Hey DC! Looking for things to do this weekend? BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress. We’re putting all the good stuff this week into one post since there’s no week/weekend split here, lets be honest. Our theme: people we are grateful for making 2018 a bearable place, even joyous sometimes.
• Thanksgiving is Thursday. While you’re preparing for the holiday, read our feature Thanksgiving Advice from Chefs.
•A good revisit for Thanksgiving week when everyone is gone and D.C. is a non-stressful place to go out in: our annual Least Douchey Bars in DC list
• That poutine pop-up was a success. Here are our ideas for future, regional food based pop-ups.
• Alexandra Waldman, founder of Universal Standard is our Dream Job interview this week.
• It’s November. Have Your Best November.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• Will the NGA ice rink finally be open? Only time will tell.
• Screen Queen Presents Welcome to the Doll House at Suns Cinema. God that movie is uncomfortable.
• Bier Baron’s Professors & Pints series covers force vs. the first amendment. That’s a fun way to kick off a holiday week.
• Art Garfunkel sings songs at Wolf Trap.
• Nerd out about “Bohemian Rhapsody” at The Legacy of Bohemian Rhapsody at Lost Origins Gallery.
• Tonight’s X-Mas lights pick is the Winter Walk of Lights at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens in Vienna, Virginia
• FREE PICK: Drink some local drinks at Green Drinks DC Happy Hour at Shop Made in DC.
• Hang out with The Menzingers at Black Cat.
• The Dead South rises at 9:30 Club.
• Jack Harlow plays Songbyrd.
• Miss Freddie Gibbs when he was in D.C.? See him tonight in Baltimore at Ottobar.
• FREE PICK: Comedy Potluck is at The Wonderland Ballroom. It’s not a food event.
• The Caps play the Blackhawks at home. Someone, anyone, please give me tickets.
• Pusha T plays Fillmore Silver Spring. Come back to BYT next week for our review.
• Petworth Citizen is having a night of Fantastic Beast themed drinks. Go get drunk with some Harry Potter nerds.
• We like IDK at U Hall.
• Jackson Galaxy talks about cats at The Lincoln Theatre. What a world!
• DC9 hosts a Thanksgiving extravaganza for those of you looking to get drunk the night before.
• Spend the evening with Allen Stone, and others, mostly others, at 9:30 Club.
• If you have a car and a hankering for lights, drive through the opening night of the Bull Run Festival of Lights.
• Catch Luna Honey at the Kennedy Center. It’s a good week to knock out some classic D.C. activities.
• Smut Slam DC: Heads or Tails – Where Sex and Storytelling Collide in the Capital is at Ten Tigers Parlour.
• Give thanks for funk at the “Give Thanks for Funk” all-vinyl night at Denizens.
• Tash Sultana and Ocean Alley are at The Anthem.
• FREE PICK: Do some karaoke at Slash Run. Screaming songs the day before Thanksgiving seems like a good plan.
• Happy Thanksgiving! Check out our Thanksgiving Guide.
• We could list every event in this section.
• But we made a Thanksgiving guide for a reason.
• So please just click on the Thanksgiving guide.
• And make our lives easier.
• It’s all in there.
• We promise.
• It’s officially X-Mas time so Drink Comapny’s Miracle on Seventh Street pop-up is now open. Merry X-Mas.
• Go back in time at 9:30 Club’s Hot in Herre dance party.
• Do some moon bathing. Live your Goopiest life.
• Songbyrd is kicking off Black Friday with some vinyl deals.
• Nicole Byer is at Drafthouse Comedy tonight and Saturday. She’s great.
• The next Punk House Comedy is tonight at Songbyrd.
• Bring the family to NSO Pops: Walt Disney Animation Studios: A Decade in Concert at The Kennedy Center.
• Head to Baltimore for The Windup Space’s The Pumpkin Spice Social.
• FREE PICK: Head to the opening night of ZooLights and get all those cute Instagrams before the rest of your friends.
Do some daytime stuff:
• It’s Small Business Saturday. Support your local small businesses.
• DC Brau’s holiday market is back, if you’re looking to get a jump start on your holiday shopping. Actually, it’s not a jump start. Thanksgiving is over. Buy some gifts.
• Another holiday market option is the American Visionary Art Museum BAZAART Holiday Art Market.
• Get that X-Mas tree today! Stop by the Holiday Pop-Up Shop & Olde City Christmas Tree Farm in Van Ness.
• Get a tiny, art version of a X-Mas tree! Stop by the ArtRave Special Christmas Extravaganza.
• Get a coffee. Or wine? Or a nap? Or toss glitter in the air?
• Feel like a college kid with the Front Bottoms at The Anthem.
• Spend your night dancing off those Thanksgiving calories at U Hall‘s Daft Punk party.
• Rhizome has a 24 hour collective performance piece. This sounds like a wild ride.
• Robot / lady / YouTube sensation Poppy is at 9:30 Club.
• Maze plays DAR.
• This Neil Young tribute band sounds like something your dad might be into.
• Stop by CityCenter and check out the giant tree. It’s big.
• FREE PICK OF THE DAY: Drive to Baltimore and enjoy the 72nd year of Hampden Maryland Miracle on 34th Street.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our SHINY NEW UPDATED DC BRUNCH GUIDE.
Leaving the house?
• Do you have tickets to see Michelle Obama? Another week, another “intimate conversation,” in an arena.
• Performer you’d recognize from Chappelle’s Show, Donnell Rawlings, is at DC Improv.
• Bas plays MilkBoy ArtHouse.
• It’s National Fondue Month. Eat some cheese at The Fainting Goat.
• Blues legend Bobby Rush plays Bethesda Blues & Jazz Supper Club.
• Your holiday weekend is over. Go ice skate on a roof.
• FREE PICK: Visit NoMa’s first park.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT CALENDAR PAGES, so use it and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Until next time, say your thanks: