Hey DC! Looking for things to do this weekend? BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress. This week’s guide is Paul Rudd, the most American actor acting today. Clueless + Friends + Wet Hot American Summer + a man that is an ant = America.
• OCTOBER 25-28: The 2018 edition of Bentzen Ball Comedy Festival – curated by Tig Notaro, produced by us, enjoyed by all of you. Lincoln All Access Passes ARE SOLD OUT. Tig tickets now on sale and going very fast. More individual show tickets announced soon!
• NOVEMBER 3-4: Our first true crime fest: Death Becomes Us! We just announced the first few shows at the Lisner Auditorium and a limited amount of $101 all access festival passes are
now available sold-out (but you can join the waiting list). Individual show tickets (Buzzfeed unsolved! Last Podcast On The Left! How Did This Get Made – True Crime Edition!) are going on sale soon.
• It’s July. Have Your Best July.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• Some of us will be at Mock Identity’s record release show at Black Cat.
• Watch 2001: A Space Odyssey in 70mm with a Q&A with actor Keir Dullea at AFI Silver Spring. Advance tickets sold out.
• The 2018 Sawa Sawa Kizomba Festival begins today and runs through the weekend.
• Continue celebrating America with Our Country, ‘Tis of Sleaze at The Wonderland Ballroom.
• Take a peek inside Fun House at the National Building Museum.
• See City Witch at Slash Run.
• DeRay Davis begins a run at the DC Improv.
• WIT’s Summer Escape continues at Source.
• FREE PICK: See Oscar nominated director Joe Berlinger’s new doc, Intent to Destroy, at E Street Cinema.
• BALTIMORE PICK: Noah Gardenswartz performs in the basement of Joe Squared.
• Pusha T is at Echostage. Daytona is great.
• The most American band, Foo Fighters, bring their love of rock to Merriweather.
• Sit on the Wolf Trap lawn and enjoy the National Symphony Orchestra score Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
• Reminisce about 90s hip-hop and R&B at Reminisce Live at 9:30 Club.
• Ryan Conner is at the DC Improv for one night only.
• Spend the evening at DC9 seeing Distant Creatures, Fox Hollow, Grayling and Babbling April.
• Lip Sync Battle Burlesque is at Black Cat. Pretend to know the words.
• Go see our GIF man in Ant-Man and The Wasp, in theaters today!
• FREE PICK: Stay in and watch The Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter, on Netflix today!
• BALTIMORE PICK: The Charm City Comedy Project brings their Prim and Proper show to Zissimos.
Do some daytime stuff:
• We recommend Sound Scene: Mapping Memory at the Hirshhorn.
• Spend the first part of your day at the Chinatown Community Festival.
• Brave the heat and go on the 5th Annual Port City Pub Crawl.
• Head indoors in the afternoon for #Sündown x #FreeFeels: Alex Noize, Amir S, Mr. Wright at Flash.
• Our mandatory BWB yoga pick is Yoga in the Garden at the US Botanic Garden.
• Take your bike wherever you need to go and get off it ASAP…
• The most important cat related baseball game of the season is Saturday at Nat’s Park: CAT-URDAY. From the press release: For one day only, NatsTown will turn into CatsTown, complete with cat-related scoreboard features, information tables for cat owners, a seventh-inning cat nap, and other events for cat lovers. Fans are not permitted to bring cats or other animals to Nationals Park for Cat-urday.
• Go on a Potomac Pirate Cruise. That’s a very summer thing to do.
• Enjoy The Honey Dewdrops at Hill Country.
• Sydnee Washington and Anna Drezen are at Drafthouse Comedy DC.
• Go to D.C.’s newest Indian restaurant: Pappe. We loved it.
• Steve Hofstetter is at 9:30 Club.
• FREE PICK OF THE DAY: We like Night Out at Rock & Roll Hotel. It’s our pick because The Lothario and Mathias are DJing.
• BALTIMORE PICK: Summer means it’s time for crab feasts.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our SHINY NEW UPDATED DC BRUNCH GUIDE.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• We like the Fringe Festival Preview at Pearl Street Warehouse. Check out 4 minute previews of 20+ shows.
• King Princess plays U Hall.
• Prepare for sugar battle at Cupcake Wars DC at Studio 52.
• Celebrate 20 years of The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill with Ms. Lauryn Hill at Jiffy Lube Live.
• Spend the afternoon checking out Heavy Metal at the National Musuem of Women in the Arts. It’s not about music.
• The show people in your office will ask you if you’re watching, Sharp Objects, premiers on HBO.
• FREE PICK: Last chance to check out the Smithsonian Folklife Festival.
• BALTIMORE PICK: Last chance to check out Cirque du Soleil’s Crystal: A Breakthrough Ice Experience. You like circus stuff on ice, right?
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT CALENDAR PAGES, so use it and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time…