Hey everyone! This week’s events on DC BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress and will use assorted images of the best cook of all time and his lil’ buddy throughout it because this weekend is bad. Good bad. Breaking bad.
Before we start-a few PSAs…
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS and GOODIES:
- Tig Notaro. Nick Kroll. Megan Mullally. Moshe Kasher. Garfunkel & Oates. T.J. Miller 30+ other funny people. IT MEANS ONLY ONE THING: THE BENTZEN BALL IS COMING BACK!!! We’ve announced NINE shows. NINE! 9!
- We also JUST announced an awesome afterparty for it for OCTOBER 12TH @ HOWARD THEATRE. With: Animal Collective DJs! Bob Boilen of ALL SONGS CONSIDERED! OTHER THINGS! Get those tickets now or forever (and ever regret it)
- BYT FALL/WINTER GUIDES ARE COMING – send us tips/advertise/get-excited to read them etc.
- ALSO, stay forever in the loop and follow us on Facebook & Twitter & Pinterest too because we have MORE MAJOR EVENT (HALLOWEEN! OTHER THINGS!) ANNOUNCEMENTS COMING UP! GO GET YOUR BROWS WAXED!
- ALSO: behold the the very necessary BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: Paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs. You’ll feel like a super cool drug kingpin with a new hat.
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- IAN MACKAYE, the man, the myth, the legend, the BYT interview subject
- We preview this weekends ART ALL NIGHT!
- ALL the necessary HOT JAMS for you to enjoy this week
- Our Virgin FreeFest coverage was pretty epic. Re-live the wetness
- Miss MGMT at FreeFest? We want you to see them at DAR and we want to give you those tickets before they go on sale!
- Our trusty SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK guide
- Our weekly FOOD NEWS ROUND UP has all the delicious scoop you can handle in DC
- LONG TERM USEFUL:
- IT IS FALL-GET YOUR COFFEE RULES STRAIGHT!
- BYT’S FALL TV PREVIEW. Watch them while they last
- ALL THE RESTAURANTS NEW TO 2013
- Our 2013 ICE CREAM GUIDE. FIGHT THE FALL!
- Our guide to the finest DC TRIVIA NIGHTS
- DC’S MOST AND LEAST EXPENSIVE COCKTAILS. Treat yo’self.
- BURLESQUE GUIDE – where to enjoy tassels and pasties in DC these days
- BRUNCH GUIDE 2013
- BYT’S ANNUAL DC OUTDOOR DRINKING GUIDE IS HERE. USE IT AND ABUSE IT.
- And as always-a gentle reminder we now how BYT NYC homepage too and publish a NYC Best Weekend Bets. So….tell yourself/friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
Your name is Walter White but sometimes you go by another name and you are scary and sad and dying and we all love you soooooo much why do you have to go away!
You won the short game, Walt! You’re going to lose the long game! Oh, Walt!
- First things first: peruse our FREE THINGS TO DO IN DC THIS WEEK and HAPPY HOUR HOTLINE list for budget friendly outings this weekend. We’re ALWAYS thinking of you. ALWAYS.
- DC SHORTS continues! See hundreds, literally HUNDREDS, of shorts in DC, Maryland and Virginia
- Spend your lunch break checking out a free film at Capital Fringe
- non movie related fun:
- We will be at Chez Billy for the release of THE INTENTIONAL Issue 2
- MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET is at the Kennedy Center for a much-too-brief 2-week run
- Tonight is the last TIKI THURSDAY at Jack Rose and they’re celebrating with a pig roast, drink specials and more
- Start the weekend early with a show from Julie Holter at the Rock and Roll Hotel
- Spend the evening leaning about some formerly secret stuff, for free, at the SPY MUSEUM
- FASHION WEEK HITS DC
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff (SERIOUSLY, JUST SO MANY)
- One of our favorite parties of the year, the FALL FETE returns to the Corcoran! This year’s theme is American In Paris and it’s black tie optional. Wear a black tie
- Head to the Kennedy Center after work for a Listen Local First free show with South Rail
- No Kings Collective launches the Media Rise Festival with a free kick-off party
- Reggae legend JIMMY CLIFF headlines the Howard
- Didn’t get tickets to last night’s sold-out WALK THE MOON show at 9:30? There are still some tickets available for tonight’s gig
- WINE RIOT begins tonigh at Sphinx Club! Red, red wine, you make me feel so fine
- Send in the Clowns a fucking great comedy show hosted by Andrew Bucket and Jenn Tisdale at The Dunes!!! Dranks.
- The White Mandingos, featuring MURS, Darryl Jennifer of Bad Brains, and Sacha Jenkins perform at U St Music Hall
- Close the night down the street at TROPICALIA with Congo Y Castro
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- FIRST SATURDAY OF AUTUMN! LEAVES! ARE! FALLING!
- Rock the Bells has sadly been CANCELED.
The biggest event of the weekend is the ROCK THE BELLS Festival. For 2 days at RFK, both people and holograms will entertain the masses. Read our excellent preview here.
- The Washington City Paper does a mighty fine job with the CRAFTY BASTARDS ARTS & CRAFTS FAIR! 2-days of opportunities to meet cool/cute people and buy cool/cute things. We recommend you go Saturday instead of Sunday so you check out the…
- Brats & Brews @ 1905: taste some local sausage paired with local brews this Saturday from 1-5 pm, which should pass for happy hour on a Saturday, am I right?
- free show @ UNION KITCHEN LOT!
- The FFFFEStival with a performance from Miss Shevaughn & Yuma Wray for free in Falls Church doesn’t sound too shabby
- Spend daylight hours outside enjoying the SW Arts Festival
- The HARD ROCK CAFE continues the Under: 40 Music Marathon to benefit breast cancer awareness throughout the day
- Spend your hard earned $$$ on fabulous finds at DISTRICT FLEA!
- There’s still time to check out SILVER BALLOONS @ Artisphere
- The third annual DC Palestinian Film and Arts Festival opens at the Goethe Institute
- and that’s just during daytime. Let’s take a mini gif dance #excitement break before dealing with the evening:
- ok, onto evening hours:
- ART ALL NIGHT makes its triumphant return to SHAW!
- KT Tunstall headlines the better-looking Lincoln Theater
- BLACK GIRLS headlines TROPICALIA
- End the night dancing with all your soul at TNT! at Haydees
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff. Try to convince someone you’re an Academy Award winner:
- BRUNCH TIME!
- As we all know-Sunday is movie day in the BYT land. Check back Friday to read all of the words you need to know about new releases in our FILM SECTION.
- Feel more like staying in? HOME ENTERTAINMENT column TO THE RESCUE.
- leaving home?
- We really enjoyed the very adult MEASURE FOR MEASURE at the Shakespeare Theatre Company
- We also very much enjoyed the adult in a totally different way THE VELOCITY OF AUTUMN at the Arena Stage
- A show that should be sold-out is not sold-out, SUPERCHUNK headlines 9:30
- A show that will be awesome is in Chevy Chase, QUINTRON & MISS PUSSYCAT at Comet Ping Pong
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff like some show that features bald men playing with children
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. LIKE THE EQUIVALENT OF $80 MILLION DOLLARS IN METH MONEY. PLUS: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
- TILL NEXT TIME, remember, do not threaten to kill anyone’s infant daughter because you will get your face blown off.