Hey everyone! This week’s selection of events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress with Josh Homme as our theme because Queens of the Stone Age have a new album this week. ROCK!
• Tickets for our next Nat Geo event SHARKS & RECREATION are ON SALE NOW! Holy Ghost DJ Set! Disco Sharks! Real Live Explorers! Early bird tickets sold out. Buy your ticket now. Our events sell out in advance.
• Bentzen Ball 2017 is coming! Ira Glass! Al Franken! Podcasts! Tig Notaro! Amber Tamblyn! Some great shows are on sale. Some shows are already sold out! More shows will be announced soon!
•FotoWeek has been announced! We’re celebrating 10 years of beauty at SPAIN arts & culture and the Mexican Cultural Institute! Get opening party tickets here and enter the annual competitions here.
• A Renwick announcement is coming. Other surprises are coming. Keep your eyes peeled.
• Stay forever in the loop and follow us on Facebook & Twitter & Instagram & Pinterest. Use #BYThings too.
Can you even contain the excitement? Contain it.
• These are the spiciest dishes in D.C. Prepare your tongue.
• Not everyone eats meat. Not everyone wants a veggie burger. So now we have the D.C. Tapas Guide For The Modern Vegetarian.
• DC Beer Week is in full swing. Read our guide and get in the spirit with our long reads The Technicolor Life of 3 Stars Brewing and Freshly Tapped: Solidarity Brett IPA.
•We have photos from: the first weekend of Snow Globe + Cirque Du Soleil + Block and Beer Parties
• We premiered the new video from Loi Loi. It’s very fun.
• Plus, we brought you our weekly FREE AND ALMOST FREE THINGS TO DO IN D.C. & SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK & COME EARLY FOR & HAPPY HOUR HOTLINE & THE WEEK IN OUTSIDE. USE THEM.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• We’re looking forward to the D.C. Burger Battle at Hill Country Backyard BBQ.
• Before you eat, do some yoga and drink some Heineken at the W.
• Little League Champs play the Harbor Dome. Little League Champs is a band. The actual Little League champions will not be there.
• Our DC Beer Week pick of the night is the DC Total Tap Takeover at Churchkey.
• Delta Rae headlines 9:30 Club.
• Aaron Abernathy is at Luce Unplugged.
• Howard Theatre welcomes the kids back to school with performances from YBS Skola, Ayo and Teo, and more.
• Spend your evening hanging out at the Hirshhorn.
• Go to Black Cat for A People’s Choir DC sing-along. Tonight’s theme is The ’90s. That’s a whole decade!
• Cirque du Soleil’s OVO continues their short run at Royal Farms Arena.
+ ALL SORTS OF other stuff (SERIOUSLY, JUST SO MANY)
• Take a date to Hazel and order the Seafood Susan.
• The Beastie Boy’s Mix Master Mike spins at Songbyrd.
• Michael Yo plays the DC Improv as part of their Next Wave series.
• Learn about how the Hirshhorn staff installed Ai Weiwei’s Trace exhibit.
• Watch Purple Rain in 9:30 Club.
• John Mayer plays Jiffy Lube Live while thinking about running through his old high school.
• Our DC Beer Week pick of the night is Cask Night at District ChopHouse.
• Hit up the launch of Knocking on The Door of the White House at Politics & Prose.
• It’ll snow in the Harbor Dome.
• The Crystal Method is at U Hall. They were on the Family Values tour. That was Korn’s tour. Remember that?
• Catch the very Rixe at Slash Run with Digital Octopus, Sem Hastro, Guilt Parade and BBC.
• D.C. Soundclash celebrates 15 years at Marx Cafe.
Do some daytime stuff:
• The Maryland Renaissance Festival is back. Go people watch and get drunk on Bee Stings.
• Head over to Arena Stage for a free community day. There will be a costume sale, live music, dance performances, food and much more.
• Spend the day on 17th St. NW at the 17th Street Festival. Vendors and artists and drag queens and DJs and more.
• Our DC Beer Week pick of the day is the 3 Stars Crab Feast at Brookland Pint.
• Head to the NGA to see some sweet French cinema like Sans lendemain and La tendre ennemie.
• Remind yourself that history is long and this time will pass on the Embassy Row Walking Tour.
Go home and regroup for the evening:
• Dance at the Moombahton Massive Reunion at U Hall.
• Stay overnight at Smithsonian’s National Zoo for Snore & Roar: Elephant Community Center. Sleep near elephants!
• Ritmos Raros returns to Songbyrd with a dance party you don’t want to miss.
• Handsome Hound headline Black Cat. Alliteration!
• Sir Sly plays inside the Harbor Dome.
• Our DC Beer Week pick of the night is BrewHaHa at Old Ebbitt Grill.
• The Chris Robinson Brotherhood bring their hair (all these guys have long hair and beards) to 9:30 Club.
• Celebrate the Rock & Roll Hotel’s 11th anniversary with War On Women.
• John Carpenter’s Big Trouble in Little China plays at Suns Cinema.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Consult our Weekly BYT Guide To DVD Releases / On Demand / Instant Streaming.
• We’re recapping Game of Thrones.
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• Drop Electric, Small Leaks Sink Ships, We Were Black Clouds play Black Cat for United Against Islamophobia (which really should be called United Against Anti-Muslim Bigotry).
• Right Proper’s Brookland location is hosting a record fair if you want to spend your Sunday hanging out with music nerds.
• Jazz musicians Sarah Hughes and Fred Hughes take over the Goethe-Institut‘s basement for an afternoon of free jazz.
• Chingo Bling is at DC Improv.
• Go back to Slash Run to see Lost Balloons, Radiator Hospital, The Rememberables and Scanners.
• If you really like Madame Butterfly, but don’t actually feel like sitting through an opera, go see Yoshiwara at NGA.
• Handsome Hound, Bearcat Wildcat and Lucy Isabel are at Black Cat.
• Only a few more chances to see the snow in the Harbor Dome.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time…