Hey everyone! This week’s edition of DC BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun and minimum stress, and will be sprinkled with images from VIRGIN SUICIDES, because Sofia Coppola has The Bling Ring out this week and I am FINALLY getting around to reading Eugenides’ The Marriage Plot, and I can’t stop thinking about either and since no one (still) outranks me on this block, Sofia + Jeffrey = Virgin Suicides gifs for everyone. We’ll try and make it sort of upbeat to boot (despite the theme).
Before we start-a few PSAs…
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS and GOODIES:
- IN DC-SO MUCH COMING UP:
- We JUST announced this awesome BYT + PHILLIPS COLLECTION After Hours + After Party, inspired by their Braque show and featuring Caroline Polachek (CHAIRLIFT) and some truly stunning local talent. Tickets are limited-grab them NOW.
- + OUR 4th Annual 4th of July POOL PARTY SPECTACULAR @ The Capitol Skyline. SEE YOU THERE.
- also, next Tuesday-we’re hosting ANOTHER Summer Punched happy hour. This time @ Brixton.
- ALSO: behold the the very necessary BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: Paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.SO-SIGN UP.
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- Check out all the gorgeous photos from the BYT + NAT GEO Party last week
- this COURTNEY LOVE interview which is pretty much as mind blowing as you think it would be
- the ONLY Yeezus review you need to read anywhere ever
- super Bonnaroo + super Bonnaroo people-watching coverage
- these special Baltimore Pride Photos
- Jazz Age Lawn party portraits
- we have some truly stunning live show coverages this week: POSTAL SERVICE, GRIZZLY BEAR/theXX and more
- and, of course:
- our trusty SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK guide
- our weekly FOOD NEWS ROUND UP has all the delicious scoop you can handle in DC
- AND of course-to stay UP on all the shows you need to see this week-check out our SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK listicle + playlist, DONE AND DONE.
- LONG TERM USEFUL:
- DC’S MOST AND LEAST EXPENSIVE COCKTAILS. Treat yo’self.
- FREE OUTDOOR CONCERT GUIDE for this season is out
- BURLESQUE GUIDE – where to enjoy tassels and pasties in DC these days
- DC OUTDOOR MOVIE GUIDE for 2013 (now with a few addendums to boot: Screen on the green schedule, anyone?)
- BRUNCH GUIDE 2013
- BYT’S ANNUAL DC OUTDOOR DRINKING GUIDE IS HERE. USE IT AND ABUSE IT.
- Also-our handy adventuring-in-DC springtime recommendation list too
- GUIDES! out our exhaustive, extensive, hilarious-yet-informative FOOD, FINE ART, FILM, MUSIC, STYLE and THEATRE editions for SPRING/SUMMER 2013. Information you can use for 25 weeks.
- And as always-a gentle reminder we now how BYT NYC homepage too and publish a NYC Best Weekend Bets. So….tell yourself/ friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
- And you can stay forever in the loop and follow us on facebook & twitter & pinterest too
OK-ready for the weekend now?
We’ll take as a yes.
- first things FIRST: Welcome to AFI Docs Week – we have a full preview for you here + giveaways and more every day. Embrace it.
- second of all: our FREE and ALMOST FREE THINGS TO DO IN DC THIS WEEK column is a big one-make sure you peruse it.
- and there is a shitton of great shows going on sale this week (DRAKE + MIGUEL, FRANZ FERDINAND, VOLCANO CHOIR, BLONDIE, DIRTY BEACHES etc) – so use this listicle as a cheat sheet and never be left behind when anything sells out.
- then, onto tonight proper:
- relive the 90s/unleash your inner Jenny McCarthy/Simon Rex and check out SINGLED OUT @ Penn Social
- then, freshly paired up, head out to one of the many good shows tonight:
- Cold Cave is @ RNR Hotel
- Billy Idol AND Cat Power are @ Wolf Trap
- The 1975 are at U Hall (followed by a late night Simian Mobile Disco DJ set)
- Beach Day (who we interviewed yesterday) are @ IOTA
- celebrate World Refugee Day @ ESL
- and Washington Post’s food team descends onto Hill Center for a night seemingly custom-made for DC food fans
- and Bier Baron is the spot to head to in search of Burlesque
- and if you’re in the mood for something a little different-let us point you in the direction of this Cirque D’Insects party or this BEST OF CRAIG’S LIST Writer’s center event
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- apparently you can start happy houring as early as 11:30am today – get the scoop on that + Thrillist’s Best Day of Your life and more in our all important HAPPY HOUR HOTLINE column this week
- now we know CHVURCHES are sold out and it is a bummer but there is LOTS OF OTHER THINGS TO DO, we promise:
- big weekend for tribute bands (You’ll see what I mean as we go along):
- tonight-Start Making Sense –the world’s #1 Talking Heads tribute band is @ The Hamilton
- KC & Jo Jo-the tribute band to your freshman year of high-school make-out sessions are @ Howard Theatre
- a ton of free movies for you to enjoy
- general adorableness is bound to be the theme of this Sweater Set CD release party
- celebrate 14 years of GLOW @ Echostage
- and speaking of glowing, Bicycle space is hosting their FIREFLY RIDE tonight
- and the beeline for everyone with a major Seth Myers crush starts right here, since he is performing @ Warner tonight
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- Get your jokes on at The Dunes with SIBLING RIVALRY a comedy show featuring some of DC’s finest comics. Hosted by only-child Jenn Tisdale and Brady Bunch member Andrew Bucket. Might feature a comedy cage match. $5 suggested donation.
- Lumen8 Anacostia kicks off today –check out our full preview of lights/art/music/magic and prep yourself for a month of good times to come. BUT first off-make sure you stop by their KICK OFF PARTY today
- during the day: head to the Kastles Stadium for a 50+ canned beer + music party that is the CAN JAM (bonus: get $10 off when you use the code: BYT on the check-out for presale tickets)
- HAPPY GO SKATE DAY! Smithsonian is hosting INNOSKATE festival to celebrate and everyone from Tony Hawk to the kid you wish you were in middle school will be there (details in our FREE AND ALMOST FREE things to do post)
- then-for some game-of-thrones-inspired camp pageantry-stop by the Sixth Annual Summer Games (of Thrones)
- at night: COURTNEY LOVE IS AT FILLMORE. YES. As we mentioned earlier – we also have this COURTNEY LOVE interview which is pretty much as mind blowing as you think it would be and mandatory reading
- and in on-going tribute fun news this week – WHO’S BAD-the Michael Jackson tribute experience lands at 9:30 club
- the freshly officially opened Malmaison (click here for photos/first look) is hosting FETE DE LA MUSIQUE in association with Alliance Francaise.
- Lemuria are @ Black Cat
- dance party wise: PEACH Pit hosts a special guest DJ this week BRIGHT LIGHT BRIGHT @ DC9, #CRANKParty returns to LIV and Blisspop is right at home at U Hall and Smith Commons hosts MORE THAN FRIENDS r’n’b party so it is nice to know you have options
- theatre fans, remember: this is your last weekend chance to see The Guardsman OR Becky Shaw
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- make the day for the teenager in your life and try and win these ONE DIRECTION tickets for them
- see some movies: Bling Ring, World War Z and more all open this weekend -full reviews, as always, can be found in our FILM SECTION come Friday AM. Or-if you’re staying home-dive into our HOME ENTERTAINMENT column.
- feel like leaving home after all… go for:
- Vandaveer is playing a free show @ Luce Unplugged
- WALE @ Howard Theatre
- Fitz & The Tantrums bring all the party to Rams Head Live
- check out STUPID FUCKING BIRD @ Woolly
- and, you guys, THE RAMMYS are tonight. Totally worth it because, lets face it, NO ONE parties the way the food world parties on a Sunday.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. PLUS: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
- TILL NEXT TIME, remember: