Hey DC! Looking for things to do this weekend? BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress. This week’s theme is midsummer-night’s-dread, to get you in the mood for our Friday 13th, Unseensters After Hours @ Smithsonian American Art Museum.
• OCTOBER 25-28: The 2018 edition of Bentzen Ball Comedy Festival – curated by Tig Notaro, produced by us, enjoyed by all of you. Lincoln All Access Passes ARE SOLD OUT. Tig tickets now on sale and going very fast. Michelle Buteau / #Adulting and Amanda Seales / Smart Funny & Black tickets are on sale tomorrow at 10AM!
• NOVEMBER 3-4: Our first true crime fest: Death Becomes Us!Aall access festival passes are
now available sold-out. Individual show tickets (Buzzfeed Unsolved! Last Podcast On The Left! How Did This Get Made – True Crime Edition!) are on sale today at 10am.
• We taste tested all of the low calorie ice creams like Halo Top and Enlightened. Are they as good as regular ice cream? Absolutely not!
• The All-Star Game is Tuesday at Nats Park. Drink and food specials and special events have already begun. Consult our All-Star Game Guide for more info.
• The Capital Fringe Festival is going on now. Read our preview.
• The intersection of art and surveillance: “Surveillance, Code Names and the Dark Web with Photography Curator John Jacob”
• It’s July. Have Your Best July.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
•Set your alarm for 10AM and grab some True Crime tickets.
•Britney performs at MGM. Come back to BYT Friday because we’re reviewing Britney at the MGM.
• Some of us will be at Hatsune Miko Expo 2018 at The Anthem. Holograms, baby!
• Play some bingo at Union Market. No holograms, baby!
• The All-Star Baseball Film Festival begins at the Warner Bros. Theater at the National Museum of American History with screenings of A League of Their Own and Eight Men Out. It continues through Sunday.
• When’s the last time you went to a tiki bar? These are D.C.’s best tiki bars.
• Medium Cindy Kaza performs at a sold-out DC Improv. Read our interview with Medium Cindy Kaza.
• The sixth March on Washington Film Festival begins today and runs through July 21.
• Jeff Foxworthy performs at the Kennedy Center. He’s an expert at identifying certain groups of people.
• FREE PICK: The D.C. Public Library is amazing because in addition to providing services like books (and e-books and audiobooks!) and punk shows, they embrace all aspects of life and death. Head to the Petworth branch for Death Cafe.
• BALTIMORE PICK: Snail Mail has their album release show at The SNF Parkway. Read our interview with Snail Mail.
•Set your alarm for 10AM and get some Bentzen Ball Comedy Festival tickets.
•Our last party of the summer! Friday the 13th! Hang out with us Unsceensters at the Smithsonian American Art Museum.
• Juanes plays Wolf Trap.
• Not every couple should be a couple. Let Me Break You Up: An Anti-Dating Game Show is cognizant of this fact. See it at Black Cat.
• The All-Star Game is next Tuesday at Nats Park but festivities surrounding it begin today. We like The All-Stars of Craft Beer at Bluejacket. It begins tonight and runs through Tuesday.
• Another All-Star Game related series of events we recommend is MLB Assembly at District Pier at The Wharf. Special collaborations between street wear designers and MLB begins today and goes through Monday.
• If you’re headed to MLB Assembly, stop by the brand new La Vie. It’s gorgeous.
• The very large Geico All-Star FanFest begins at the Convention Center and runs through Tuesday. I may go Sunday since Andre Dawson will be there Sunday and Andre Dawson is my favorite baseball player. I batted like him as a kid with not great results and wear my Andre Dawson jersey as an adult with great results.
• The new musical based on the film Dave opens tonight at the Arena Stage.
• FREE PICK: Po Boy Jim is now open in Shaw and they’re giving away hurricanes, beer and beignets from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
• BALTIMORE PICK: After the Broken have their EP release show at Baltimore Soundstage.
Do some daytime stuff:
• The All-Star related event that looks most interesting this Saturday is Major League Baseball’s Culture + Code at Blind Whino. Don’t miss the Negro League Baseball Museum exhibit.
• Some of us will be in Virginia for the Crooked Run 5 Year Anniversary Party.
• Another good daytime beer party is Mad Fox’s 8th Anniversary.
• If you’d rather run than drink beer (you can do both, most every runner we know also loves craft beer), consider The Color Run All-Star 5K Presented by Nike.
• Mission Navy Yard opens this weekend.
• Spend the morning feeling good about the future at the Girls Rock! DC Summer 2018 Showcase at 9:30 Club.
• Take a nap…
• You, Me, Them, Everybody Live celebrates Bastille Day at The Wonderland Ballroom. Teen Mortgage is the musical guests. They are fun.
• Sugarland plays Merriweather Post Pavilion. Read our interview with Sugarland’s Kristian Bush.
• We like Now, Now at Songbyrd.
• Enjoy Beethoven’s Ninth played by the National Symphony Orchestra outside at Wolf Trap.
• China Chilcano is in the midst of their Ceviche Festival. Every time I watch a food travel show I’m glad I live in D.C. We have everything from everywhere.
• Wussy is at Black Cat. Their 2014 album Attica is fantastic.
• Bill Maher is at DAR. Dudes got too many rules.
• Katie Herzig is at U Hall.
• FREE PICK OF THE DAY: If you’re looking for some free, family friendly All-Star related activities, we like the All-Star Summer Riverfest at Yards Park.
• BALTIMORE PICK: The Baltimore Carnival begins today.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our SHINY NEW UPDATED DC BRUNCH GUIDE.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
• Pair it with some ice cream (Happy National Ice Cream Day!)
Or check out our summer reading list.
Leaving the house?
• Find a nice Jewish boy at the Mister Nice Jewish Boy competition at U Hall.
• Don’t look back in anger with The Get Up Kids at 9:30 Club.
• Check out Fractal Worlds at Artechouse. These photos will make you want to check it out.
• Shania Twain brings her NOW show to Capital One Arena.
• Jill Scott is at MGM National Harbor. Her Saturday show is sold-out.
• FREE PICK: Head to the National Gallery of Art for their new exhibit: Sense of Humor.
• BALTIMORE PICK: If you’ve casually read BYT the last year you may know BYT’s Kaylee Dugan is a legitimate Jimmy Buffett fan. Don’t be surprised if you see her at Jimmy’s Famous Seafood’s Margaritaville Crab Feast.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT CALENDAR PAGES, so use it and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time… don’t forget to look over your shoulder