Hey everyone! This week’s (pre-Christmas) events on DC BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress and will use assorted images from JUST FRIENDS since doing a JUST FRIENDS themed Best Weekend Bets is a Christmas gift we give to ourselves every year.
Before we start-a few PSAs…
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS:
- NEW. YEARS. EVE. PARTY! We’re having a RUMSPRINGA party and you’re invited. Ticket prices go up on December 23rd so BUY TICKETS NOW!!!
- You may want to become a VIPER. We’re a little over halfway through our amazing 12 Days of VIPERS giveaways. Seriously. Do this.
- Plus, stay forever in the loop and follow us on Facebook & Twitter & Pinterest too because we have MORE MAJOR EVENT ANNOUNCEMENTS COMING UP!
- HEY IT’S THE HOLIDAYS!!! AND DECEMBER!!! GIFTS!!! AND GIFS!!!
- Have your BEST DECEMBER EVER courtesy of our ultimate month guide (and make sure you check out our DECEMBER THEATRE + DECEMBER COMEDY + DC HOLIDAY MOVIE+ DC HOLIDAY MARKET & POP UP SHOP GUIDES TOO)
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- we published the BEST GIFT GUIDE EVER (pretty much)
- and then we spent some solid time reflecting on 2013 and looking towards 2014:
- 2013 Movie Superlatives (including the crowning of the person who finally killed the manic pixie girl, once and for all)
- DC Food Writers Wrap Up the best of 2013 for you
- The Chillest Moves of 2013
- Our Favorite Bands of 2013 reviewed the musical 2013 for you
- and then our music team told you WHICH BANDS TO WATCH OUT FOR IN 2014
- we discussed THE MOST OVERRATED AND UNDERRATE POP SONGS OF 2013
- and basically told you to never ever ever wear camo again (+ some other trends we hope to NEVER EVER SEE AFTER 2013)
- also-we did a special behind the scenes look at THE WASHINGTON BALLET’s Nutcracker because IT IS THE HOLIDAYS YOU GUYS.
- we also pondered the impending MILLI VANILLI Opera (facts!), discussed DRUGS IN SONGS and got pretty jazzed about Nirvana (finally!) making their way into the rock’n’roll hall of fame
- and we dove DEEP into this amazing HOLIDAY PUNCH RECIPE GUIDE
- and the giveaways are AMAZING this week: LORDE (WIN BEFORE YOU CAN EVEN BUY) + COMMON + CUT COPY and more
- Our trusty SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK guide
- Our weekly FOOD NEWS ROUND UP has all the delicious scoop you can handle in DC
- anyway-it was a REALLY GOOD WEEK, you should read EVERYTHING
- LONG TERM USEFUL:
- Are the PARENTS PLANNING A VISIT? Here’s the only guide you’ll ever need to keep them entertained.
- Our 2013 edition of LEAST DOUCHEY BARS IN DC.
- related: HANGOVER GUIDE-pro tips.
- Our FILM GUIDE: the best new releases, the worst new releases, the DC film events you want to see and more
- Our MUSIC GUIDE: best new albums, music for girls by girls, opening bands worth checking out, HOW TO MAKE IT AS A BAND in DC and more
- Our ART GUIDE: must see museum shows, awesome gallery openings, fairs, pop-ups and cool art events
- Our THEATRE GUIDE: shows to laugh, cry AND think about.
- Our FOOD/DRINK GUIDE: gorgeous photos of delicious food and drinks.
- Our STYLE GUIDE: know what to wear now that it’s cold.
- Our guide to the finest DC TRIVIA NIGHTS
- DC’S MOST AND LEAST EXPENSIVE COCKTAILS. Treat yo’self.
- BRUNCH GUIDE 2013
- And as always-a gentle reminder we now how BYT NYC homepage too and publish a NYC Best Weekend Bets. So….tell yourself/friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
Are you ready for the weekend, now?
Atta girl. So, lets face it-everyone is basically checking out this weekend for the majority of the rest of the year, so you may as well MAKE THE MOST OF THE NEXT FEW DAYS.
- First things first:
- ALSO: peruse our FREE THINGS TO DO IN DC THIS WEEK as well as our HAPPY HOUR HOTLINE for budget friendly outings this weekend. We’re ALWAYS thinking of you. ALWAYS. Though, lets face it-if you want to save some money, just get yourself invited to all the holiday parties around you. DUH.
- speaking of free things the W is hosting a free WE WERE PIRATES show, just RSVP
- speaking of free things our friends at LISTEN LOCAL FIRST host their annual HOLIDAY NINE SHOWCASE on the Millennium Stage
- Civilian Art Projects celebrate their birthday with a Winter White Holiday Extravaganza. Should be fun.
