Hey everyone! It has been a rough week for the world. This week’s selection of events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress with lights (& music) as our theme, because we’re pretty jazzed to escape reality at OPUS1 festival this weekend.
• JUST ANNOUNCED! NOVEMBER 4: National Air and Space Museum + BYT Present: FOUND IN SPACE! We’re finally at the Air and Space Museum! Open bar! Moon Boots (the musical act)! Moon boots (the shoes)!
• OCTOBER 20: SOLD OUT! SAAM & BYT Present: Murder House Party! A Renwick Gallery Opening. Get on the waiting list! Our events sell out in advance. Which means you should probably buy your Bentzen Ball tickets now.
• OCTOBER 26-29: Bentzen Ball 2017 is coming! Tig! Amber Tamblyn! Jermaine Fowler! Colin Quinn! Jenny Slate! Podcasts! Storytelling! Some great shows are on sale. Some shows are already sold out!
Can you even contain the excitement?
• Make the most out of October with our handy month long guide.
• October is the best month for live music D.C. has ever seen.
• We have all sorts of magical, terrifying photos of Pub Dread for you to look at while you stand in line for it.
• We have your October beer drinking schedule all lined up. Lucky you.
• Here are some sick happy hours near Nats Park.
• Our Free Things column is VERY useful.
• Photos of tiny dogs make everything better
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
Lets do this.
•BYT is supporting ArtWorks For Freedom ACTION DC! this month, so stop by their official opening event at the rooftop of the W Hotel. DJ Spooky is performing a world premiere piece, Otherfeels is DJing, there is a cocktail you get with the ticket, and 100% of the proceeds go to support this amazing organization.
• Spotify is hosting a free screening + afterparty for I’M WITH THE BANNED. Go / RSVP.
• The Washington Project for the Arts is throwing a release party for the zine “We Are SO Not Getting the Security Deposit Back; a Guide to Defunct Artist-Run Spaces”. It’s really the best zine name.
• Aquilo and Yoke Lore play Rock & Roll Hotel. We talked to Yoke Lore about ghosts and it was fun.
• Jeni’s Ice Cream is having their grand opening and the first 50 people get free scoops. There’s nothing better than free ice cream.
• Support female artists at the opening night part for SUPERFIERCE, a traveling art show.
• Go to Comet to see Pouty, Idle Bloom and Kid Claws.
• NEEDTOBREATH is at 9:30 Club if you’re into that.
• Town Tavern has transformed itself into a Harry Potter themed bar. We don’t know how to feel about it.
• RAC is at Black Cat and we regret to inform you it is mad sold out.
• This screening of Arreo is a great excuse to hang out at the Embassy of Argentina.
• It’s the first day of the All Things Go Fall Classic. Galantis, The Knocks and Bearson headline today.
• Celebrate the 40th anniversary of Studio 54 at the W. You need some extra glitter and gold in your life. RSVP HERE.
• Catch some amazing Thai food at Alfie’s pop up at Porrón.
• Future of Sports opens today
• Awkward Sex… And The City returns to Black Cat. If you like watching funny strangers talk about their sex lives, this ones for you.
• METZ and Uniform are at the Rock & Roll Hotel if you need a little more punk in your life.
• Drink some Junot Diaz themed cocktails at Petworth Citizen.
• Nappy Nappa and friends are at the Backbar.
• The Kennedy Center is throwing a free after party for their Jason Moran & Q-Tip show. Go dance to DJ Rich Medina and The Marksmen. We cant wait to see more hip-hop at the Kennedy Center.
• Go see The Wild Party at the Source.
• Naomi Punk, Ulta Beauty and Staffers take over your favorite pizza place / small venue, Comet Ping Pong.
• It’s a First Friday in Park View so there are a ton of sick deals to be had at some great bars and local spots.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Opus 1 starts at 4pm and is FREE so it fits both the daytime and nighttime need for lights and magic and your mind being blown in the Merriweather woods.
• Taste of DC is at RFK both today and tomorrow
• Porchfest takes over Adams Morgan.
• Head back to the All Things Go Fall Classic to catch Young Thug, Vince Staples and Cashmere Cat.
• It’s the Shaw Open House. Expect lots of free samples and discounts.
• Love art and stuff? Check out the opening weekend of Renoir and Friends at The Phillips Collection.
• SAAM is celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month with crafts, a museum wide scavenger hunt and plenty of Latino art.
• Hunker down and get serious at NGA’s screening of Death and Devil.
Go home and regroup for the evening:
•Do more Opus 1
•Married people Cameron Esposito and Rhea Butcher here to make you laugh at the 9:30 Club.
• Head to the All Things Go after party at U Street Music Hall. Luca Lush will be there.
• See some sick movie themed art at Showtime.
• The VVitch is one of the best horror movies to come out in the last few years. Go see it at Suns.
• Ritmos Raros is back at Songbyrd and you do not want to miss it.
• Alvvays plays a sold out show at Rock & Roll Hotel.
• A magician named Nate Staniforth is at the Black Cat. He’s a magicians who’s given a TED talk. Magicians are fucking sweet.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Spend your long weekend revisiting our always golden Murder Mystery Streaming Guide.
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• Kid Cudi is at Echostage. Remember when you couldn’t turn a corner without hearing “Pursuit of Happiness”?
• It’s the last day of the All Things Go Fall Classic, so close it all out with Foster the People, Bleachers and Betty Who.
• It’s October, so if you see Wand at DC9, you’ll kind of be on theme.
• Hank’s Cocktail Bar is having a High West Boulevardier competition and we could not be more into it.
• End your weekend with Glass Animals at the 9:30 Club.
• More Taste of DC
• The National Cathedral is turning into a 17th century English tavern for one night only and they’re calling it Navetoberfest. Damn those people know whats up.
• Check out the Spirit of Fall at ARTECHOUSE.
• Head to Busboys & Poets to catch a spoken word performance centered around ending human trafficking as part of ACTION DC!.
• See the spooky scary movie Eyes Without a Face at Suns Cinema.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, keep up the good work