cool things coming up in the next few weeks
• THIS FRIDAY! BYT & Nat Geo’s Excellent Adventure – Explorers Festival After Hours! Oddisee DJ SET! Museum take-overs! Explorers everywhere! Tickets are on sale! Buy now! Price goes up day of so grab them now.
• JULY 1st! Celebrate the JFK 100 with us at a magical after hours event at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History. PLUS: Purity Ring DJ set, open bar, etc. Tickets are already going VERY fast. Grab them now.
• We are THRILLED the Bentzen Ball Podcast Studio is coming back to the Kennedy Center this July. Michael Ian Black! Mortified! Reductress!
Can you even contain the excitement? Contain it.
• We updated our Outdoor Drinking Guide! It’s incredibly warm outside which means it’s perfectly acceptable to drink outside!
• Reading what beer professionals drink makes me worry about their livers. SAVOR Drink Diary: Dave Delaplaine.
• Every neighborhood deserves an Italian deli. Capo Deli is now open in Shaw.
• It’s June. You should have Your Best June. We help by selecting the best of EVERYTHING.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• The Congressional Baseball Game is still on. Go.
• The Nat Geo Explorers Festival begins today and runs through Sunday. Is that why we’re having an after hours party? Yep!
• The Library of Congress is showcasing some rare comics in honor of Awesome Con. Stop by!
• Hang out with Douglas Brunt and Megyn Kelly at Politics & Prose. There will be some protestors outside, right?
• If it doesn’t rain, head to the Nature in Motion Tour at the U.S. Botanic Garden.
• The Head and the Heart play Merriweather.
• SNL’s Michael Che is at Howard Theatre.
• Charly Bliss is at Black Cat.
• Eddie Izzard brings his book tour to Lincoln Theatre. His 2016 show was excellent.
• The Glacier Ride Fundraiser Event with performances from Color Palette, Staycation, Picnibus, The Aux Send + WOLM, Raptorstein, and Symmetrical is at U Hall.
• Excellent Adventure After Hours! Buy tickets now! We sell out every year and get angry emails from people that can’t get tickets.
• Coup Sauvage & the Snips play their final show at the Black Cat.
• Nikki Glaser begins a DC Improv run.
• Watch La La Land outside in Columbia Heights.
• Lizzo is at 9:30 Club. This should be good.
• Upshur Street Books is doing a marathon reading of all of Ulysses.
• We’re excited for Hedwig and the Angry Inch at the Kennedy Center.
• Tone, James Wolf, and ShowPony are at Comet Ping Pong.
• There’s some cosplay themed burlesque at Black Cat because of Awesome Con.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Awesome Con!
• We’ll be spending the day at Old Ox’s 3rd Anniversary Party.
• Eat all of the food at the Around the World Cultural Food Festival.
• Freer and Sackler is screening A Magical Substance Flows Through Me.
• Join Beats Pray Love for a spin class that gets you healthy allll for a good cause!
• We recommend Late Late Breakfast at Bier Baron.
Go home and regroup for the evening:
• We will be at Black Cat for JC Brooks.
• It’s the perfect night to check out AFI Docs.
• Reel Big Fish do their thing at the Fillmore Silver Spring. Good for them.
• Jermaine Dupri is at DAR.
• Silence of the Lambs is at Suns.
• The National Portrait Gallery is throwing a free concert with Citizen Cope and Alice Smith.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Check out our Weekly BYT Guide To DVD Releases / On Demand / Instant Netflixing.
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• Hang out on the Mellow Mushroom roof for SUNNYSIDE: A Daytime Party featuring a DJ set from Brett.
• The Nationals are hosting Brunch on The Baselines. Brunch and baseball are finally together?
• Or head to Boundary Stone for brunch.
• Listen to Exile on Main St. with some strangers at Songbyrd.
• Two Inch Astronaut is releasing their new album at Black Cat with the help of Bad Moves and Maneka. We love Bad Moves.
• We’ll be at Jerk Fest.
• Dave Matthews is at Merriweather Post Pavilion. Not the band, just the man.
• Dead Heavens, Hideout and Victor Archie are at DC9.
• What Cheer? Brigade and Anna Connolly are at Comet Ping Pong. This should be loud and fun.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, keep up the good work: