Hey everyone! This week’s edition of DC BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun and minimum stress, and will be dedicated to wishing Johnny Depp a happy 50th birthday in a combination of super swoonworthy gifs AND (slightly less swoonworthy) Captain Jack Sparrow gifs on account of our NAT GEO 125TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY THIS FRIDAY, which WILL involve Pirates. EVERYONE WINS!
Before we start-a few PSAs…
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS and GOODIES:
- IN DC-SO MUCH COMING UP:
- THIS Friday, June 14th – BYT and NAT GEO come together for a special museum after hours celebration of National Geographic’s 125TH YEAR ANNIVERSARY. We have the Knocks, we have Jack Sparrow impersonators, we have PUNCHES FROM AROUND THE WORLD. Details and bound-to-sell-super-fast tickets HERE.
- AND-we just announced our 4th Annual 4th of July POOL PARTY SPECTACULAR @ The Capitol Skyline. SEE YOU THERE.
- also a big, awesome BYT + Phillips Collection party AND afterparty for July 11th announcement coming soon. SO MUCH TO LOOK FORWARD TO.
- ALSO: behold the the very necessary BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: Paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.SO-SIGN UP.
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- A Gorgeous Summer Accessories original poolside photo shoot – get all kinds of inspired
- BYT’s TRAVEL STYLE GUIDE – with vacation season kicking in, never not be stylish while jetting off places again.
- ALL THE PRIDE PHOTOS you can handle: from the SPANDEX Party, from the PARADE, from the FESTIVAL, from TOWN….
- Whatever happened to Macauley Culkin
- a brief internet history of The FacePalm
- we interview Carla Hall, Top Chef and local hero
- a great, big, fat GOVERNOR’S BALL recap
- lots of GREAT photo sets: SUPERNOVA, DECON/RECON, KIKI Fashion Show, Metric and more
- A pretty outstanding assortment of giveaways: RUSSELL BRAND + JOHN OLIVER + JUNIP + THE GUARDSMAN @ KENNEDY CENTER + OUR NAT GEO PARTY + coming later today: questlove
- and, of course:
- our weekly FOOD NEWS ROUND UP has all the delicious scoop you can handle in DC
- AND of course-to stay UP on all the shows you need to see this week-check out our SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK listicle + playlist, DONE AND DONE.
- LONG TERM USEFUL:
- DC’S MOST AND LEAST EXPENSIVE COCKTAILS. Treat yo’self.
- FREE OUTDOOR CONCERT GUIDE for this season is out
- BURLESQUE GUIDE – where to enjoy tassels and pasties in DC these days
- DC OUTDOOR MOVIE GUIDE for 2013 (now with a few addendums to boot: Screen on the green schedule, anyone?)
- BRUNCH GUIDE 2013
- BYT’S ANNUAL DC OUTDOOR DRINKING GUIDE IS HERE. USE IT AND ABUSE IT.
- Also-our handy adventuring-in-DC springtime recommendation list too
- GUIDES! out our exhaustive, extensive, hilarious-yet-informative FOOD, FINE ART, FILM, MUSIC, STYLE and THEATRE editions for SPRING/SUMMER 2013. Information you can use for 25 weeks.
- And as always-a gentle reminder we now how BYT NYC homepage too and publish a NYC Best Weekend Bets. So….tell yourself/ friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
- And you can stay forever in the loop and follow us on facebook & twitter & pinterest too
OK-ready for the weekend now?
We’ll take that smile as a yes.
- quick PSA: The Source Festival is still in full swing
- ALSO: Free? Check. Awesome? Double check. From June 12-16, you have several chances to experience Say Hello, Again, to D.C., from inside a new Lincoln MKZ and, along the way, experience the very best of the D.C. start-up world with activities courtesy of Pleasant Pops, Herban Lifestyle, and more. Walk away with a gift! It’s FREE what are you waiting for. RSVP today!
- THEN: get your weekly dose of culture today by stopping by Artisphere for the opening of PHOTO/VIDEO 13
- also happening tonight:
- YACHT ROCK REVUE allows you to slide into the weekend just so, and it is happening tonight @ Lincoln Theatre
- Saul Williams is @ Black Cat
- get your party on with either of these 2 options:
- RAC and VICEROY, presented by ALL THINGS GO @ U Hall
- or Maseo from DE LA SOUL’s DJ Set @ Tropicalia
- AND David Byrne and St. Vincent are OBVIOUSLY worth your trip to Baltimore/Meyerhoff
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- OBVIOUSLY, we think you should come to the BYT + NAT GEO 125TH YEAR ANNIVERSARY JAM. We have The Knocks. We have Weird Science. We have all sorts of cool explorers on hand. We have DJ Richard Mixin’. We have Meerkats in 3D. WE HAVE PIRATES. We have punches from around the world. In other words-we have everything. My estimate is that this is going to sell out before today, so get those tickets.
- Before you do that-you may be looking for somewhere to grab a drink? OYAMEL JUST renovated their bar and it re-opens tonight. We have a first look with photos and everything here. Or check out Rosa Mexicano’s JUST launched new summer cocktail menu. We tried all of it for you.
- also: see the Patrick Dempsey classic “Can’t Buy Me Love” for free @ Rosslyn Gateway park
- or grab a drink at I RICCHI before catching “Rear Window”, also for free, at Heurich House
- your 90s crush bomb explodes with NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK/BOYZ II MEN AND 98 Degrees descending upon Verizon Center
- Super Art Fight returns to BLACK CAT
- there are some great shows:
- Bright Light Bright Light, BRETT, Betty Who (who was featured in this week’s TUNES YOU SHOULD F*CKING KNOW) and Misun play 918 F Street
- Baths are @ Black Cat Mainstage (big interview with them coming tomorrow)
- We Were Promised Jetpacks are in town and at Jammin Java
- and for theatre fans: ANYTHING GOES just opened @ Kennedy Center
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- daytime: BEER BOURBON and BBQ festival descends onto National Harbor. Sounds pretty real.
- early on in the evening: Drew Magary stops by Politics & Prose. It will be funny AND dry. Mentally prep yourself for it by reading this interview we did with him.
- then-looking for a place to grab a drink tonight? lots of awesome new spots recently opened and we have full first looks etc at them: SHOW TIME in Bloomingdale, Derek Brown’s Mockingbird Hill, Arcuri in Glover Park and more
- take a road trip to Flying dog Brewery for DEER TICK, the second of their SUMMER SESSIONS (click here for a recap of their first one with OF MONTREAL so you know what to expect)
- check out THE ROOTS @ Kastles stadium
- followed by a party with QUESTLOVE @ Howard Theatre
- take a mental vacation to New Orleans by checking out BRASS-A-HOLICS Go Go Funk Band
- Jose Gonzalez and JUNIP make beautiful music @ 930 club (click here for a chance to win tickets to that)
- DR. WHO burlesque lands @ State Theatre
- tonight’s dose of nostalgia is delivered by HANSON @ Fillmore
- and DILLON FRANCIS is @ Lincoln Theatre
- bonus: DC Musicians perform Classic Albums of 1967 @ The Electric Maid The title pretty much sums it up. Multiple Acts covering timeless songs.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- CALL YOUR DAD! WISH HIM HAPPY FATHER’S DAY! DO IT!
- then: EAT BRUNCH (maybe WITH your Dad) and THEN DO SOME DAY DRINKING (hopefully WITH your Dad). Use our BRUNCH GUIDE and our OUTDOOR DRINKING GUIDE as your bibles.
- Then, I always recommend watching movies and with MAN OF STEEL and THIS IS THE END both opening this weekend, it seems like a no-brainer option (full reviews on Friday, in the FILM SECTION, as always)
- but this evening is looking kind of amazing too:
- GRIZZLY BEAR and the XX are @ Merriweather
- Glen Hansard is breaking hearts @ 930 club
- DAN CROLL is @ Sixth and I
- PRINCE RAMA bring all the weird, all the time (in the best way imaginable) to THE DUNES
- and MAYBE most importantly- the AIR SEX CHAMPIONSHIPS are @ RNR Hotel. Always a truly special time (preview coming FRIDAY)
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. PLUS: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
- TILL NEXT TIME, keep your head in the game: