Hey everyone! This week’s edition of DC BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun and minimum stress, and will be sprinkled with stylish-as-all-hell images of Jean-Paul Belmondo breaking lady hearts because he is French and it is Bastille Day weekend and we are having our Phillips Collection/Malmaison French Themed Party tonight and … we’ll I couldn’t think of anything I’d rather put up (since we did Marie Antoinette last year)
Before we start-a few PSAs…
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS and GOODIES:
- IN DC:
- THIS THURSDAY – JULY 11th get weird with us at the BYT + PHILLIPS COLLECTION After Hours + After Party, inspired by their Braque show and featuring Caroline Polachek (CHAIRLIFT) and some truly stunning local talent. Tickets are limited-grab them NOW.
- and we just media sponsor partnered with TRILLECTRO for August, so get all kinds of excited for that.
- ALSO: behold the the very necessary BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: Paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.SO-SIGN UP.
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- The Washington Monument is ALL illuminated. BUT WHAT IS IT ALL ABOUT? (aka BYT launches a conspiracy theory column)
- INSANE photos from our 4th of July Pool Party are HERE
- our stroll down BEST RAP ALBUMS OF 2013 (thus far)
- A Handy Break-Up Cheat Sheet
- FORT RENO IS BACK-and we should all be super excited for it (click here for the full schedule)
- Photos of Naked Girls reading – EXACTLY what it sounds like
- and some great photos from the KASTLES KICK OFF featuring Michelle Obama, cheerleaders, Martina Hingis and tennis ball mascots
- SOME AWESOME Win-before-you-can-buy giveaways: BILL CALLAHAN + THE WEEKND + LAURA MARLING
- and, of course:
- our trusty SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK guide + spotify playlist
- our weekly FOOD NEWS ROUND UP has all the delicious scoop you can handle in DC
- LONG TERM USEFUL:
- the best FROZEN/REFRESHING DRINKS IN DC
- our guide to the finest DC TRIVIA NIGHTS
- DC’S MOST AND LEAST EXPENSIVE COCKTAILS. Treat yo’self.
- FREE OUTDOOR CONCERT GUIDE for this season is out
- BURLESQUE GUIDE – where to enjoy tassels and pasties in DC these days
- DC OUTDOOR MOVIE GUIDE for 2013
- BRUNCH GUIDE 2013
- BYT’S ANNUAL DC OUTDOOR DRINKING GUIDE IS HERE. USE IT AND ABUSE IT.
- Also-our handy adventuring-in-DC springtime recommendation list too
- GUIDES! out our exhaustive, extensive, hilarious-yet-informative FOOD, FINE ART, FILM, MUSIC, STYLE and THEATRE editions for SPRING/SUMMER 2013. Information you can use for 25 weeks.
- And as always-a gentle reminder we now how BYT NYC homepage too and publish a NYC Best Weekend Bets. So….tell yourself/ friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
- And you can stay forever in the loop and follow us on facebook & twitter & pinterest too
OK-ready for the weekend now?
We’ll take as a yes.
- HAPPY BASTILLE DAY WEEKEND! Check out our full BASTILLE DAY guide right here which you can use over the weekend but kick things off by stopping by our Phillips Collection UnStill Life party + Malmaison Afterparty (featuring our super girlcrush Caroline Polachek). DO IT. There will be drinks and weird photo booths and live bands and dessert bars and a gorgeous Georges Braque show and good looking people and…. and …. and… hopefully you too.
- ALSO: Capital Fringe is kicking off tonight. CHECK OUT OUR PREVIEW HERE (+ a handy food and drink preview too, with a music and free Fringe stuff preview heading your way a little later today). Get weird now through July 28th.
- Also, Honey Boo Boo is in town. Promoting a book. This is a very real thing, and frankly, we’re pretty excited for it.
- plus: Adrian Parsons has an opening @ Transformer. It should be weird in a great way.
- Carla Hall is at the Anacostia Arts Center
- She and Him are @ Wolf Trap
- the very lovely Julia Holter is @ Sixth and I (read this old interview we did with her too)
- Pearl and the Beard make some magic happen @ Jammin Java
- and Heurich House is hosting Cigarette.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff (SERIOUSLY, JUST SO MANY)
- HAPPY BELLE AND SEBASTIAN DAY DC! Our favorite twee dork nuggets are playing Merriweather tonight (with Yo La Tengo, no less) and we are so excited here is 4100+ words on our favorite Belle and Sebastian songs.
- On top of that (and obviously PAUL -freakin-McCARTNEY being in town) it is a pretty solid Friday all around:
- take yourself to a Happy Hour you deserve- step up your cheap drinking game with our HAPPY HOUR HOTLINE column
- then: check out some free movies, because god knows there’s plenty of those including DC’S FIRST EVER DRIVE IN MOVIE EXPERIENCE @ Union Market (our FREE AND ALMOST FREE THINGS TO DO THIS WEEK column at your service)
- or go on a DC BIKE PARTY anniversary ride
- after that:
- AND I AM NOT LYING evening of storytelling and Game-of-Thrones themed burlesque lands @ Black Cat
- DC Hip Hop Theatre Festival continues
- and for dancing purposes head either to:
- Howard for LiveMaus – a tribute to DeadMau5
- Little Miss Whiskey’s for Haruka Salt
- or RED FRIDAYS @ U Hall
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- During daytime-stop by the French Festival @ Hillwood or the French Maid Race/Block Party @ L’enfant (details for both can be found in our Bastille Day guide)
- grab a dinner at CASA LUCA, Rammy winning DC Chef of the Year’s Fabio Trabocchi’s new restaurant (click here for gorgeous first look photos and story)
- then head to H street:
- Connersmith hosts their annual ACADEMY emerging artists showcase (ALWAYS fabulous), followed by an afterparty to kick off (e)merge art fair 2013.
- US Royalty plays a bound-to-be-awesome show at the very awesome INDUSTRY GALLERY next door (click here for a chance to win tickets to it)
- on top of that:
- even though Savages are sold out, there is lots of other things to do:
- Woolly Mammoth celebrates their anniversary with a big, splashy, fun party
- Nerd Nite is back @ DC9 (followed by a strong local band showing of BRETT and PLOY)
- the very buzzy Skylar Gray is @ U Hall
- there is a Woody Allen double feature just waiting for you at the DCJCC
- OMD are @ 930 Club (click here for a chance to win tickets to it)
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- frankly, if you’re not exhausted by now, I applaud you.
- Chill out in the AM by checking out a bunch of BEST-DC-SUMMER-EVER life/internet hacks we have compiled for you right here
- maybe watch SPRING BREAKERS on your couch (and there’s some other HOME ENTERTAINMENT solutions to be had right here)
- or, obviously, go hug Cale at that Merriweather PHISH show
- pop royalty WIRE are @ Black Cat too
- and it is a double whammy for yacht rock fans: the Yacht Rock Revue lands @ The Hamilton AND Michael MacDonald is at Wolf Trap
- and lest we forget, Lynyrd Skynyrd are @ Jiffy Lube. AMERICA STRIKES BACK! ON BASTILLE DAY!
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff (including JUST SO MANY FRINGE MATINEES AND SO LITTLE TIME)
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. PLUS: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
- TILL NEXT TIME, keep the energy levels up: