We’re about to make your lives a whole little bit easier. As our faithful readers will tell you, we here at BYT love posting guides for you to breeze yourself into lazy, gluttonous, yet tasteful oblivion. To do this, time after time we venture out into the cold (actually, ridiculously hot) world and weed through the mediocrity so that we can bring you the best D.C. has to offer. We tell you where to eat, where to hang, where to party, and even what to wear to all of these things. We know, we know. You’re welcome.
EATS/DRINKS – Because you’re going to need a whole lot of energy to handle of the summery awesomeness.
- Spring/Summer Food Guide – Look at you, wasting away. You’re clearly not taking full advantage of all the beefy, cheesy, sea-foodie goodness we’ve compiled for you. This guide’s got the best seasonal offerings from shops around town, tips for entertaining, and the best foodie events of the season.
- Outdoor Drinking – And how better to wash down all that good food than with some refreshing summer drinks? The best spots for summer hangs, peoplewatching, happy hour, and new patios/rooftops/decks just prime for your summer drinking enjoyment.
- Memorial Day Tips (Grilling) – We do, however, understand that throwing at least one cookout this summer is just the American thing to do, so we’re firing up the grill with you with these tips. (Seriously, if you don’t grill at least once, I.C.E. will deport you.)
- Refreshing/Frozen Cocktails – With all the quality time you’ll be spending–just you, the grill, and the great outdoors–don’t let yourself (or the grill) overheat. Cool down with these great frozen drinks and refreshing, boozy concoctions (and cool that grill too. If you try to give us a burger well-done, we will end you.)
- BRUNCH- Because, obviously. Want to know about the best bottomless brunches, prix fixe deals, new spots, seasonal menus and more? Of course you do.
LOOKIN’ GOOD – Because every time you step out, the heat index should rise at least 20 points.
- Poolside Accessories – Yes, you do look oh-too-cute in your cutoffs and tees, but it’s time to advance that trend with some summery accessories.
- Summer Festival Fashion – Going to festivals is one of the best things about our summers. Going to festivals and being really, really, ridiculously good-looking, well that’s a little something for everybody. Not only do we break it down for you–we gathered some of our favorite festival insiders, musicians, A&R reps, photographers and more to weigh in on the best looks of the season.
- Summer Sunglasses Guide – If you’ve gotta protect those gorgeous winkers from the blinding sunlight, you may as well look cool doing it. (For good measure, toss in a fake cigarette, a la James Dean.) We sought out the best specs for men and women, local and beyond.
- Summer Travel/PackingGuide – Hint: It is no longer acceptable for your “suitcase” (read: high school book bag) to only contain a toothbrush and a single pair of underwear when you travel. We asked some of our favorite jet-setters what and how to pack for maximum style, no matter the size of the suitcase.
- Spring/Summer Style Guide – And finally, because we don’t want you to have ANY excuse for looking frumpy this season, we collected the best fashionable events to go to, events to dress for, beautifully costumed movies to see, stores for the men in your life and more…
ALL THE ACTIVITIES – Because being bored is for suckers.
- Outdoor Movie Guide – Nothing says summer like a blanket in the grass and a movie under the stars, which is why we’ve got you covered with the District’s best outdoor screenings. From classics and blockbusters to antiheroes and the pro picks for date night, do it up right with a free flick.
- Outdoor DC adventures – “But I’ve already seeeeeeeeen the monuments.” Don’t be a chump. Make the most of this fine city with hidden sights and activities–no excuses not to spend your evenings out and about exploring like the G.D. adventurer you are.
- Spring/Summer Theatre Guide – Add some class to your hot summer nights (and escape the heat in a cool theatre) with our top picks of the best festivals, dramas, comedies, musicals and more. Think theatre is stuffy? Guess again. We’ve got the lowdown on “Rocky Horror,” “Book of Mormon,” and new works you’re guaranteed to love so stop being so judgy.
- Free Outdoor Concert Guide – FREE. MUSIC. Now that we’ve got you outfitted for outdoor tunes and festivals, slip on some shades and hit these free shows for total sonic bliss.
- Spring/Summer Fine Art Guide – Let’s face it, living in and around D.C. can be overwhelming when it comes to our selection of (almost always free) art. We know, wah, wah. Well we’re here to help you take advantage of it with the best museum exhibits, independent galleries, and awesome art events.
ALL THE TRENDS – Because there’s no better way to beat the heat than being cool and in the know.
- Spring/Summer Film Guide – We’ve said it once and we’ll say it again–escaping the heat with a movie is THE way to go. (Bless you, A/C units of the world.) Looking for the best new releases? How about Movies That Seem So Bad They Must Be Good (in that meta way)? Maybe it’s so hot and you’re so lazy that you can’t even budge from bed; don’t worry for even a second–the best of Netflix is here for you, too.Oh, and if you CAN get yourself out of the house, we recommended some incredible D.C. movie events, too. You’re welcome.
- Songs of Summer – What’s the best way to keep the summer spirit alive through the hottest of hot–and in our hearts in the coldest of winter? SUMMER SONGS. We weighed in on our favorite summer jams, throwbacks and the “IT” songs of 2013 all for your listening/keep-that-warm-weather-dream-alive pleasure.