Hey everyone! This week’s events on DC BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress and will use assorted images from The Sound of Music because The Sound of Music Live premieres tonight! The hills are alive…
Before we start-a few PSAs…
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS:
- NEW. YEARS. EVE. PARTY! We’re having a RUMSPRINGA party and you’re invited. Ticket prices go up on December 9 so BUY TICKETS NOW!!!
- You may want to become a VIPER this week. We have an extra series of amazing giveaways beginning next Monday.
- Plus, stay forever in the loop and follow us on Facebook & Twitter & Pinterest too because we have MORE MAJOR EVENT ANNOUNCEMENTS COMING UP!
- HEY IT’S THE HOLIDAYS!!! AND DECEMBER!!!
- Have your BEST DECEMBER EVER courtesy of our ultimate month guide (and make sure you check out our DECEMBER THEATRE + DECEMBER COMEDY + DC HOLIDAY MOVIE+ DC HOLIDAY MARKET & POP UP SHOP GUIDES TOO)
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- THE SOUND OF MUSIC LIVE! premieres TONIGHT! So we made a drinking game for you
- It’s time to BUNDLE UP! Whether you’re in need of COZY SWEATERS or SCARVES & MITTENS or BOOTS & SOCKS, we have you covered
- Ever wonder how it feels to play loud music as an adult? It fucking rules
- We asked food writer Nevin Martell what’s in his fridge
- We spoke with Phantogram before their sold-out Terminal 5 and 9:30 Club shows
- Win tickets to one of the best events of the year: REPEAL DAY BALL
- We said goodbye to Turntable.fm and probably goodbye to The Walkmen
- Looking for the perfect X-Mas card? We’ve got you covered
- Our trusty SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK guide
- Our weekly FOOD NEWS ROUND UP has all the delicious scoop you can handle in DC
- LONG TERM USEFUL:
- Are the PARENTS PLANNING A VISIT? Here’s the only guide you’ll ever need to keep them entertained.
- Our 2013 edition of LEAST DOUCHEY BARS IN DC.
- related: HANGOVER GUIDE-pro tips.
- Our FILM GUIDE: the best new releases, the worst new releases, the DC film events you want to see and more
- Our MUSIC GUIDE: best new albums, music for girls by girls, opening bands worth checking out, HOW TO MAKE IT AS A BAND in DC and more
- Our ART GUIDE: must see museum shows, awesome gallery openings, fairs, pop-ups and cool art events
- Our THEATRE GUIDE: shows to laugh, cry AND think about.
- Our FOOD/DRINK GUIDE: gorgeous photos of delicious food and drinks.
- Our STYLE GUIDE: know what to wear now that it’s cold.
- Our guide to the finest DC TRIVIA NIGHTS
- DC’S MOST AND LEAST EXPENSIVE COCKTAILS. Treat yo’self.
- BRUNCH GUIDE 2013
- And as always-a gentle reminder we now how BYT NYC homepage too and publish a NYC Best Weekend Bets. So….tell yourself/friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
Are you ready for the weekend, now?
We’re bouncing with excitement.
- First things first:
- ALSO: peruse our FREE THINGS TO DO IN DC THIS WEEK as well as our HAPPY HOUR HOTLINE for budget friendly outings this weekend. We’re ALWAYS thinking of you. ALWAYS.
- stop by Gibson for one of our favorite drinks of all time, Let’s Play Musical Bartenders
- If you’re feeling festive, head to The Kennedy Center for a free holiday music show played on hand bells
- Want to be festive but more ‘adult?’ The 2nd Annual DC Krampusnacht celebration is happening throughout H Street
- Are you one of the few lucky souls to have tickets to the sold-out Phantogram show at 9:30 Club?
- Celebrate the end of prohibition at Jack Rose! Or don’t, It may get very crowded, we’re going.
- Heatwave! It’s not just unseasonably warm, it’s the name of a gay dance party at TOWN that we recommend
- Adventure time! Catch a special screening of McConkey @ Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse.
- Kick off the weekend a little early at Tropicalia’s for the Party for Prevention to commemorate World AIDS Day
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff (SERIOUSLY, JUST SO MANY)
- Work downtown? Stay downtown. Spyro Gyra headline The Hamilton Live
- Before you go home, grab a drink after work at on of the bars that made our 2013 Least Douchey Bars in DC list (hi5 to all the 2012 alums and all stars)
- OddFuture members MellowHigh will fill U Hall
- Burlesque returns to the Black Cat with the Down & Dirty Holiday Blues
- The Nutcracker begins its run at the Warner Theatre. It’d be weird to see The Nutcracker in the summer
- Spend some time at another seasonally appropriate activity, the Mount Vernon by Candlelight returns for its annual festivities
- Punk legends NOFX bring the Fat to the Fillmore
- HOME ALONE! E STREET CINEMA! HOW WAS THIS MOVIE SUCH A MASSIVE HIT?
- Grateful Dead fans can be found at the Dark Star Orchestra at 9:30 Club
- For the fan of seemingly everything, the 4th ANNUAL WINTER WONDERLAND is at Echostage
- For the fan of local Americana/Indie, The Riverbreaks, Mission South, The Sea Life are at Black Cat
- Dance at Tropicalia’s Congo y Castra
- Dance at The Dunes at the Sugar and Spice DJ Night featuring an all-female DJ line-up
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- lots of awesome daytime stuff to do:
- Urbana’s cooking class returns with a class on sweet dough, come back later today for a piece on our November visit
- witness some family friendly cultural events while buying holiday trinkets at the Smithsonian Holiday Festival
- head to Rosslyn for the Alicia Eggert exhibit EVERYTHING YOU ARE LOOKING FOR @ Artisphere
- stick around the Artisphere for GRUMP, the annual holiday craft show
- if you’re in a Swedish mood, whatever that is, check out the Swedish Christmas Bazaar
- if you’re in a creepily realistic 3D film screening, The Polar Express is screening at the American History Museum
- the documentary Punk In Africa screens for free at the Smithsonian National Museum of African Art
- want to be a food writer? Smithsonian hosts a seminar on Saturday morning with Monica Bhide, Tim Carman, Todd Gray and others
- then, break to refuel:
- at night:
- Did you win tickets to the Repeal Day Ball? No? You can still buy some.
- Excellent DC band Fire & The Wheel play IOTA
- Brave the crowds of Adams Morgan for the 12 Beers of Christmas at Black Squirrel
- Brave the crowds of Adams Morgan for Happy Buddha VI: A Toys for Tots Benefit Show @ The DC Arts Center
- The DC Lady Arm Wrestlers take over American Legion Post 8 for their “Holiday Smackdown”
- Love The Princess Bride? How about checking out a one-man show about one man’s take on the film?
- for dancing purposes:
- it’s technically dancing, Sixth & I hosts their Winter Informal
- SAO Funky Saturdays returns to Tropicalia
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff:
- BRUNCH TIME!
- How does your table look? Make it look better
- As we all know-Sunday is movie day in the BYT land. Check back Friday to read all of the words you need to know about new releases in our FILM SECTION.
- Feel more like staying in? HOME ENTERTAINMENT column TO THE RESCUE
- leaving the house?
- Finish your holiday shopping at Rock’n’Shop @ Black Cat
- A film about the beauty of capitalism, Miracle on 34th Street, is at the AFI
- AND this sweet screening of “THE WORLD FAIR, picturing tomorrow“, with a score by the Holladay Brothers aka Bluebrain. Basically very little reason to leave Artisphere period. Unless of course…
- It’s the last day to check out If/Then @ The National Theatre and Pride in the Falls of Autrey Mill @ Signature Theatre
- The best show of the weekend is probably tonight in Chevy Chase, JD Samson & MEN, Ex Hex, Coup Sauvage & the Snips are at Comet Ping Pong
- Spend an evening with Will Downing at the Howard
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. PLUS: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
- TILL NEXT TIME, remember, things could be worse…
Finally, what the hell is going on in this gif?