Hey DC! Looking for things to do this weekend? BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress. This week’s theme is Beverly Hills, 90210 because it’s back baby.
• NEW SPY MUSEUM! NEW SPY MUSEUM PARTY! On August 9, BrightestYoungThings.com + The International Spy Museum Present: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: Party Protocol!
• SAVE THE DATE: November 8-11, Death Becomes Us – True Crime Festival returns to D.C. ALL ACCESS FESTIVAL PASSES ARE ON SALE NOW SOLD OUT! More individual shows are available for sale! Throwing Shade! The Murder Squad! Amanda Knox! BuzzFeed Unsolved!
• It’s August. Have Your Best August.
• Read our chat with singer-songwriter Angie McMahon.
• The only CBD guide you’ll need this weekend: Chilling Out, Maxing, Relaxing All Cool: The CBD Relaxation Guide.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: Tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• Head to the Kennedy Center for another free rooftop happy hour. If this doesn’t become a D.C. summer tradition, we’re going to be very disappointed.
• Bad Moves, Gabby’s Word and Bellows are at Songbyrd. Go listen to some good local bands.
• Eat all of the cheese and drink all of the Swiss cocktails at Stable‘s Swiss National Day party.
• Suns Cinema is screening Taipei Story.
• Spend your night listening to music and drinking cocktails at Lapop.
• This month’s Phillips After 5 is sold out. This is a reminder to buy your tickets for next month’s party in advance.
• Dance to Sonic Eddy, Grex (OAK) and Ted Zook at Dew Drop.
• If you’re looking for even more free things to do, the Flower Hill String Band is at the National Arboretum.
• FREE PICK: Check out ENTATY Music at the Library of Congress Concerts on the Lawn series.
• You, Me, Them, Everybody Live returns to The Wonderland Ballroom with longtime BYT contributor Peter Heyneman.
• 9:30 Club hosts a Daft Punk/French house tribute.
• DC9 hosts the Sexy Back 2000s dance party. You’ll probably hear Daft Punk at this one too.
• Spend the morning with artist Julia Kwon at the Hirshhorn.
• If you’re hankering for more Food Truck Race, you might like Truckeroo at Half Street Fairgrounds.
• That Sephora on 14th St opens today. There’s an opening party with the kind of things you’d expect from a makeup store opening party.
• Enjoy a screening of E.T. live scored by the National Symphony Orchestra at Wolf Trap.
• The 2019 Asian American Literature Festival begins today and runs through Sunday.
• It’s the first Friday so it’s time for First Friday Dupont: Art Walk.
• FREE PICK: Enjoy some jazz in the garden at Jazz in the Garden. You can snap your fingers along to the music.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Spend the day at Braustomp 3. It happens to fall on August 3. That’s convenient.
• Spend the day at Summer Spirit Festival at Merriweather. Anthony Hamilton, Jhené Aiko, Raphael Saadiq and more play the annual, day long fest.
• Time for the grand opening of Shop Made in DC Georgetown.
• Eat a hoagie at Grazie Grazie. We loved it.
• National Gallery of Art’s Essential Cinema: Jonas Mekas series begins with Guns of the Trees followed by The Brig.
• The Bowie vs Queen dance party at Black Cat should please most.
• Rare Essence plays a free show in Fort Dupont Park.
• If the weather is nice the Water Lantern Festival at National Harbor should yield some good Instagram results.
• Mndsgn plays Songbyrd.
• Khalid’s Free Spirit World Tour comes to Capital One Arena.
• Sarah McLachlan performs with the NSO at Wolf Trap. Adopt a shelter dog.
• FREE PICK OF THE DAY: One of the best annual free events is the two day SAAM Arcade at the Smithsonian American Art Museum. It’s today and Sunday. Play a ton of video games for free. Bring hand sanitizer.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our DC BRUNCH GUIDE. New for 2019!
Leaving the house?
• Happy 15th birthday, Wonderland Ballroom!
• Sing someone else’s songs at Rock & Roll Hotel’s live band karaoke.
• Tuxedo (Mayer Hawthorne and Jake One) play 9:30 Club.
• The Holy Circle has their album release show for Sick With Love at Metro Gallery.
• Buy some stuff at Unique Markets at Dock 5 at Union Market.
• Spend the day underground at the Mister Nice Jewish Boy Pageant 2019 at U Hall.
• Winner of seven Hong Kong Film Awards, Project Gutenberg, screens at the Freer.
• FREE PICK: It’s Free Community Day at the National Museum of Women in the Arts.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT CALENDAR PAGES, so use it and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Until next time, don’t forget: