Hey everyone! This week’s selection of events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress with Jason Mantzoukas as a theme because we are in the process of our annual campaign to try and get “How Did This Get Made” to Bentzen Ball.
Some really cool things coming up in the next few weeks
• We are THRILLED the Bentzen Ball Podcast Studio is coming back to the Kennedy Center next weekend. Michael Ian Black! Mortified! Reductress!
• Also next weekend is the REI Skillet Battle. Eat something!
• Plus, some BIG, MASSIVE, SUPER SHINY announcements coming up so: stay forever in the loop and follow us on Facebook & Twitter & Instagram & Pinterest. Use #BYThings too.
Can you even contain the excitement? Contain it.
• D.C. is a city of group houses. So now we have a Group House Guide.
• And now we have a Living Alone Guide.
• We’re giving away passes to skip the line at the Game of Thrones pop-up bar. No money or blood necessary.
• We’re excited about ChiKo. Based on our First Look’s reaction, so are you.
• It’s hot. Go the pool. Read books. These are the books you should read at the pool.
• Our Hidden In Plain Sight left the humid weather for the dry weather. The newest piece, Three Days in the Desert, is now available.
• Welcome to July. Have YOUR BEST JULY.
• Plus, we brought you our weekly FREE AND ALMOST FREE THINGS TO DO IN D.C. & SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK & EATING OUT & THE WEEK IN OUTSIDE. USE THEM.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• We recommend WITCH TAINT: The Black Metal Dialogues LIVE! with Dave Hill and Phil Costello at Black Cat.
• Watercolors + Hopstails at Union Market. There will be a little bit a free beer courtesy of our friends at Heineken and way more free fun.
• We also recommend Margaret Cho at the Lisner.
• It’s Anxo’s first birthday and they’re celebrating with free Txotx and lots of cider.
• John Witherspoon begins a run at the DC Improv.
• Kehlani is at Fillmore Silver Spring and sold out for a reason.
• Watch Moana in the Capitol Riverfront Canal Park.
• Cabaret is at Kennedy Center.
• Watch The Princess Bride on the Library of Congress lawn.
+ ALL SORTS OF other stuff (SERIOUSLY, JUST SO MANY)
• Happy Bastille Day! Celebrate at the 4th Annual Bastille Day Celebration at Le Diplomate.
• Dance to Escape-ism (feat. Ian Svenonius) and Irreversible Entanglements at the Luce Showcase.
• We like Les Nubians and Sahel at The Hamilton.
• James Taylor & His All-Star Band and Bonnie Raitt play Nationals Park. This may be the most American pick of the year.
• My Morning Jacket and Gary Clark Jr. play Merriweather Post Pavilion. This is also a very American show.
• The Dollop records an episode at 9:30 Club.
• Rush Plus and 1432 R are at U Hall.
• The funny Kurt Braunholer is at Drafthouse Comedy.
• Royal Headache headline Black Cat.
• Watch The Maltese Falcon at our favorite cemetery.
• Wild Rivers and Chris Cassaday are at Songbyrd.
• NGA screens Sofia Coppola’s Marie Antoinette.
Do some daytime stuff:
• It’s Sweetlife Block Party day! You can go for free if you want.
• DC Zinefest is back! Go buy some locals words!
• Some of us will be spending the afternoon at Cirque du Denizens Presents: Carnivale at Denizens Brewing.
• Other will be at the Taco, Beer & Tequila Fest at Yards Park.
• The Lululemon in Georgetown has the Flow & Beats Yoga with Mimi Rieger and Stray Solo.
• Join Leica on a photo walk.
• FREE ICE CREAM AT DC SCOOP AT UNION MARKET! IT IS SO DAMN HOT OUTSIDE.
• Dig deep into some East Coast architecture with NGA‘s screening of Windshield: A Vanished Vision.
Go home and regroup for the evening:
• BYT faves No Kings Collective celebrates their eighth anniversary at The Lot at the Liz.
• The big show of the weekend is the Merriweather Post Pavilion’s 50th Anniversary Concert with Willie Nelson, Jackson Browne, Father John Misty, and Grace Potter. Everyone can agree that Willie Nelson is great, right? It’s like him and The Rock. Those are the only two people everyone can agree on.
• We recommend Desus Nice & The Kid Mero at 9:30 Club.
• The Simpsons staffs’ favorite band NRBQ plays AMP by Strathmore.
• GAY / BASH takes over TRADE.
• Time for Reggae Fest at The Howard Theatre
• Common People is at Black Cat.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Game of Thrones returns. That’s a very popular show.
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• Bitch Sesh records two shows at 9:30 Club. Casey Wilson seems like a great friend.
• Best concert of the night is The Kickback at Black Cat.
• We recommend Classic Album Sunday: Kraftwerk Trans-Europe Express at Songbyrd.
• Warped Tour is at Merriweather. You’re most likely too old for Warped Tour. Don’t be that person.
• Zac Brown Band is at Jiffy Lube Live.
• Takoma Radio is celebrating their first full year of broadcasts with a day of music.
• Hang out with your good friends Glenn Close and John Malkovich at NGA’s screening of Dangerous Liaisons. Close and Malkovich will not be there. Probably. Most likely.
• Wet Mut, Palette, Older Bother, and Foster Carrots at Slash Run should be good.
• The revived The Originalist continues at Arena Stage.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, keep up the good work: