Hey everyone! This week’s selection of events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress with snow globes as our theme because the National Harbor opens their Summer Snow Globe on Friday. Snow! In a globe! In summer!
• Our Heineken AfterWork series continues with a GLOW Yoga Event @ W with our friends from Lululemon. Free entry, free beers for early birds, you just need to RSVP.
• Sharks & Recreation is coming! Tickets for our next Nat Geo event are ON SALE NOW! Holy Ghost DJ Set! Disco Sharks! Real Live Explorers! Early bird tickets sold out. Buy your ticket now. Our events sell out in advance.
• Bentzen Ball 2017 is coming! Some great shows are going on sale this Friday AM! Some great shows are already on sale. The Lincoln Pass (one ticket for all shows at Lincoln Theatre during the fest) is sold out!
• A Renwick announcement is coming. FotoWeekDC announcements are coming. Other surprises are coming. Keep your eyes peeled.
• Stay forever in the loop and follow us on Facebook & Twitter & Instagram & Pinterest. Use #BYThings too.
Can you even contain the excitement? Contain it.
• We’re in the midst of Restaurant Week. 250 restaurants are participating. These are our 17 picks.
• If you’d rather enjoy a Restaurant Week brunch than dinner, consult our 5 Brunches For Restaurant Week picks.
• You’re not going to attend a show and buy a CD. But you may enjoy the sweatshirt with the cucumber that looks like a dick.
• DC Beer Week begins Sunday. Get in the spirit with our long read The Technicolor Life of 3 Stars Brewing.
• Our newest big taste test is Real Cheese Vs. Fake Cheese Taste Test! You won’t believe the results! That’s a lie. You will believe the results.
• Plus, we brought you our weekly FREE AND ALMOST FREE THINGS TO DO IN D.C. & SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK & COME EARLY FOR & HAPPY HOUR HOTLINE & THE WEEK IN OUTSIDE. USE THEM.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• The show of the night is SZA at Fillmore Silver Spring.
• The Hirshhorn is staying open late for August for their Summer Evenings series.
• Dance at Bomba Estereo at 9:30 Club.
• Neil Gaiman fans have to be burlesque fans, right? We’ll find out at American Deitease: A Burlesque Tribute to Neil Gaiman at Bier Baron.
• Bubbles and Bluegrass at The Yards should appeal to people that enjoy bubbles and bluegrass.
• Oak House headlines Black Cat.
• See some a sexy, weird Japanese cinema at Suns’ screening of Woman In The Dunes.
• Sahbabii is at U Hall.
• Listen to Haroon Moghul and Wajahat Ali in conversation about being Muslim in America at Politics and Prose.
• DCMD Presents: DC Music Industry Night at Ten Tigers Parlour.
+ ALL SORTS OF other stuff (SERIOUSLY, JUST SO MANY)
• Start the day by buying some Bentzen Ball tickets: How Did This Get Made Live! Dick Gregory & Aisha Tyler! Ira Glass & Al Franken! Andrea Gibson and Amber Tamblyn! all go on sale at 10am today.
•Rock & Roll Hotel celebrates 11 years with Lee Fields & the Expressions.
• The National Harbor is opening their Summer Snow Globe and you can dance in the snow for the low, low price of $10.
• Hang out with Sisqo, or at least be within a few feet of Sisqo, when Dru Hill plays Howard Theatre.
• The DC Improv celebrates 25 years with the Best of DC Birthday Bash.
• We like Bacchae at Black Cat.
• Think you’re a fan of wrestling since you binged all of GLOW in one weekend? Great! Go to NOVA Pro Wrestling presents Cool For The Summer.
• The Dirty Goose celebrates one year in business. Happy birthday!
• Sugar Shack is opening in Shaw. There will be giveaways, special flavors and more importantly, the first 50 people will get a “donut-a-month” punch card that allows them to redeem a free donut every month.
• The Districts headline 9:30 Club.
• Double Indemnity is a fantastic film and you can watch it in the Congressional Cemetery. This is excellent. I wish this was more often.
• Cirque du Soleil is at EagleBank Arena with OVO.
• Have you been to the fair yet? Just a few more weekend to fair it up! The Arlington County Fair is a close option.
• The 2nd Annual Night Sky Festival begins in the Shenandoah National Park.
• 311 tribute act Evolution is at Solly’s. This sounds incredibly appealing.
Do some daytime stuff:
• There’s a memorial for Cool “Disco” Dan at 9:30 Club at noon.
• Very close to the Harbor Dome is the Chesapeake Crab and Beer Festival.
• Silent movies with live music are the best movies. Catch a ciné-concert of Le miracle des loups at the NGA.
• Hang out in The Bullpen for the DMV Beer Festival and Capital Chili Cookoff.
• We enjoyed Equinox’s brunch quite a bit.
• The 3rd Annual Chuck Brown Day is today in the Chuck Brown Memorial Park.
• The best named food event of the weekend, 808’s and Crabcakes, is at Blind Whino.
• The Humane Rescue Alliance has a Pet Photo Shoot Fundraiser at One Eight Distilling. I want a dog? Should I get a dog? I live in a one bedroom unit and don’t want the dog to feel cramped. I’d rather not have a dog than be a bad dog friend.
Go home and regroup for the evening:
• Surfer Blood is at Slash Run. Nice.
• Hang out in a snow globe! Go see White Ford Bronco play inside the Harbor Dome.
• Head to the Justice Jam benefit show at The Wonderland Ballroom. Proceeds go to DC Abortion Fund and Central American Resource Center.
• No Kings Collective and Rock Creek Social Club have teamed up for The Block Is Hot at The Lot at the Liz. There will be live painting, drinks, music and all the cool things you’ve come to expect from No Kings.
• Xeno & Oaklander play a benefit show for House of Ruth at Black Cat. Lots of good reasons to see live music and raise money for worthy causes this weekend.
• David Sedaris reads words at Wolf Trap.
• DFA Records’ The Juan Maclean plays U Hall.
• If you’re looking for some loud, head to Hole In The Sky for Faunas, Complainer, Coaches, and Ovlov.
• G ∆ Y / B ∆ S H returns to Trade.
• Rue Brown plays the Dupont Underground.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Consult our Weekly BYT Guide To DVD Releases / On Demand / Instant Streaming.
• We’re recapping Game of Thrones.
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• Magic Giant plays inside the Harbor Dome.
• We’re excited for the 4th Annual Brewer’s on the Block at Buffalo & Bergen.
• Another very solid option is Plate of the Union: Tap Takeover at Atlas Brew Works.
• Technically The Beach Boys play Wolf Trap.
• Drafthouse Comedy hosts the Inside Jokes Comedy Mini Conference.
• Go to a talk about art and psychedelics at Uptown Art House. Expect live painting, projections and onsite vending from Glazed & Infuzed.
• Yaddiya has a record release party at Black Cat.
• Band we like FuzzQueen has a single release show at Dew Drop Inn.
• Hang out at the Block Party at RFK Stadium Skate Park.
• Last chance to see Rodgers & Hammerstein’s The King and I at the Kennedy Center.
• Last chance to take advantage of Restaurant Week.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, don’t live in the past.