Hey DC! Looking for things to do this weekend? BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress. This week’s theme is booze because Repeal Day is today! It’s five o’clock somewhere…
• We’re hosting a winter book swap at The Phillips Collection. Bring your books! Bring your friends!
• We’re giving away tickets to see A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood with Miriam’s Kitchen.
• Drink outside all winter at these D.C. bars.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: Tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• She and Him are throwing a Christmas party with Pete Lee at The Anthem. Do you think the HGTV man will be there?
• And BYT Friends Church Night are hosting a holiday spectacular at the Black Cat. It’s a good night for seasonal shows.
• Get your hands on some hard to find Pinthouse Pizza beers from Austin at Pizzeria Paradiso in Dupont. Pair some pizza pizza with some pizza beer.
• Madeon is playing a sold out show with Devault at U Street Music Hall.
• Eat and drink and dance at Tiger Fork‘s annual pop up night market.
• Swing by a Luce Unplugged show to jam out with Washington Social Club.
• Or you can dance to Color Palette (and soak up some art) at Phillips After 5.
• Bring your pups to Dacha for a holiday photo shoot. This is also probably a good dog watching opportunity if you don’t have a dog!
• The National Museum of American History is hosting a wine tasting and a screening of Love Actually. Get drunk and admire Bill Nighy.
• FREE PICK: Head to the Former Residence of the Ambassadors of Spain for Of Gods and Men, an experimental theatre performance.
• You, Me, Them, Everybody turns 11 years old with a show at The Wonderland Ballroom featuring The Washington Post’s Chris Richards and funny people Haywood Turnipseed Jr., Kate Flaherty and Andrew Bucket.
• Georgetown is flicking on the lights and kicking off Georgetown GLOW! Go check out the amazing (and very free) light up sculptures.
• And speaking of lights, swing by Yards Park for their annual Light Yards installation. We’re a very well lit city.
• Miss Pixie’s is hosting a sweet holiday market.
• In more holiday market news, Heurich House Museum is throwing their annual Christkindlmarkt. Go check it out.
• The White House Historical Association is hosting a holiday book fair with author signings, museum replicas and eggnog from a former White House chef.
• And Bluejacket has their holiday extravaganza, if you need some more beer after all your shopping.
• Catch Black Masala, Eastern Standard Time and Leon City Sounds at Union Stage.
• Or check out Safer, Light Beams and Lohesh at Comet Ping Pong.
• Fuel up for the holiday season with an unlimited tasting at Baked and Wired.
• FREE PICK: Spend your night looking at art at the Korean Cultural Center.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Get into the holiday spirit with ARTECHOUSE‘s new exhibition, AURORA: The Spirit of the Northern Lights. It looks stunning.
• Make a day trip to Sterling, VA and check out Rocket Frog’s Winter Warmer Festival. If you like beer, you’ll love this.
• Don’t forget to hit up Big Bear‘s holiday market!
• Celebrate Repeal Day with the DC Craft Bartenders Guild.
• The Wharf is hosting a holiday boat parade. I want a house boat for Christmas.
• Or you can hit up Piramid Scheme, Teething Veils and We Capillaries at Slash Run.
• Watch the musical White Christmas at the National Museum of American History. It’s bad but we love it.
• FREE PICK OF THE DAY: Plus House of Sweden is hosting their holiday market.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our DC BRUNCH GUIDE. It’s useful.
Leaving the house?
• Party it up with DaBaby at Echostage. You know you want to.
• Or you can party it up with Bob Dylan at The Anthem.
• Denizens Brewing is hosting a Drafts & Crafts event. Get your holiday shopping done while sipping on a good brew.
• Rose Jaffe, Jen Pape and more local artists are hosting an art market if you’re looking for a killer local gift.
• Or you could swing by Blagden Alley’s holiday market.
• And while you’re there, you can check out Calico’s winter market.
• Or you can grab some sweet tunes at Right Proper‘s record fair.
• Keep the holiday spirit going at Dew Drop Inn‘s Island of Misfit Toy’s themed holiday party.
• Learn how to bake some classic Italian Christmas treats at Centrolina.
• FREE PICK: It’s your last day to check out the native art market at the National Museum of the American Indian.
THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT CALENDAR PAGES, so use it and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Until next time…