Hey everyone! This week’s edition of DC BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress and a healthy dose of reliving our high school years. Well, not our high school years. The high school years no one really had but… but weren’t they fun?
Before we start-a few PSAs…
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS and GOODIES:
- IN DC
- We’re happy to be media partners with the upcoming Trillectro Festival. Tickets are on sale now, the lineup will be announced Friday and there’s an EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT!
- Next Friday is the Neon Tuxedo Disco at the Howard Theatre and WE WANT YOU TO GO FOR FREE!
- IN NYC
- THIS SATURDAY – JULY 20th relax with us on the South Street Seaport for Dream Lover. The talented DC artist Morgan H. West from Panda Hear Magazine will showcase lounge-ready installations by the lovely and mega-talented Morgan H. West of Panda Head Magazine, Erika Spring from Au Revoir Simone will DJ and all of this is FREE. NO $$$. ALSO: MARIAH CAREY.
- ALSO: behold the the very necessary BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: Paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of. SO-SIGN UP.
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- Our 2013 ICE CREAM GUIDE. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Is the ROYAL BABY a 100% Human BABY? It’s probably a human baby. BUT WHAT WILL IT BE NAMED?
- You guys, WE SAW A BEATLE!
- You guys, WE SAW BELLE & SEBASTIAN!
- The new ADRIAN PARSONS exhibit at Transformer makes us want to draw
- Las Vegas: DISNEYWORLD For Adults!
- In a theatre mood? How about BOOK OF MORMON or the ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW
- These photos of French Maids in various states of undress makes us miss Bastille Day
- U.S. Royalty IS BACK-and we’re excited to hear the new album. Wire is back too. It’s awesome.
- We TASTE TESTED the MAKETTO pop-up at Hanoi House and TACO BAMBA in Falls Church
- and an announcement video from Insane Clown Posse about The Gathering. WHOOP WHOOP! We’re scared.
- SOME AWESOME Win-before-you-can-buy giveaways: CLAP YOUR HANDS SAY YEAH + the SMITHSONIAN AT 8: AFTER HOURS PARTY
- and, of course:
- our trusty SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK guide + spotify playlist
- our weekly FOOD NEWS ROUND UP has all the delicious scoop you can handle in DC
- LONG TERM USEFUL:
- the best FROZEN/REFRESHING DRINKS IN DC
- our guide to the finest DC TRIVIA NIGHTS
- DC’S MOST AND LEAST EXPENSIVE COCKTAILS. Treat yo’self.
- FREE OUTDOOR CONCERT GUIDE for this season is out
- BURLESQUE GUIDE – where to enjoy tassels and pasties in DC these days
- DC OUTDOOR MOVIE GUIDE for 2013
- BRUNCH GUIDE 2013
- BYT’S ANNUAL DC OUTDOOR DRINKING GUIDE IS HERE. USE IT AND ABUSE IT.
- Also-our handy adventuring-in-DC springtime recommendation list too
- GUIDES! out our exhaustive, extensive, hilarious-yet-informative FOOD, FINE ART, FILM, MUSIC, STYLE and THEATRE editions for SPRING/SUMMER 2013. Information you can use for 25 weeks.
- And as always-a gentle reminder we now how BYT NYC homepage too and publish a NYC Best Weekend Bets. So….tell yourself/ friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
- And you can stay forever in the loop and follow us on facebook & twitter & pinterest too
OK-ready for the weekend now?
It’s OK to cry tears of joy.
- Start the weekend early with a drink or two or three at Marvin for the 2013 SUMMER SEASON BEER DINNER
- Also, the Woody Allen film series at the DCJCC continues. Tonight includes CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS, TRIVIA!!! and MANHATTAN
- plus: Thirst unlocks all of life’s, or the Smithsonian’s, secrets at U St Music Hall
- NOW FOR SOUND…
- Bearshark headlines Fort Reno
- If that free show doesn’t interest you, consider the NSO Summer Music Institute show on the Millennium Stage
- JUCIFER plays the Black Cat. They are loud. There are two of them. They rule.
- The very good, very local THEE LOLITAS play Comet Ping Pong
- TITTSWORTH helps people “dance” and “sweat” and “make love” at U St Music Hall
- Maybe you’d rather watch an adult male play an adult male from back in time or something in THOR at Capitol Riverfront Outdoor Movies
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff (SERIOUSLY, JUST SO MANY)
- leave work early and head to a Happy Hour because it’s Friday and you’re ALIVE, but before you do, educate yourself with our HAPPY HOUR HOTLINE column
- then: check out some free movies, because god knows there’s plenty of those including DC’S FIRST EVER DRIVE IN MOVIE EXPERIENCE (tonight features Eddie Murphy in DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMEN @ Union Market (our FREE AND ALMOST FREE THINGS TO DO THIS WEEK column at your service)
- Our favorite film about a girl taking off her glasses, SHE’S ALL THAT, screens at the Rosslyn Outdoor Film Festival
- The best not actual guitarists in the country perform in the US AIR GUITAR SEMIFINALS at 9:30 Club
- and for dancing/sexy/magic/music purposes head to:
- RAISE DC ONE-YEAR ANNIVERSARY SHOW with Brett + Chris Burns + Sami Y at Malmaison
- Black Cat for THE LOVE SHOW
- FRIDAY NIGHT FUNK at Cause
- or DEEP HOUSE MUSIC at Tropicalia
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- During daytime-stop by Paper Sun for a ROCK AND ROLL FLEA MARKET. Flea Markets are whatever, but this one has chicken and waffles so it sounds pretty cool
- The DC ZINEFEST takes over St. Stephens to renew our faith in the printed word
- Then check out a FRINGE SHOW. We recommend THE ENCYCLOPEDIA SHOW at noon. That’s a respectable time to see a show.
- then head to 9:30
- Kurt Vile & The Violators headline 9:30 Club. Go to the show everyone wishes they could go to. also-if you became a VIPER you could be invited to a super special pre-show happy hour where you meet KURT and more.
- DANCE at the Living Social space to the sounds of French Horn Rebellion, Kisses and San Fermin
- on top of that:
- DROP ELECTRIC and JANEL + ANTHONY play Black Cat
- fun. headlines Merriweather Post Pavilion for all your fun needs
- Sligo Creek Stompers and Bumper Jacksons fill Sixth and I with some down home sounds
- there’s also movie night outside with WRECK IT RALPH in Alexandria
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- If for some ungodly reason you’re still able to get past the front door, there’s still good stuff to do…
- Celebrate one of our favorite authors/drunks birthday at BAR PILLAR! They’re honoring Hemingway with 1/2 priced Hemingway Cocktails
- maybe watch THE DEVIL’S DOUBLE on your couch (and there’s some other HOME ENTERTAINMENT solutions to be had right here)
- or have some ADULT RECESS time at Penn Social because adults only get recess on the weekend
- WE ARE HEX headline Comet Ping Pong
- BLACK MASALA open for M.H. & His Orchestra at Tropicalia
- and THE MONKEES (we miss Davy!) are at the WARNER THEATRE
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff (including JUST SO MANY FRINGE SHOWS AND SO LITTLE TIME)
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. PLUS: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
- TILL NEXT TIME, take your glasses off every once in a while: