Hey everyone! This week’s LONG selection of events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress with JFK AND AMERICA as the themes because Tuesday is America’s Christmas. And Saturday we + Smithsonian celebrate the JFK Centennial in style. You’re invited.
Some really cool things coming up in the next few weeks
•THIS SATURDAY! JULY 1st! Celebrate the JFK 100 with us at a magical after hours event at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History. PLUS: Purity Ring DJ set, Jonathan Toubin, Kid Congo Powers, open bar courtesy of our friends at SKYY and Old Bust Head, etc. Tickets are going VERY fast. And the price goes up day of. Grab them now.
• We are THRILLED the Bentzen Ball Podcast Studio is coming back to the Kennedy Center this July. Michael Ian Black! Mortified! Reductress!
Can you even contain the excitement? Contain it.
All sorts of great stuff:
• We announced the return of the Sweetlife Block Party. The D.C. edition features Blood Orange and more.
• The new wine bar Maxwell Park has the best staff shirt. Check our out First Look.
• The This Used to Be That series takes us to Scotland to explore the former Gaelic Church of Inverness, current Leakey Books.
• Jack Rose has a new Executive Chef that’s worked at The French Laundry. We stopped by for a Taste Test.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• The pick of the day is the Smithsonian Folklife Festival which begins tonight and runs through July 9.
• World Series Champions Chicago Cubs take on the Nats. The Chicago Cubs won the 2016 World Series.
• Hang out with us The Liason Capitol Hill roof top pool for the Heineken AfterWork Kick Off: Pool Party Edition.
• DeRay Davis begins a run at the DC Improv.
• Do you like outer space? Do you like movement? Do we have a show for you! Dancing with the Stars: Live! – Hot Summer Nights at The Theater at MGM National Harbor.
• Sizzla is at Howard Theatre.
• New York Times Modern Love columnists Mandy Catron, Ada Calhoun, and Dan Jones are at Sixth & I.
• Do some yoga at the National Cathedral.
• Flowerbomb, Turtlenecked and Cool American play Comet Ping Pong.
• Head to Politics & Prose to hear Nick Laird talk about his book Modern Gods.
• Pronoun is at Songbyrd.
• The W hosts the Please Do Not Enter pop up. Fashion.
• The show of the weekend is Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit and The Mountain Goats at Merriweather Post Pavilion.
• America the Game Show. F*ck Yeah! is at the GALA. Why is anyone afraid to just spell out fuck? Fuck. It’s not difficult. It shouldn’t offend anyone that’s not offended by F*ck.
• Kennedy Center dude Ben Folds presents DECLASSIFIED: Ben Folds Presents.
• It’s a lot cheaper to see a Fleetwood Mac tribute band than Fleetwood Mac. Go to Fillmore Silver Spring for a Fleetwood Mac tribute band.
• Watch David Byrne drive around Texas at Suns‘ screening of True Stories.
• The Chuck Brown Band plays on the Mall.
• Too much America this weekend? The French Embassy has a summer reception.
• Get low at Get Low at 9:30 Club.
• Stop by DC9 for The Fez & Moustache Party.
• Truckeroo is back at The Bullpen
Do some daytime stuff:
• We enjoyed the new Zaytinya Rosé brunch.
• 35 independent merchants are celebrating Independents Day Georgetown.
• Catch a ciné-essay about clowns and a behind the scenes look at the circus at NGA‘s double screening of I clowns and Constellations.
• Check out the Red White & Brew Festival. Win tickets from us.
• Head to The Smithsonian’s Lemelson Center for From Jazz to Go-Go: The Sounds of Community and Change.
• Watch some films about Native Americans in the U.S. Armed Forces at the American Indian Museum.
• Hysteria Brewing Company celebrates their grand opening.
Go home and regroup for the evening:
• We the Party People @ The National Museum of American History! Purity Ring DJ set! Open Bar! Best views in the city! Us! USA!
• Band that still makes good records The Pains of Being Pure at Heart is at Rock & Roll Hotel.
• Supper the kids! The Girls Rock! DC 2017 Showcase is at 9:30 Club.
• Burlesque is at Black Cat.
• Beanie Sigel is at The Howard Theatre.
• We like Boogarins at Songbyrd.
• Tunnel Vision DC in the Dupont Underground sounds very interesting.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Check out our Weekly BYT Guide To DVD Releases / On Demand / Instant Netflixing.
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• We will be at the Red White & Brew Festival. Win tickets from us.
• There’s a water balloon fight on the GW campus. I thought this was just for college kids but there are more than 5,000 interested people on Facebook so I guess people of all ages love water in latex.
• Big Business is at DC9. They’re good.
• Stop by Atlas Brew Works for Earthling, Foehammer and Narrow Grave.
• See the cult classic Putney Swope at the African American History and Culture Museum. It will be followed by a discussion with Robert Downey, Sr. and Jordan Carlos.
• Sam Kogon headlines Black Cat.
• Fantom Comics hosts a zine swap.
• It’s free community day at the National Museum of Women in the Arts.
• We’re spending America’s Eve at Marx Cafe for the excellent Outlaws DJ country western night.
• Shy Glizzy is at Fillmore Silver Spring.
• Go see Baby Driver.
• We wholeheartedly endorse Red Hot Chili Peppers tribute band Red Not Chili Peppers on their name alone. They’re at State Theatre.
• Rare Essence headlines an “old-school” go-go night at Howard Theatre.
• The W hosts their 5th Annual Le White Party.
• See some fireworks a day early. The Nats set some off after their game.
THEN, USE THIS:
And just like that, the very long weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, keep up the good work: