Hey everyone! This week’s selection of events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress with Issa Rae as a theme because Insecure is life.
• Our Heineken AfterWork series continues with a Puppy Happy Hour @ The Brig / Trivia Night @ Bar Deco AND a GLOW Yoga Event @ W with our friends from Lululemon – all events are free, and include free beers for early birds, you just need to RSVP to the links above.
• Sharks & Recreation is coming! Tickets for our next Nat Geo event are ON SALE NOW!
Some really cool things coming up in the next few weeks
• BENTZEN BALL 2017 is coming. A Renwick announcement is coming. FotoWeekDC announcements are coming. Other surprises are coming. Keep your eyes peeled.
Can you even contain the excitement? Contain it.
• It’s August. Have Your Best August.
• It’s August. Consult our August Comedy Guide.
• Look at all the photos of the pretty people and pretty winners from the RAMMYs!
• We had a chat with Gillian Welch.
• We had a chat with Good Old War.
• We had a chat with Drew Magary.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• Hang out with us and dogs at Heineken AfterWork: Dog Days of Summer Edition at The Brig.
• Day 1 of the 69th annual Fairfax County Fair.
• Every Thursday in August the Hirshhorn hosts their Summer Evenings series.
• We’re excited for National IPA Day at Churchkey.
• Narwhal: Revealing an Arctic Legend opens at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum.
• Dew Drop Inn has a stacked lineup with The Stranger, Posture Mock Identity, Park Snakes, and Mock Identity.
• Phillips Collections hosts the Phillips after 5: Trukfest. We sure do like trucks.
• Last Fort Reno of 2017! Weird Babies, Aaron Leitko, Herschel Hoover.
• Blondie and Garbage co-headline Wolf Trap.
• Head over to National Cathedral for a guided evening of meditative and spiritual dance. We don’t usually mention meditative and spiritual dance.
• First Friday of the month means First Friday Art Walks.
• The W hosts a conversation and singing with the author of Slugg: A Boy’s Life In The Age of Mass Incarceration, Tony Lewis Jr.
• You, Me, Them, Everybody Live returns to The Wonderland Ballroom.
• Head to Comet for Keeper, Slight, Baby Grill, and Trace Mountains.
• Otter Crossing is at Green Lantern.
• Michelle Branch plays a sold-out 9:30 Club.
• Korean Cultural Center’s newest exhibit From Nature: Works by Six Korean Artists opens.
• Dayme Arocena is at AMP by Strathmore.
• Four modern day romance writers for a discussion about romance writing at Politics and Prose.
• Yemi Alade headlines The Howard Theatre.
• The DC Center hosts OutWrite, a celebration of LGBT lit.
• Truckeroo added a couple of more dates this year and this is one of them.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Time for the 17th annual Dog Days! Buy stuff and go to happy hours! Happy hours are fun!
• It’s also Taste of Studio at Studio Theatre. Good timing!
• The SAAM Arcade is great and we will be there and it’s also Sunday.
• We’ll also be at UNION Craft’s 5th Anniversary Party. It’s a very good beer weekend.
• It’s free Graphic Novel Day at Alliance Comics.
• Get drunk during the day time at New Columbia Distillers. They’re releasing a brand new gin.
• Day 1 of the 2017 Summer Spirit Festival at Merriweather Post Pavilion. Babyface, Fantasia, De La Soul and more.
• Stop by Oceanaire for $1 oysters.
Go home and regroup for the evening:
• NPR’s Ari Shapiro is also a singer! See him sing at AMP by Strathmore.
• Mew headlines 9:30 Club.
• People don’t play guitar at the US Air Guitar National Finals at Black Cat.
• We recommend Mike Q & Vjuan Allure at U Hall.
• Laugh with Brian Parise, Stavros Halkias and Brian Parise at Big Hunt.
• Roger Waters brings The Wall to Verizon Center.
•If you’re a coffee snob, check out the AeroPress Regional at Dolcezza Gelato.
• Hole in the Sky has Den-Mate, Antonia, Casual Burn, Wildhoney, and Big Hush.
• The Iris Bell, Elena & Los Fulanos and Boaty Otis are at Songbyrd.
• Looking for something different yet familiar? Go on the Saturday Night Full Moon Tour.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your viewing pleasure:
• We’re recapping Game of Thrones.
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• Day 2 of the 2017 Summer Spirit Festival at Merriweather Post Pavilion. Today features Bell Biv Devoe, SWV, The Internet, En Vogue and more. I hope someone does get it during En Vogue. That’d be cool.
• The food event of the day is Cochon 555 at The Watergate Hotel. Sorry, vegetarians. Come back next week for coverage. Delicious, delicious pig coverage.
• Wonderland Ballroom celebrates their 13th anniversary!
•The DCJCC hosts the Docs in Progress’ new, NEA-funded film series, Docs in the City. Work in progress Searching for My Jewish Soul precedes 51 Birch Street.
• NAH. is at Black Cat. Best poster of the weekend.
• Free community day at the National Museum of Women In the Arts.
• Coldplay fills FedExField. Lots and lots of people have to be excited for this. This band sings about colors.
• J. Cole fills Royal Farms Arena.
• Drink some delicious drinks at the 9th Annual Rickey Competition at Jack Rose.
• Only a few more chances to see The Second City’s Almost Accurate Guide to America: Divided We Stand at Kennedy Center.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, keep up the good work. Or else…