Hey everyone! This week’s events on DC BEST THANKSGIVING WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress and will use assorted images of FRIENDS, because, you know, THANK YOU for being one of those to us this year.
Before we start-a few PSAs…
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS:
- Plus, stay forever in the loop and follow us on Facebook & Twitter & Pinterest too because we have MORE MAJOR EVENT ANNOUNCEMENTS COMING UP!
ALSO: behold the the very necessary BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: Paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs. You’ll feel generous with your screwdriver.
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- we’ll address all Thanksgiving related stuff under THURSDAY section of this article, but here is some non-turkey good reads:
- WE INTERVIEWED KATHLEEN HANNA. Still feeling giddy about that one.
- discussed what your 20s, ANNOTATED were all about
- had a very imporant gif conversation with Seth Cohen re: his impending nuptials to Blair Waldorf
- we spent a boozy weekend with Catoctin Creek
- hung out at the new Mutiny Workroom (and wanted to move in)
- taught you how to take wine stains out of your clothes
- and actually mustered some nice things to say about Adam Levine (true story)
- Our trusty SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK guide
- Our FOOD SECTION has all the delicious scoop you can handle in DC
- LONG TERM USEFUL:
- Are the PARENTS PLANNING A VISIT? Here’s the only guide you’ll ever need to keep them entertained.
- Our 2013 edition of LEAST DOUCHEY BARS IN DC.
- related: HANGOVER GUIDE-pro tips.
- Our FILM GUIDE: the best new releases, the worst new releases, the DC film events you want to see and more
- Our MUSIC GUIDE: best new albums, music for girls by girls, opening bands worth checking out, HOW TO MAKE IT AS A BAND in DC and more
- Our ART GUIDE: must see museum shows, awesome gallery openings, fairs, pop-ups and cool art events
- Our THEATRE GUIDE: shows to laugh, cry AND think about.
- Our FOOD/DRINK GUIDE: gorgeous photos of delicious food and drinks.
- Our STYLE GUIDE: know what to wear now that it’s cold.
- Our guide to the finest DC TRIVIA NIGHTS
- BRUNCH GUIDE 2013
- And as always-a gentle reminder we now how BYT NYC homepage too and publish a NYC Best Weekend Bets. So….tell yourself/friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
Are you ready for the weekend, now?
- Traditionally, this is THE party night of the week, for all the obvious reasons. And, unlike most “a little bit of shows/a little bit of drinking/a little bit of culture” nights, it is ALL ABOUT the bar scene tonight. Here is what to do.
- BUT, First things first:
- ALSO: peruse our FREE THINGS TO DO IN DC THIS WEEK for budget friendly outings this weekend. We’re ALWAYS thinking of you. ALWAYS.
- there is a Pre-Thankful Dance Party @ Black Whiskey to check out
- dance to high quality soul at JIVE TURKEY @ Showtime or high quality 80s jams @ Little Miss Whiskey’s
- celebrate America with BRUCE IN THE USA @ The Hamilton (if you need extra Springsteen motivation, read this)
- and a Thanksgiving Eve Jam feat. Familiar Faces @ Howard
- sing country karaoke @ Hill Country
- be extra close to the pardoned Turkey at STRIP THE DISTRICT at the W
- or feel free to simply swing by one of our 2013 choices for LEAST DOUCHEY BARS IN DC.
- shows wise, since there ARE some shows: ROB ZOMBIE is @ 9:30 Club, K. Michelle is @ Fillmore and Black Cat has Paperhaus and friends on tap
- if you are in Baltimore or into going there, the annual SPANK ROCK pre-Thanksgiving extravaganza happens @ Metro Gallery.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff (SERIOUSLY, JUST SO MANY)
- HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
- Whether you’re spending it with your family, friends, friends of your family or you know, in some alternative scenario-WE HAVE YOUR TURKEY DAY COVERED WITH ALL THIS:
- DC’s favorite chefs and mixologists share their thanksgiving traditions, recipes and tips. Score.
- Looking for some PLACE SETTING Inspiration? We asked some of the most creative, tasteful people we know what they’d do and they told us/showed us. THIS IS PINTEREST GOLD, we promise.
