Hey DC! Looking for things to do this weekend? BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress. To celebrate Repeal Day/Week AND the kick off of holiday party season, we focus on some cocktail-y gifs this weekend.
• It’s finally December. Have Your Best December.
• We asked some of our favorite chefs about the cookbook that made them want to be a chef.
• You may not realized it, but regardless of your age, ethnicity, gender or sexuality, you want to bone down with a Property Brother.
• Gift giving season is upon us. Consult part 1 of our annual gift guide.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• Aslin Snow Daze begins today and runs through Sunday.
• Patterson Hood of Drive-By Truckers plays a solo show at Pearl Street Warehouse.
• The next Phillips After 5 is themed Nordic Holiday.
• Cirque continues their ice show at Capital One Arena.
• Funny person Jane Lynch performs at City Winery.
• Jewel plays some holiday tunes at Lincoln Theatre.
• JD McPherson plays some holiday tunes at Black Cat.
• 98 Degrees plays some holiday tunes at Fillmore Silver Spring.
• The Ballroom Thieves and Odetta Hartman share a bill at Rock & Roll Hotel.
• The DC Moth Storyslam returns to The Miracle Theatre.
• FREE PICK: We’ll be at the 7th Annual Winternational in the Reagan Building atrium. It’s a good reminder of the dozens of fantastic embassies in D.C.
• BALTIMORE PICK: Butt Nothing at Ottobar should be good and loud.
• You, Me, Them, Everybody has their 10 year anniversary show at The Wonderland Ballroom with guests Alexandra Petri, Loi Loi and more. Full disclosure: the guy writing this is the host of this show. Hi.
• Anna and the Apocolypse is in theaters beginning today. Listen to our interview with the Anna in that title, actress Ella Hunt.
• Khruangbin plays a sold-out 9:30 Club. We like their Christmas tune.
• Visit the recently opened Bombay Street Food.
• See Divide and Conquer: The Story of Roger Ailes and listen to our interview with director and producer Alexis Bloom on BYT Radio.
• If you’d like to live in fear and hear about Fear, you may want to attend A Conversation with Bob Woodward at Lincoln Theatre.
• Marissa Nadler at Songbyrd is a good option.
• Buy some gifts at Miss Pixie’s 6th Annual Holiday Market.
• The Mortified story telling show returns to Black Cat.
• Another chance to attend a smelly party. Time for the second Smells Like DNA: A Pheromone Party.
• FREE PICK: Stay in and enjoy the RuPaul’s Drag Race Holi-Slay Spectacular on VH1.
• BALTIMORE PICK: Charm City Comedy Project presents Prim and Proper at Zissimos Bar.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Shop local. Shop the Adams Morgan Day 2018 Holiday Market.
• Look at the holiday themed train displays at the U.S. Botanic Garden.
• Interested in a pinball tournament?
• Stroll through The Park at CityCenter’s Winter in Washington display.
• Jingle and mingle at Oliver Brewing Company’s Jingle and Mingle.
• Check the time:
• One of the reasons for our theme is finally here. The DC Craft Bartenders Guild’s 11th Annual Repeal Day Ball is at the National Union Building.
• Excited for Juice WRLD at Echostage?
• Strange and beautiful Rufus Wainwright is at Strathmore.
• The Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington has their holiday show, aptly titled The Holiday Show, at Lincoln Theatre.
• Underrated and missed late night talk show host Craig Ferguson brings his stand up show to MGM National Harbor.
• Wunder Garten hosts their Ugly Sweater Party.
• The Second City’s Love, Factually kicked off its Kennedy Center run this week.
• The nerd in your life might enjoy Nerd Nite at DC9.
• FREE PICK OF THE DAY: Take a stroll through Georgetown GLOW.
• BALTIMORE PICK: It’s Dollar Days at the National Aquarium. We’ve raved about the National Aquarium before and we’ll do it again. This is a huge savings on an amazing space.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our SHINY NEW UPDATED DC BRUNCH GUIDE.
Leaving the house?
• Happy 5th birthday, Right Proper Shaw!
• It may be heavy but it is worth your time. We enjoyed Indecent at Arena Stage.
• Celebrate Hanukkah at Ivy and Coney’s Hanukkah themed pop-up.
• We are definitely in holiday party season. Today is the 3 Stars 7th Annual Holiday Party.
• We are definitely in gift buying season. Today is the D.C. Holiday Market at Dock 5.
• Seattle’s finest BenDeLaCreme and Jinkx Monsoon come to 9:30 Club.
• Take advantage of Lupo Verde’s new Sunday Supper menu.
• FREE PICK: Stop by The Wonderland Ballroom holiday party.
• BALTIMORE PICK: It’s the final drone brunch of the year at Holy Underground.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT CALENDAR PAGES, so use it and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.