Hey DC! Looking for things to do this weekend? Our BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress. The edition’s theme is Marie Kondo and the joy it’s sparking in all of us.
• We now have a true crime column.
• Valentine’s Day is less than a month away. You’re running out of time to get good sets at a good restaurant at a good time.
• We watched both Fyre Fest docs. Neither answered an obvious question.
• Academy Award nominations have been announced. Here’s what we think.
• It’s cold outside. We’ve updated our Ramen and Pho Guide.
• It’s cold outside. We wrote about hot pot.
• Another year, another shutdown, another Women’s March.
• If you’re looking for some photos that’ll spark joy, take a look at our behind the scenes photos of Matthew Bourne’s Cinderella at the Kennedy Center.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
LET’S DO THIS
• Kacey Musgraves is at The Anthem. We love everything about Kacey Musgraves.
• We would recommend the Still Woozy show, but it’s very sold out.
• Watch My Neighbor Totoro at A Baked Joint.
• If you like Bad Bad Hats, you’ll like Con Davison at The Pie Shop.
• Patagonia opens a new store in Geogetown with a grand opening party.
• Super Diamond is at 9:30 Club. Do you like Neil Diamond?
• Or you could go see Windham at U Street Music Hall.
• Make your 2019 vision board at The Lemon Collective.
• You can learn how to make kombucha at Union Market if you’re feeling extra crafty.
• FREE PICK: It’s tarot night at Slash Run. We see a burger in your future.
• BALTIMORE PICK: They Live is screening at The Charles.
• It’s the Night of 1000 Fridas and there are art events all over the city.
• NSO Pops is teaming up with Brandy and it all sounds delightful.
• White Ford Bronco, D.C.’s favorite cover bad, is at the Rock & Roll Hotel.
• Head to Vaulte X-XII, D.C.’s mysterious anti-street wear brand, for their opening party. Their address will be revealed on their Instagram account the day of the party.
• Watch the anime Fireworks at the Embassy of Japan.
• Head to the 9:30 Club for a very indie night with Guster.
• Head back to A Baked Joint for a coffee and chocolate tasting.
• The Disco Biscuits play Lincoln Theatre.
• Linda Eder is at The Barns at Wolf Trap.
• ModCloth is hosting a huge sample sale at their D.C. outpost.
• BALTIMORE PICK: Sun Ra Arkestra is at the Ottobar. Get there early to grab a good seat at the bar (or on the dance floor).
Do some daytime stuff:
• Spend some time at the National Museum of Women In the Arts‘ Rodarte exhibition.
• The Smithsonian Museums are still closed. Artechouse is not.
• Learn how to make sushi at O-Ku’s sushi making class.
• Kimberly Pendleton hosts a Women’s Empowerment Retreat today and Sunday.
• Re-calibrate for the evening:
• The flower shop you’ve been waiting for, She Loves Me, has an opening night party. Sign up to their mailing list for more info.
• The excellent Neko Case is at Lincoln Theatre.
• Happy International Sous Vide Day! Enjoy a celebratory dinner at the Embassy of France.
• Monster Jam does their loud truck stuff at Capital One Arena.
• The Upright Citizens Brigade touring company stops by Sixth & I.
• TK Echo and Spyne share a bill at Rhizome.
• The Current Affairs has a live recording of their podcast at Rock & Roll Hotel.
• Children’s National hosts their Dancing After Dark party at Dock 5.
• Enjoy some Bolivian wine at Mess Hall.
• FREE PICK OF THE DAY: Stop by Allegory for an Otherfeels DJ set.
• BALTIMORE PICK: See Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at the Hippodrome.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our DC BRUNCH GUIDE.
Leaving the house?
• Buy some vinyl at the 10th anniversary of the DC Record Fair at Penn Social.
• Catch Au Hasard Balthazar at Suns Cinema. It’s a movie about a donkey.
• Fairfax hosts their version of Comic Con at George Mason.
• King Princess plays 9:30 Club.
• Head to Ten Tigers for their Betamax Video Club. This week they’re playing Rock ‘n’ Roll Nightmare.
• Wind down (or up) your weekend with an ice cream tasting at Ice Cream Jubilee.
• FREE PICK: The shutdown continues. We’re still updating our Shutdown Guide.
• BALTIMORE PICK: The Charmery is hosting an immersive screening of The Princess Bride. We’re not entirely sure what that means, but we’re interested.
And just like that, the weekend is over.
THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT CALENDAR PAGES, so use it and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
until next time, keep up the good work: