Hey DC! Looking for things to do this weekend? BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress. This week’s theme is books because our Winter Book Swap is this Thursday at The Phillips Collection.
• We’re hosting a winter book swap at The Phillips Collection. Bring your books! Bring your friends!
• It’s the end of the year and you most likely ate food this year. So did these experts. Read our 2019 DC Food Round Up – By the Food Writers.
• It’s the end of the decade. It didn’t make much sense. Read Books To Help You Make Sense of The End of This Year / Decade to help make that sense.
• It’s the end of the decade. You wear clothes and possibly watch films. Read our Best Dressed Movies of The 2000s.
• Spend quality time at work watching the 10 Best Non-SNL Sketches of the 10s.
• If the last decade was a perfume, here’s what it would smell like.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: Tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• Book swap time! Bring a book, take a book, spend $0! Begins at 5 p.m. at The Phillips Collection.
• Last chance to check out Light Yards.
• Turnover and Men I Trust share a bill at 9:30 Club.
• CeeLo Green is performing some holiday jams at The Howard Theatre.
• Skank with The Slackers at U Hall.
• Finally learn what natural wine means at No Kisses.
• Varsity is at Songbyrd.
• Pencil in a little late night dancing with a Washed Out and Nitemoves DJ set at U Street Music Hall.
• Just in time for the holidays, Profs & Pints hosts a lecture on how Dickens “invented” Christmas.
• Terminal Vertigo, Signal 30 and Thunderpaw are at Slash Run. Some of us will be there.
• FREE PICK: Boundary Stone is hosting their fifth annual toy drive. Doing good is always free.
• My Fair Lady at the Kennedy Center looks like a good time.
• It’s the first night of Cirque’s dreamy holiday show at the theatre at MGM National Harbor.
• Lightmare, Lotion Princess and Born Dad make up a very good bill at Black Cat.
• We like Jamel Johnson at Big Hunt. Laugh.
• Very good band named The Bralettes is at Songbyrd.
• Desiree Dik’s Oddball at Slash Run is always a good time.
• For one night only Chef Michael Friedman (of Red Hen) will be taking over the kitchen of CHIKO in Dupont. There’s going to be latkes.
• Get yourself in the holiday spirit with a haunted holiday tour of Georgetown! Every holiday can be a spooky holiday if you try hard enough.
• Relive the 2000’s at 9:30 Club‘s Hot in Herre dance party.
• FREE PICK: Or you can relive the 2000’s at DC9‘s OOPS… I Did It Again! dance party.
Do some daytime stuff:
• The zine La Horchata is curating a mini holiday market at The Line Hotel. Go pick up something good.
• Swing by No Kisses for a succulent and ceramic holiday market by REWILD!
• Take a fun Vincent Van Gogh tour of the National Gallery of Art.
• Buy some gifts at the Black Cat Rock-N-Shop.
• 90s dance party Peach Pit is at DC9. “All I Want For Christmas Is You” is currently #1. Really.
• Thievery Corporation play their annual sold-out shows tonight and tomorrow at 9:30 Club.
• Before or after the show, visit Satellite Room while you can.
• Bad Luck and Amorous are playing at Songbyrd.
• Suns Cinema screens the classic Christmas horror movie Deadly Games AKA Dial Code Santa Claus.
• FREE PICK OF THE DAY: Or you can watch the Czech New Wave film Case for a New Hangman at NGA.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our DC BRUNCH GUIDE. It’s useful. Maybe you could find a place that serves rabbit?
Leaving the house?
• Last chance to check out Amadeus at Folger Theatre.
• Swing by Velvet Lounge to jam out with Credit, 13 Stitches and Pronouns.
• Watch A Christmas Story with all your friends / strangers at the National Museum of American History.
• Miss the 90s party at DC9? Enjoy the 80s party at DC9.
• Go back to Slash Run and have your 2020 future told at their tarot and cocktails night.
• And go back to Profs & Pints to learn about the darkside of Christmas.
• Eat your body weight in latkes at The Green Zone.
• Then stop by Chai-vy and Cohen-y for drinks!
• FREE PICK: The annual National Menorah lighting on The Ellipse begins at 3:15 p.m.
THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT CALENDAR PAGES, so use it and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Until next time…