- ELF the Musical is happening at Kennedy Center
- for dancing purposes Dillon Francis and Anamanaguchi are @ 9:30 CLUB and CLASIXX are @ U Hall
- AND there is a Twin Peaks themed dance/burlesque/everything party @ Jimmy Valentine’s. Should be all sorts of amazing, as Twin Peaks themed anything is bound to be..
- plus if you missed John Waters’ Christmas @ Birchmere yesterday, he is at Baltimore Soundstage tonight and tomorrow (details + a mandatory BYT John Waters Christmas Interview right here)
- You know what goes well with Christmas? Serial Killers. You can see how at The Dunes tonight for A Very Serial Killer’s Christmas. Join some of DC’s most delightful/frightening comics (Bentzen Ball alum Adam Friedland, BYT staffer/comic Jenn Tisdale) for this hilarious dark look at Christmas. It’s brought to us by the fine folks of The Encyclopedia Show. Let the tales of holiday murder begin!
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff (SERIOUSLY, JUST SO MANY)
- put those LORDE/SPICE GIRLS/KRIS JENNER Holiday cards in the mail
- go check out ZOO LIGHTS after work. Maybe hold someone’s hand during it or something.
- also free and awesome: KOKAYI is playing a show at 6pm @ Kennedy Center Millenium Stage
- looking for dining suggestions? DC Food Writers/Bloggers/Pro Eaters just selected their 2013 favorites for us, so consider that THE ULTIMATE dinner inspiration food cheat sheet.
- things get EXTRA EXTRA festive with Gay Men’s Chorus’ SPARKLE, JINGLE, JOY
- also, if you’re going to a bar, go to an awesome bar. WHEN IN DOUBT-USE OUR 2013 LIST OF LEAST DOUCHEY BARS IN DC for reference.
- a solid yet dark pre-holiday show feat Lenorable, A Place both Wonderful and Strange and Cavale is at Velvet
- and White Ford Bronco parties down @ RNR Hotel
- AFI Celebrates the 25th year anniversary of DIE HARD, with a special screening.
- If you can somehow score tickets to the sold out Dillon Francis show tonight or Saturday at Terminal 5, we highly recommend doing so. Cashmere Cat is his opener, so both nights should be amazing
- that Princess Bride play is STILL HAPPENING, and still sounding pretty amazing.
- plus, you guys, a QUEEN TRIBUTE.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- lots of awesome daytime stuff to do:
- Still have some holiday shopping to do? Our wonderful GIFT GUIDE is full of (95% locally purchasable) ideas for everyone from the David Lynch Heroine in your life to things to buy for people you want to cuddle with. RESULTS! Also, lots of the holiday markets and pop-ups we told you about-STILL HAPPENING.
- or-go to a matinee of NUTCRACKER. We stopped by to check out the action backstage @ Warner Theatre, and it was almost even more magical than we anticipated.
- lose yourself @ the CAVE installation at Transformer. MAGICAL!
- plus, if you eat brunch at Vinoteca, you can win PRIZES.
- if you are hosting a HOLIDAY PARTY – make some of these punches for your guests. YOU CAN THANK US LATER.
- then, let go and take a break before heading out for the evening:
- at night: the very funny CHURCH NIGHT folks are having a Holiday Spectacular at the Black Cat. BONUS: like, what you see? They’ll be administering whiskey communions at BYT NYE too.
- Southern Efficiency, the final piece of the Mockingbird Hill/Eat the Rich 7th street puzzle opens today. All the whiskey, all the peanut soup. Click here for a first look/photos etc.
- FUTURE TIMES celebrates the holidays @ U Hall
- support local music by checking out Foozle’s tape release @ The Pinch
- and dance all the pain and whiskey away at #CRANKparty9 @ LIV
- If you mustering the energy to go out and dance your ass off again, hit up Classixx and Oliver at Slake, a heckuva double bill.
- Young Gleesh (“your rapper’s favorite rapper”) is having a mixtape release jam @ Velvet
- plus, since it is a great week for cover band worship apparently, pay tribute to Grateful Dead @ Gypsy Sally’s.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff:
- BRUNCH TIME!
- then: grab a BYT NEW YEAR’S ticket-the prices will go up at midnight. And trust us, you don’t want to miss this one.
- As we all know-Sunday is movie day in the BYT land. Check back Friday to read all of the words you need to know about new releases in our FILM SECTION.
- Feel more like staying in? HOME ENTERTAINMENT column TO THE RESCUE. ALSO, check out our list of BEST MOVIES OF 2013 (trust us, it may surprise you) for some viewing inspiration.
- leaving the house?
- check out this screening of THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL
- Bar Pilar is hosting a HOME ALONE party
- You’re being spied on. Go see Edgar & Annabel at The Studio Theatre, a play about being spied on
- or head to Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse for IT’S A WONDERFUL NIGHT
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. PLUS: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
- Till next time, keep that holiday attitude up (p.s. Best Weekend Bets will be out on TUESDAY next week):