Hey DC! Looking for things to do this weekend? BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress. This week’s theme is the delicious combination of tequila, lime, orange liqueur and salt referred to as a margarita, because Saturday is National Margarita Day or something. Also, this Best Weekend Bets is sponsored by National Geographic! Their magazine is amazing, their museum is amazing and their events are amazing.
ALERT ALERT ALERT Incrediball: The Capital Pride Honors & Kick-Off Party is June 5th and we are V. PUMPED!
AND in case you didn’t know, we recently announced Future Is Festival (happening March 26th-29th) and YES RHEA BUTCHER IS ON THE LINEUP THIS IS NOT A DRILL.
Grab an all-access pass (ON SALE NOW) to Death Becomes Us, which is slated for November 2020!
Plus Bentzen Ball 2020 all-access passes are on sale! October’s a ways off, but we still vote you GET ‘EM NOW!
• Interested in all the cool events Nat Geo has cooking up? We have a handy dandy guide for you.
• And speaking of guides, check out our newly updated ramen & pho guide! Usually we run this when it’s cold, but the earth is dying!
• We called up David Gray to talk about his excellent album White Ladder. Give it a listen and give this a read.
• Need some fashion inspo in your life? Scroll through these Heartbreaker’s Ball photos.
• We can’t stop thinking about Shipwreck at Woolly Mammoth. If you’re going to see a play this season, make it this one.
• RADIORADIORADIO: Listen to BYT radio! Hosted by Brandon Wetherbee, it streams every Thursday at noon on Full Service Radio. Listen live. Subscribe in iTunes.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: Tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
you look ready
• Cam’ron? Is? At? The? Howard? Theatre?
• Celebrate Ozzy’s newest album with a tattoo at Tattoo Paradise. It’s a thing you can do!
• DC photographer Darrow Montgomery takes over Slash Run for a night of sweet pics.
• Stop by DC9 to catch The Big Easy, Proper Nouns, cirls and Magazine Beach.
• The ZineLab is open at the Woodridge Library. Go make your own magazine, baby.
• Suns Cinema is screening the 1989 doc Tongues Tied.
• The shutters are open in the Peacock Room at the National Museum of Asian Art. Go bask in the sunshine.
• Get your fill of jazz at The Dennis Sampson Quartet’s show at the Anacostia Arts Center.
• And it’s the first day of the Mother Tongue Film Festival!
• FREE PICK: Head to the Maryland Art Place for the opening reception of their new exhibition Merkin Dream, which features (surprise!) art all about the merkin. It definitely has our attention.
• Refused is teaming up with Youth Code and Racetraitor to play the 9:30 Club.
• Have you ever wanted to dine in pitch darkness? So dark, you can’t see your plate in front of you? We have the answer to your prayers.
• Celebrate D.C.’s Anthony Pirog with a birthday party / concert at the Black Cat’s Red Room.
• ArtMakers is hosting a night of stories and art with the artist Dina Kesbeh.
• Pinkwash, Saffron and Lohesh are at the venue / pizza palace Comet Ping Pong.
• Desiree Dik’s OddBall at Slash Run is not to be missed. This celebration of queer artists is always a good time.
• Get wild at 7DrumCity‘s Sludge Night featuring tunes by Horehound, Foehammer and Bailjack.
• Yang Market is throwing their grand re-opening celebration! There’s going to be free samples and giveaways.
• Bring your pickled things to Rhizome‘s Fermentation Club.
• FREE PICK: Up your recipe game at the American History Museum‘s Cooking Up History event. This time they’ll be sharing recipes from the book Jubilee: Recipes from Two Centuries of African American Cooking.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Revamp your wardrobe with some sweet vintage finds at Femme Fatale.
• Take a beer break at Pizzeria Paradiso‘s Winterfest.
• End your day time activities with a Mardi Gras parade at the Wharf.
• Espita is celebrating the holiday with Mayahuel margaritas, which you can get for the low low price of $6.50.
• Or you can order the Pineapple Train Wreck margarita at El Techo. $1 from every marg will go straight to No Kid Hungry.
• Or you can grab a variety of $8 margaritas / enjoy the classic marg for $5 at happy hour at Tacos Tortas & Tequila.
• Or you can sip on $7.50 margaritas at Mission in Navy Yard.
• Or you can get real wild on $4.99 margaritas at P14. Please don’t die.
• Once your good and drunk, cry and dance your night away at Black Cat‘s annual Cryfest dance party.
• Need a break from all the margaritas? Hit up Insight, Eaton’s very own wellness festival.
• FREE PICK OF THE DAY: The Mother Tongue Film Festival continues with screenings from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews. Or our new, super handy MURDER MYSTERY GUIDE.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our DC BRUNCH GUIDE. It’s useful.
Leaving the house?
• Start your day with an underground art market at the (surprise!) Dupont Underground.
• Forget about our monuments, learn about the District’s monumental controversies at Profs & Pints’ lecture at Bier Baron.
• Bad Idols, Boayt and Barking Carnies are at Slash Run! Go for a late brunch and stay for an early show.
• The Iranian Film Festival continues with a screening of Like Someone In Love at the National Museum of Asian Art.
• Pop by the always lovely Folger Theatre for their groovy version of The Merry Wives of Windsor.
• Dance the weekend away with Black Lips, Warish and Thunderpaw at Union Stage.
• Learn all about the iconic Obama portraits at a talk with the National Portrait Gallery staff at Politics and Prose.
• Or you can swing by NGA to learn about the longstanding practice of painting outdoors.
• Then get a cocktail at Suns Cinema and settle in for a screening of Sidewalk Stories.
• FREE PICK: NGA, our favorite free movie theatre, is showing the short Borom Sarret and the 1966 film La Noire de…
And just like that, the weekend is over:
THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT CALENDAR PAGES, so use it and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Until next time…