Hey everyone! This week’s events on DC BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress and will use assorted images of James Bond and assorted Bond girls/villains to get you in the mood for the now SOLD OUT
SHARKS & LASERS bonanza we’re hosting at he International Spy Museum this Friday. Hope you’re ready for ALL THE INNUENDOS, ALL THE TIME.
Before we start-a few PSAs…
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS:
- tomorrow!: SOLD OUT! After Hours event @ The Spy Museum: SHARKS & LASERS -A Bond Villain’s Ball for November. Get excited. REAL LIVE BOND VILLAINS WILL BE THERE.
- ALSO COMING UP: the 6th Annual BYT BEAUJOLAIS Extravaganza – PRESALE IS SOLD OUT BUT SOME TICKETS WILL BE AVAILABLE AT THE DOOR, so come early.
- WE ARE DOING OUR FIRST BYT YEARBOOK EVER. And we want you to submit nominations of people/places/things for it. DO IT.
- Plus, stay forever in the loop and follow us on Facebook & Twitter & Pinterest too because we have MORE MAJOR EVENT ANNOUNCEMENTS COMING UP!
- ALSO: behold the the very necessary BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: Paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs. You’ll feel like a skeleton taking a bath. Huh?
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- CRUCIAL-Our all important LEAST DOUCHEY BARS IN DC – 2013 EDITION IS OUT NOW. Drink douche free forever.
- also: Our DC PHO GUIDE + OUR DC RAMEN GUIDE allow you for some perfect big bowl slurping during this cold, cold winter that has somehow semi-descended upon us already.
- We talked to some real, live spies about some real spy secrets (and James Bond too). GREAT READ.
- We hung out with Jose Andres and Carla Hall at the Capital Food Fight (spoiler alert: JOSE knows all the words to ROAR)
- Partook in a BEERATHON
- seriously considered running away to join a Mexican circus
- worked on our deep music crush on Spencer Krug
- and a bunch of other stuff +
- HEY IT IS NOVEMBER!
- Have your BEST NOVEMBER EVER courtesy of our ultimate month guide (and make sure you check out our NOVEMBER THEATRE + NOVEMBER COMEDY GUIDES TOO)
- Our trusty SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK guide
- Our weekly FOOD NEWS ROUND UP has all the delicious scoop you can handle in DC
- LONG TERM USEFUL:
- Our FILM GUIDE: the best new releases, the worst new releases, the DC film events you want to see and more
- Our MUSIC GUIDE: best new albums, music for girls by girls, opening bands worth checking out, HOW TO MAKE IT AS A BAND in DC and more
- Our ART GUIDE: must see museum shows, awesome gallery openings, fairs, pop-ups and cool art events
- Our THEATRE GUIDE: shows to laugh, cry AND think about.
- Our FOOD/DRINK GUIDE: gorgeous photos of delicious food and drinks.
- Our STYLE GUIDE: know what to wear now that it’s cold.
- Our guide to the finest DC TRIVIA NIGHTS
- DC’S MOST AND LEAST EXPENSIVE COCKTAILS. Treat yo’self.
- BURLESQUE GUIDE – where to enjoy tassels and pasties in DC these days
- BRUNCH GUIDE 2013
- And as always-a gentle reminder we now how BYT NYC homepage too and publish a NYC Best Weekend Bets. So….tell yourself/friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
Are you ready for the weekend, now?
That’s the spirit!
- First things first:
- ALSO: peruse our FREE THINGS TO DO IN DC THIS WEEK as well as our HAPPY HOUR HOTLINE for budget friendly outings this weekend. We’re ALWAYS thinking of you. ALWAYS.
- also, the ANCHORMAN exhibit opens at the NEWSEUM. Here is what we HOPE is included.
- feel like grabbing a drink right after work and feeling GOOD about it? Stop by Smith Commons for their Cocktails AND Charity.
- Elton John is at Verizon
- and All things Gold is back @ U Hall with Alex Winston AND GEMS live, which should account for some solid magic.
- theatre fans-go see The Night Watcher @ Studio. BONUS: Under 30? Enter promotion code STUDIO25 for $25 tickets
- and for the funnies-Nick Swardson kicks off an all-weekend stand-up stop by at Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff (SERIOUSLY, JUST SO MANY)
- So, SHARKS AND LASERS is now SOLD OUT at The International Spy Museum. Obviously. But also:
- before you go, grab a drink after work at on of the bars that made our 2013 Least Douchey Bars in DC list (hi5 to all the 2012 alums and all stars)
- then, put on your bulletproof suit, twirl your villain mustache (or, you know, just get dressed), listen to I SPY by Pulp as you pregame and head over to the Spy Museum. That mechanical shark is not going to ride itself/nor are those gold laced martinis going to drink themselves after all.
- both The Late Skate (which is exactly what it sounds like-a late night rollerskating party)
- and the latest reiteration of Smithsonian @ 8 sound fun
- not in the mood to party?
- The Free Steven Spielberg Movie Festival starts today @ National Archives (and goes on ALL WEEKEND)
- Anoushka Shankar is @ Lisner
- Gigi Holliday presents Chocolate Lounge @ Black Cat
- for the laughter-the DRINK TILL WE’RE FUNNY tour stops by DCAC
- and support the arts by attending the 10th annual Transformer Auction @ The Corcoran
- plus, you guys – a midnight screening of BATMAN (the one with Jack Nicholson)
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- lots of awesome daytime stuff to do:
- go on a plaid bike ride and partake in some lumberjack games, because that IS happening.
- use our DC PHO GUIDE + OUR DC RAMEN GUIDE as your lunch bibles for some perfect big bowl slurping during this cold, cold weather we’ve bee afflicted with this week.
- Go ice-skating inside the Corcoran.
- check out that Anchorman exhibit at the Newseum
- take a holiday cocktail class with Gina Chersevani, and impress EVERYONE this upcoming party season.
- get yourself on a 1k WINE AND BEER Walk which sounds way more fun than a 1k walk NOT involving wine or beer.
- Dacha Beer Garden is hosting a HOT SAUCE LAUNCH for City Blossom Flying Fish Pepper.
- and actually A LOT MORE OTHER STUFF IS GOING ON DURING THE DAY-so check the agenda out.
- then, break to refuel:
- at night:
- in lieu of just going to dinner, check out the Saturday Supper @ Art and Soul which ALSO features a Thanksgiving clinic and hot tips for the holidays from chef Wes Morton.
- Cherie Currie (!!!) is at State Theatre cherry bombing her way through a Saturday.
- Charli XCX is at U Hall.
- pretend you’re on a tropical vacation and not in frozen DC with Jorge Ben Jor @ Howard (the afterparty is predictably and perfectly at Tropicalia)
- wear your best gothic romance dress/face/attitude and go check out Matthew Bourne’s amazing SLEEPING BEAUTY at Kennedy Center (the last day to see it is on Sunday, so seriously don’t mess this up for us and yourself, go)
- The Free Steven Spielberg Movie Festival STILL going on @ National Archives
- for dancing purposes:
- Peach Pit is @ DC9
- DOC Martin is @ Flash
- and Marc Houle and Outputmessage are at U Hall
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff:
- BRUNCH TIME!
- ALSO-take a minute and nominate someone awesome for FIRST BYT YEARBOOK EVER inclusion. It will feel good.
- As we all know-Sunday is movie day in the BYT land. Check back Friday to read all of the words you need to know about new releases in our FILM SECTION.
- Feel more like staying in? HOME ENTERTAINMENT column TO THE RESCUE (and if all these Famke Jansen gifs are making you feel crazy in a good way may we recommend revisiting NIP/TUCK and/or HEMLOCK GROVE-in all its insane, messy glory while on your couch today)
- leaving the house?
- Milk Cult is doing a pop-up opening and giving away ice cream, coffee and breakfast tacos. Basically-heaven.
- Pasolini movie series is continuing with the Decameron @ National Gallery of Art (FREE!)
- GWAR crushes their way through 930 CLUB (stop by Eat the Rich for a drink/meal before the show and admire some of Oderus’ artwork on the walls to make it a well rounded GWAR evening)
- DEV (With BYT Local favorites Beyond Modern) are @ RNR Hotel
- and if we were to head to Baltimore for anything it would be this super fun/weird/nerdy sounding Barbarellesque at The Wind-Up Space.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. PLUS: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
- TILL NEXT TIME, know your references: