Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington (RAMW) is all set to kick off its celebration of cocktail culture and restaurants as DC Cocktail Week returns (with a twist) next Monday, November 16 through Sunday, November 22nd at more than 75 restaurants across the Metropolitan Washington region where diners can enjoy thoughtfully and deliciously paired cocktails and small plates. BYT is very excited to be the official media sponsor for this and present 2 of the virtual events next week. We hope you can join us.
The limited-time food and drink pairings are available for indoor and outdoor dining, takeout, delivery, and curbside pickup depending on each participating venue. (Select restaurants will also offer cocktail-kits-to-go, where diners can order the kit and make the cocktail in the comfort of their own home with easy-to-follow instructions or video tutorials.)
And NEW this year is an impressive lineup of seven marquee virtual events fueling cocktail and mocktail intrigue for foodies and spirited enthusiasts alike ft. live interactive conversations, educational programming and exclusive experiences.
The events are free, or require a minimum $1 donation to register, supporting the RAMW Worker Relief Fund. The virtual events require registration, and are as follows:
Monday, November 16, 2020
Featuring: Duane Sylvestre, Campari Group Representative, Cocktail Expert, and RAMMYS Cocktail Program of the Year Winner and 5x Finalist
“From RAMMYS New Restaurant of the Year Cane, spend time with acclaimed Chef Peter Prime and Campari Group’s Duane Sylvestre as they explore rum, talk island food and drink pairings, and cook and mix drinks!”
Moderator: Nevin Martell, DC-Based food and travel writer, parenting essayist, and photographer
Tuesday, November 17, 2020
“Industry Night brings you up close and personal with the trends and trendsetters across today’s diverse food, wine, spirits, brews and hospitality landscape. Tune in to join Nycci as she talks cocktails with the region’s best restaurants.”
Wednesday, November 18, 2020
“Join Mr Lyan himself, Ryan Chetiyawardana, the “World’s Most Influential Bar World Figure” and winner of the 2020 Best American Cocktail Bar award for Silver Lyan at Riggs Washington, DC for a special industry talk with Editor-in-Chief of PUNCH Magazine, Talia Baiocchi. Welcome special guest bartenders from around the globe for a live on Zoom conversation on cocktails, the influence of capital cities around the globe and how they look to reflect the people, culture, history, future and landscape of a place. Be part of the fun as Mr Lyan his guest talents talk shop, make drinks, and share culture and recipes too.”
- Ryan Chetiyawardana, A.K.A. Mr Lyan, Silver Lyan, White/Super Lyan, Cub, Dandelyan/Lyaness
- Stephanie Polly Simbo, Behind Bars Akademia; Global Brand Manager Plantation Rums; Cape Town, South Africa
- Liz Furlong, Maza Bistro, Bebedero; San Jose, Costa Rica
- Chef Johnny Spero, Reverie; Washington, DC, USA
- Vijay Mudaliar, Native Cocktail Bar; Singapore
Thursday November 19, 2020
“Award-winning Chef and Bar teams at four of DC’s top restaurants come together for a conversation on the marriage of food and spirits as they cook and bartend in delicious collaboration.”
Moderator: Eun Yang, News4 Today Anchor/Reporter
- Maydan and Compass Rose: Chef Paola Velez, Executive Pastry Chef and Jess Weinstein, Development and Drinks
- Serenata & Zumo: Andra Johnson Managing Partner & Beverage Director and Tatiana Mora Chef & Partner
- Daikaya Izakaya: Chef/Partner Katsuya Fukushima and Beverage Director Nalee Kim
- Jack Rose Dining Saloon: Chef Russell Jones and Beverage Director Andy Bixby
Friday, November 20, 2020
Bars and restaurants hold our communities together. They are the places we go to celebrate to congregate. They are our homes away from home. But we don’t just go to bars for the ambience, food or drink — we also go for the people. Join us on this Friday before Thanksgiving week as three of the most vibrant, community involved young bartenders mix some drinks for you, and catch up with artists, musicians, comedians and other creatives that make our community something worth cheering for.
- Andra Johnson of Serenata
- Frank Mills of Roy Boys
- Al Thompson of Thip Khao
Sunday, November 22
“In the past few years, in response to the rise of the sober-curious movement, a growing number of new brands and ‘mocktails’ have entered our world, as nonalcoholic replacements for traditional spirits, but intended with the same purpose: sippable, mixable, complex drink ingredients intended to be enjoyed by adults. Join us for an afternoon of recipes, demos and conversations with some of the brightest, most creative voices working in the space today.”
- Derek Brown, spirits and cocktail expert, owner of award-winning Columbia Room, and author of Spirits, Sugar, Water, Bitters: How the Cocktail Conquered the World
- Julia Bainbridge, and author of Good Drinks: Alcohol-Free Recipes for When You’re Not Drinking for Whatever Reason, published by Ten Speed Press this October.
- Lauren Paylor, award-winning bar expert, formerly of Drink Co. and Silver Lyan, and co-founder and owner of Focus On Health
Sponsored by: Perrier and Bacardi North America
DC Cocktail Week sponsors include Bacardi North America, Perrier, Campari Group, PepsiCo, and Brightest Young Things.
To share and explore DC Cocktail Week experiences, make sure to use the hashtag #DCCocktailWeek on FB, IG, and Twitter, plus tag RAMW. (Follow RAMW at @ramwdc across all platforms to hear the latest updates on DC Cocktail Week and other programming, too!)