(or even if you’re happy, really)
DC Beer Week starts this Friday, August 20 and runs through the following Saturday, August 28 offering a load of events to enjoy this wonderful alcoholic beverage in oh so many formats. My first thoughts were “wasn’t DC beer week a few months ago” but apparently I had it confused with DC Craft Beer Week and also “what kind of ‘week’ starts on a Friday and ends the following Saturday?” but I’ll just let that slide since I do admit that it’s likely more beer will be consumed on weekends and opening and closing parties on a Friday and Saturday can’t be a bad look. According to the official Twitter feed @DCBeerWeek they are still adding and wrapping up details on several events so everything set now is likely not the end product. That said, let me recommend a few events planned at this time so we can celebrate the deliciousness properly.
- The week kicks off on Friday, August 20 with two events (6PM & 10PM) at Rock and Roll Hotel sponsored by Washington City Paper and Nerd Night DC including beer information sessions, bands, and of course – beer drinking. Only $10 each event or $16 if you want to enjoy them both. All the details can be found at the Nerd Night website.
- Sunday, August 22 brings another kick off event (??) with a pricey 5 course brunch at Pizza Paradiso followed by what looks to be a fun 3 hour beer infused cruise including more than 20 breweries and food of course. It is limited to 150 people and is a bit steep at $70 but still looks like it would be well worth it and pretty memorable. Only problem is it kicks off from the Old Town waterfront so getting there might be a pain in the ass…not to mention trying to get home. Not the best location choice for beer week since public transportation is allergic to Old Town. Especially on a Sunday night.
- On Tuesday, August 24 a more low-key event is the Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe “Brooklyn Brawl” Beer and Cheese Tasting.
- Churchkey throws it’s main event on Wednesday, August 25 at 6PM with the Heavy Seas Oak Cask & Firkin Bonanza which makes the beer nerd in me drool just thinking about it. The taste of a great beer from a cask, let alone one made with oak, or a firkin is always a treat. There will also be glasses handed out so you’ll get a little souvenir of the event.
- That night the Nationals are also holding a beer event at the ballpark during their game against the Cubs in conjunction with Leinenkugel with a decent $22 ticket which includes four beer samples. I’m always hesitant when I see the word “samples” thinking they’re going to be the size of a shot but at least you get something out of it and there are other decent beers sprinkled throughout the park (I’m still wondering when Flying Dog is going to pair up with some DC stadiums, I’m sick of Miller Light).
- Two of my all-time favorites – beer and oysters – will be enjoyed on Thursday, August 26 at the Reef during it’s “Rogue Ales Oyster Fest”. Three floors of oysters and beers as well as other tasty treats from 5-10PM has to be my choice event of the week. I can’t track down a price for this event but whatever it is, it’s worth it for me.
- Saturday, August 28 offers the Firkin Spectacular at RFD starting at 7PM with limited $40 tickets providing an “all cask access pass” to their back room and whatever they’re offering there. Casked beers will also be offered to other customers after 8PM for only $5.
There definitely seem to be more events and details in the works so keep an eye on the official DC Beer Week website to see any changes as well as a plethora of other events taking place. In the end, I’m happy to celebrate beer anytime, anywhere.
Let us know what some of the events you’re looking forward to are.