Hey everyone! This week’s selection of events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress with the original cast of Melrose Place as a theme because this year marks the 25th anniversary of the show, and why not.
• Our Heineken AfterWork series continues with a Puppy Happy Hour @ The Brig / Trivia Night @ Bar Deco AND a GLOW Yoga Event @ W with our friends from Lululemon – all events are free, and include free beers for early birds, you just need to RSVP to the links above.
Some really cool things coming up in the next few weeks
• BENTZEN BALL 2017 is coming. Nat Geo and Renwick announcements are coming. FotoWeekDC announcements are coming. Other surprises are coming. Keep your eyes peeled.
Can you even contain the excitement? Contain it.
• You’re drinking La Croix. We drank 51 different flavors of La Croix, sparkling waters and club soda for our La Croix/Sparkling Water/Club Soda Taste Test.
• The summer means Tiki drinks. We tried the Tiki drinks at Truxton Inn.
• We updated our Biergarten Guide.
• National Aunt and Uncle Day is apparently a thing so we wrote about our favorite aunts and uncles from TV and film.
• This is one final weekend of July. You still have some time to have YOUR BEST JULY.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• We really enjoyed to tell my story at Silver Spring Black Box Theatre. See it while you can. It has a very short run.
• Jidenna is at The Howard Theatre.
• Beer education is important. Go learn something at the Atlas Brew Works Beer School.
• Cymbals Eat Guitars is at Black Cat.
• The D.C. Swim Week Launch Party is at the St. Gregory.
• Jagwar Ma is at Rock & Roll Hotel. Get there early for My French Roommate.
• Have a laugh at The Facebook Monologues at Drafthouse Comedy.
• Suzanne Ciani’s A Life In Waves screens at Suns.
• Alt-J is at Merriweather Post Pavilion.
• Hang out late in the Newseum for Newseum Nights: Rock On!
• The show of the night is Joseph & the Beasts, Honest Haloway, and Incredible Change at 9:30 Club.
• Try The Smith’s new breakfast. We enjoyed it.
• Will Eastman and DJ Ayes Cold are at U Hall.
• We endorse Found Footage Festival: Cherished Gems at the Arlington Drafthouse.
• C.W. Stoneking is at DC9.
• The tribute show to Chuck Berry at the AMP by Strathmore featuring BYT fave Anthony Pirog looks great.
• Hypnotist Flip Orley is at DC Improv.
• Stolen Jars and Bellows are at Songbyrd. Get there early for Fraternal Twin.
• The Porron by ANXO launch event is a good bet.
• Duupont Underground keeps producing interesting stuff. Tonight is the Poetry Slam & LITERAOKE as part of the Asian American Literature Festival.
• Cryfest: The Cure vs. The Smiths Dance Party returns to Black Cat.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Go play! It’s time for Retro Field Day!
• We’ll be taking photographs at the National Dance Day at the Kennedy Center.
• It’s fair season. Go to the Loudon County Fair.
• Taqueria del Barrio now has a drag brunch.
• San Diego Comic-Con is over. NOVA CON is now.
• Hang out at Colony Club and celebrate one of D.C.’s best newsletters: 730DC.
• Buy some pins at the Federal Pins Pop Up Shop. Please buy me some pins.
Go home and regroup for the evening:
• It’s Ladies Night at Nats Park.
• Jamila Woods is at Songbyrd. Surprised this isn’t in a bigger venue.
• Head to the W Hotel for a free show by Angelica Garcia, as part of the Record Store Crawl day.
• Fleet Foxes bring the quiet to Merriweather.
• Aretha Franklin brings the diva to Wolf Trap.
• Visit Edgewood Studios and check out the DC Poster Project.
• Purple Rain screens at Suns.
• Kill Lincoln headlines Black Cat. The show poster is great.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your viewing pleasure:
• We’re recapping Game of Thrones.
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• Some of us will be at Belle & Sebastian, Spoon, Andrew Bird, and Ex Hex at Merriweather Post Pavilion.
• Buy some records at the Silver Spring Record Fair.
• End your week with Death of Louis XIV at NGA.
• Lee Bains III & the Glory Fires is at DC9.
• Pisco Party at China Chilcano!
• The Betamax Video Club meets at Ten Tigers.
• The Second City’s Almost Accurate Guide to America: Divided We Stand continues at the Kennedy Center.
• BJ The Chicago Kid headlines Fillmore Silver Spring.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, keep up the good work. Or else…