Hey everyone! This week’s edition of DC BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun and minimum stress, and will be dedicated to assorted hard-partying superheroes and supervillains that rock our world, so as to better get you in the mood for our SPANDEX party this Friday.
Before we start-a few PSAs…
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS and GOODIES:
- IN DC-SO MUCH COMING UP:
- THIS FRIDAY – AS the BWB theme suggests SPANDEX @ Wonderbread Factory-the BYT + Capitol Pride Superhero party with RYE RYE, AVAN LAVA, BRETT, and so many more amazing people. Get details + tickets RIGHT HERE. SHARON NEEDLES IS THE HOST. THIS WILL SELL OUT.
- and next Friday, June 14th – BYT and NAT GEO come together for a special museum after hours celebration of National Geographic’s 125TH YEAR ANNIVERSARY. We have the Knocks, we have Jack Sparrow impersonators, we have PUNCHES FROM AROUND THE WORLD. Details and bound-to-sell-super-fast tickets HERE.
- also: keep an eye out for a 4th of July Party Announcement on Monday (spoiler alert: a pool is involved) AND a big, awesome BYT + Phillips Collection party AND afterparty for July 11th announcement coming soon. SO MUCH TO LOOK FORWARD TO.
- IN NYC:
- We’ve got another One Step Beyond party happening tomorrow night (Friday June 7th) at the American Museum of Natural History featuring DJ sets by Q-Tip, Nickodemus and DJ Eleven. Grab tickets while you can, OR try your luck at winning them.
- PLUS on Sunday we’ve got an amazing event at the South Street Seaport thanks to Prince Rama; they’ll be leading a yoga and visualization session filled with tunes, AND a place both… will be providing a cool-down DJ set. All free, all the best.
- ALSO: behold the the very necessary BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: Paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.SO-SIGN UP.
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- first and foremost: the single greatest photo set BYT ever published? POSSIBLY.
- Happy PRIDE WEEK everyone.
- On that note-PLEASE check out our BYGays section of all manner of awesome gay/lesbian/etc guides to this weekend + A MEGA BEST WEEKEND BETS OF THEIR OWN coming a little later today.
- ALSO: a very, very, VERY special DEVENDRA interview. Did we mention it was very special?
- ALSO: a handy list of DC’S MOST AND LEAST EXPENSIVE COCKTAILS. Treat yo’self.
- PLUS-a truly SPECTACULAR amount of giveaways: MAN OF STEEL + ARIEL PINK + DAVID BYRNE/ST.VINCENT + SUPERNOVA BIG BANG DANCE PARTY + more coming your way today (FOALS + JAZZY JEFF + SOURCE FESTIVAL +…)
- and, of course:
- our weekly FOOD NEWS ROUND UP has all the delicious scoop you can handle in DC
- AND of course-to stay UP on all the shows you need to see this week-check out our SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK listicle + playlist, DONE AND DONE.
- LONG TERM USEFUL:
- FREE OUTDOOR CONCERT GUIDE for this season is out
- BURLESQUE GUIDE – where to enjoy tassels and pasties in DC these days
- DC OUTDOOR MOVIE GUIDE for 2013 (now with a few addendums to boot: Screen on the green schedule, anyone?)
- BRUNCH GUIDE 2013
- BYT’S ANNUAL DC OUTDOOR DRINKING GUIDE IS HERE. USE IT AND ABUSE IT.
- Also-our handy adventuring-in-DC springtime recommendation list too
- GUIDES! out our exhaustive, extensive, hilarious-yet-informative FOOD, FINE ART, FILM, MUSIC, STYLE and THEATRE editions for SPRING/SUMMER 2013. Information you can use for 25 weeks.
- And as always-a gentle reminder we now how BYT NYC homepage too and publish a NYC Best Weekend Bets. So….tell yourself/ friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
- And you can stay forever in the loop and follow us on facebook & twitter & pinterest too
OK-ready for the weekend now?
- Couple of all-weekend useful things:
- OUR FREE/ALMOST FREE THINGS TO DO IN DC weekly guide – the #1 stop for budget friendly entertainment in town
- OUR HAPPY HOUR HOTLINE – awesome new happy hours/awesome old happy hours/awesome outdoor happy hours
- Aside from that:
- Top Chef fan? After work head over to Union Market where Rappahannock Oyster Bar and Salt & Sundry are welcoming Chef Edward Lee for a book signing party for his newly released cookbook Smoke & Pickles. Yes, you read that right: Smoke & Pickles
- Summer camp movie series kicks off @ Hirshhorn with a dogs-gone-wild screening of BREED
- Shows wise (and please note-more on all of these in our SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK post, which also includes a classy Spotify playlist so you can get acquainted with the bands on all levels) :
- The National and Dirty Projectors are @ Merriweather
- The Dig EP Release show with Brett and Wheelie @ Beats
- MOBB DEEP is @ Howard Theatre. Good times.
- and The London Souls @ Rock ‘n’ Roll Hotel
- for dance purposes: Butch Clancy, Mayhem, Getter @ U Hall
- local music fans-it is great night to check out some smaller, DC centric shows too: Sansyou @ Treehouse Lounge, Black Girls and Congo Sanchez @ Tropicalia and The Tender Thrill and the El Reys @ Comet Ping Pong
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- well, you should OBVIOUSLY come to SPANDEX first and foremost. SHARON NEEDLES, AVAN LAVA, RYE RYE, BRETT, GLITTERLUST and so much more. AND it is the first event ever at the newly redone Wonderbread factory. DETAILS + PREVIEW RIGHT HERE (all signs point to it selling out). Need costume inspiration? We got you covered on that too.
- but also:
- SUPERNOVA Performance art festival kicks off today (click here for the preview) AS DOES the Source Festival (click here for that preview). It has been a while since so much weird descended upon DC all at once and you should be super pumped.
- add to all that:
- DECON/RECON – a mash up of mixed media and music
- Paperhaus, Shark Week and The Young Rapids @ R’n’R Hotel –a super solid (and awesome and fun) local bill
- Best of Burlesque(r) @ Black Cat
- a very sweaty start-of-summer BODY JAM dance party
- A LOT of free movie ops (BACK TO THE FUTURE! RISKY BUSINESS!) and free hang-out ops (JAZZ IN THE GARDEN!)
- and Capital Jazz festival @ Merriweather
- and Lil Jon is at the Huxley
- and it is shaping up into a pretty solid day/night/everything
- ALSO-if you are a theatre fan, it is a GREAT week: Becky Shaw @ Round House Theatre, The Guardsman @ Kennedy Center AND Stupid Fucking Bird @ Woolly are all playing and are all terrific (if for very different reasons, obviously).
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- Pride is EVERYWHERE TODAY. Check out our BYGays section for a solid guide throughout, but no matter what-make sure that free Icona Pop/Emeli Sande/Cher Loyd concert on your calendars.
- then-the big jamboree that is NOT pride is the BIG BANG Supernova Dance Party, happening as part of the the SUPERNOVA Performance Art Festival. Ultra Nate, Gavin Holland, Holly Bass, bands and more. Click here for details AND a chance to win a pair of tickets.
- and DJ Jazzy Jeff is hosting SUMMERTIME: The Party @ Howard. We’ll have tickets to give away to that later today-so check in.
- Also on the docket:
- Devendra Banhart is @ Sixth and I. You should go because it will be strange and beautiful and also because after reading this interview we have with him you may want to marry the guy.
- KiKi Local Designer Showcase is happening @ Fillmore – Expect: a runway show, a party, food and more.
- Lissie is @ U Hall
- the very buzzy PEACE make their DC debut @ RNR Hotel
- Bentzen Ball alum Matt Braunger brings the funny to Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse
- BAR BONUS: both SHOWTIME in Bloomingdale and Derek Brown’s Mockingbird Hill will be in full swing this weekend, and you should be excited for both (if for very different reasons). Click on those links for full first looks and photos and more.
- ALTERNATIVE BRUNCH EXPERIENCE BONUS: Pilates on the Patio returns to Poste and the Electric Summer Brunch combines eating/dancing/good causes-all in one handy package.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- DEAL WITH YOUR HANGOVER
- EAT BRUNCH
- OR OBVIOUSLY take yourself to this CRAB CAKE competition at the Source which pretty much sounds like pure heaven to us
- see some movies: we recommend BEFORE MIDNIGHT, WE STEAL SECRETS, SIGHTSEERS and more. WE DON’T RECOMMEND: AFTER EARTH (we do however strongly feel that you should read this essay on M.Night Shyamalan and his ouevre. It is titled “THE TURD OF HOLLYWOOD“. )
- if after all that you still don’t want to just stay home and watch the season finale of GAME OF THRONES (how insane was that last episode? relive it with our recap HERE) 3 great shows happening tonight:
- Sea Wolf is @ RNR Hotel
- Tricky is @ 930 Club
- and/or get REALLY weird with Pharmakon @ Black Cat.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. PLUS: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
- TILL NEXT TIME, signing off!