- Planning a Friendsgiving? HANDY TIPS RIGHT HERE.
- Heading to a girlfriend’s house for Thanksgiving? HERE IS WHAT TO WEAR.
- Wondering about THANKSGIVING EAT/DRINK Specials about town? WE HAVE THAT RIGHT HERE.
- A vegetarian? We have EVEN YOU COVERED.
- Home and want to avoid talking to people? NO PROBLEM.
- plus, OUR Soundtrack to your Thanksgiving Dinner Playlist
- and, Black Cat’s Red Room is open as every Turkey day for your just-hang-out-at-a-bar needs.
- Wake up, make a perfect leftovers sandwich – THIS IS HOW
- Now-chances are, you are still in some sort of immobilized state-whether it is the amount of food, amount of drinks or amounts of family time that caused it-I don’t know.
- BUT-watching a movie is always great. Read all of the words you need to know about new releases in our FILM SECTION.
- Feel more like staying in? HOME ENTERTAINMENT column TO THE RESCUE
- MARY POPPINS IS PLAYING @ AFI today too. (!!!!!!!!!!!) and you can get weird with Pasolini’s Gospel According to Matthew for free @ National Gallery of Art (which is showing for FREE and can be followed by a twirl around the ice-skating rink, which is NOW OPEN)
- Not that into movies?
- GO SHOPPING. BUY YOURSELF A NEW JACKET. GO LESS STRESSFUL SHOPPING by checking out THREAD at Union Market, the super awesome fashion showcase/holiday bazaar which kicks off today. Check out our preview here.
- at night:
- kick things off with a CASUAL happy hour at FLASH feat. great music by Future Times folks and no drink over $5
- dance those calories away at the LADY GAGA VS. BEYONCE VS. RIHANNA dance party @ 9:30 Club
- see this PRINCESS BRIDE play @ Fort Fringe
- unleash your inner GLEEk when Matthew Morrison stops by Kennedy Center
- and go hang out with ALL THINGS GO @ Bourbon, for RAD TURKEY III
- in the mood for just a weirder kind of night after all that wholesomeness this week? PLENTY OF OPTIONS
- the WEIRDO SHOW returns to @ Bier Baron
- Animal Collective are DJing U Hall
- and SCANNERS, the David Cronenberg anti-feel good movie feat. exploding heads is screening @ Angelika
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- also, don’t let anyone mess with that sandwich for you, k?
- with the city all sorts of quiet and mostly tourist-less, spending a day roaming around some great art shows, seems like a good idea:
- we’re pretty deeply in love with everything happening at the Corcoran right now, so… check out Alex Prager’s amazing FACE IN THE CROWD and Mia Feuer’s AN UNKINDNESS
- check out that Anchorman exhibit at the Newseum
- OR any daytime activities suggested HERE would work, whether you have parents on hand or not
- use our DC PHO GUIDE + OUR DC RAMEN GUIDE as your lunch bibles for some perfect big bowl slurping during this cold, cold weather we’ve bee afflicted with this week. It will also serve as a nice palate cleanser from all that turkey you’ve been stuffing down your gullet.
- plus, FREAK BAZAAR.
- then, break to refuel:
- at night:
- lots of local, and local pride shows:
- DC born and bred THE WALKMEN, with the support of DC’s own Sunwolf and Will Eastman play a great show @ Union Market’s Dock 5, as part of that sweet THREAD event we mentioned
- Drop Electric are releasing a record @ RNR Hotel
- Ra Ra Rasputin are @ DC9
- and Junior League makes a comeback @ Black Cat
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff:
- HANGOVER CURING TIME!
- BRUNCH TIME!
- leaving the house?
- check out SHOP LOCAL FIRST week or take yourself to CADY’s ALLEY HOLIDAY POP-UP bazaar or this sweet Ledbury pop-up which basically looks like what a perfect male pinterest board should be be.
- check out Diego Rivera’s A MAN AT THE CROSSROADS at the Mexican Cultural Institute
- KELLY ROWLAND is @ Howard
- Sansyou is doing their “gravity guitar instrumentals” at Marx
- or take yourself to the 50th anniversary screening of BIRDS @ AFI.
- but mainly, take some naps.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. PLUS: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
- TILL NEXT TIME: