Patrick continues his “Creep on the Cheap” column with some cuisine tips. Just because you’re on a budget doesn’t mean you have to settle for half-smokes, jumbo slice or Jamaican beef-patties. It is very possible to eat well AND save your hard earned cash for the weekend.
Written while listening to Teenage Fanclub’s “A Catholic Education.”…..without further ado, I present to you:
Colonel K’s Baller-Ass Chicken and Greens
(Serves two OR you can use the rest for leftovers…)
*1 LB Fresh Boneless Chicken Breast
*One 12 oz packet of frozen green beans (If you want to be a finicky petit-bourgeois who insists on cooking with fresh veggies from the nice big Giant, then go ahead).
*1/3-cup olive oil
*Assorted seasoning and spices that are sitting in your cupboard
1. Rinse the chicken and remove any excess or unsightly fat
2. Take the olive oil and pour it onto a plate. Sprinkle the seasonings of your choice into the oil. I like using pepper, Goya Adobo, Monterrey Chicken flavoring and a pinch of powdered garlic
3. Take the chicken breasts and apply your homemade glaze
4. Set the oven for 420 degrees (I chose this number at random, I swear) and cook the chicken on a tray for 25 minutes.
5. While the chicken is cooking, find a way to kill 15-20 minutes. You know, set the table, check your voicemail, look at yourself in the mirror…
6. Ok, now bring three (3) cups of water to a boil. Then, empty the veggies into the water. Add a tablespoon of butter or margarine for flavor. Cook until they are soft, but not soggy and nasty. Drain the hot water in the sink.
7. Take the chicken outta the oven. Arrange with vegetables in an aesthetically pleasing manner.
want more frugal goodness?
check out Patrick’s beat junkie on a budget premiere column.