Hey everyone! This week’s funny/terryfing selection of events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress with the Bentzen Ball Comedy Festival talent as your spiritual guides. It is the best four days of any year. LAUGHTER HEALS, PEOPLE! Lets give them a round of applause.
• THIS WEEKEND! STARTING TODAY! Bentzen Ball Comedy Festival! Tig! Jenny Slate! Amber Tamblyn! Jermaine Fowler! Podcasts! Storytelling!
• NOVEMBER 4: National Air and Space Museum + BYT Present: FOUND IN SPACE! We’re finally at the Air and Space Museum! Open bar! Moon Boots (the musical act)! Moon boots (the shoes)! This is: a. likely to sell out and b. price will go up week-of and then again day of, so seize the early bird opportunity and grab your tickets now.
Can you even contain the excitement?
• It’s Halloween weekend! The BYT Halloween Guide will fulfill all your spooky needs.
• Speaking of Halloween, here are 10 Costume Ideas Only D.C. Can Love.
• Your long read for the weekend: Trash Pandas, Madmen, and Hysteria in Columbia, Maryland
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• Bentzen Ball opening night! The Most Very Specialist Evening with Tig Notaro (and Seaton Smith and Greg Barris) at Lincoln Theatre! (this is close to selling out, so – get those tickets now)
• Aminé is at The Howard Theatre.
• BYT friend Sara Curtin has an album release show at Black Cat.
• Get free beer and corn dogs during Shaw Main Street’s Vote For Shaw party at Ivy and Coney. Ivy and Coney is a great bar. No frills.
• Visit Jaleo for their Gin & Tonic Festival.
• The further along we get in 2017, the more we think the Prepare for the Unexpected: Urban Emergency Preparedness event at REI DC might be valuable.
• Drop some $$$ at the Smithsonian Food History Gala.
• Final weekend to see The Wild Party at Source.
• Afrosonidera and DJ Diaspora are at Songbyrd.
• One last Big Ugly Truck dance party.
• Bentzen Ball night 2 Happy Hour for a great cause! What She Said: Women Talk the Business of Comedy with Tig Notaro, Cheryl Hines and Stephanie Allynne, moderated by Washington Post’s Elahe Izadi at POV Lounge at W Hotel!
• Bentzen Ball night 2! How Did This Get Made? at Lincoln Theatre! Sold out.
• D.C. champions Paperhaus has their record release show at Black Cat.
•Tamron Hall hosts Becky’s Fund‘s 2017 Walk This Way fashion show and fundraiser. Your favorite pro athletes work the runway to help put an end to domestic violence. Open bar, followed by after party at The W Hotel. Use discount code bytwtw for $100 GA tickets.
• The Library of Congress is one of our favorite places in D.C. Visit their Chambers of Mystery pop-up and the Creating Modern Ghost Stories: The Blair Witch Project program.
• The National Zoo is one of our other favorite places in D.C. Go there for the annual Night of the Living Zoo.
• Misterwives headline 9:30 Club. At least one person has proposed at a Misterwives concert, right?
• The Head and the Heart fill The Anthem.
• Head to Hyattsville for their inaugural Final Friday Art Walk.
• See Psycho on the big screen at Miracle Theatre.
• Radiator Hospital headlines Comet with Outer Spaces and Saturday Night supporting.
• Stay in and watch all of Stranger Things season 2.
• Speaking of Stranger Things, Stranger Queens are at Town.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Bentzen Ball Day 1 (it’s actually day 3 but since this is our first festival show during the day it’s technically day 1 but also technically day 3)! Jermaine Fowler + David Koechner + Rell Battle Superior Donuts Tour at DC Improv!
• Calling all cider-heads (that can’t be right), the Rock the Core Cider Festival is today and tomorrow.
• Hop in a car and head to Inferno Pizzeria Napoletana in Gaithersburg.
• Go back to the Library of Congress for a Hocus Pocus screening.
• The Halloween Spooktacular in the Congressional Cemetery is family friendly.
• National Gallery of Art screens Black Peter.
• See a matinee of Antony and Cleopatra at Folger Theatre.
• Celebrate Dìa de los Muertos in Petworth.
Go home, take a nap and regroup for the best evening:
• Bentzen Ball night 3! Big Terrific featuring Jenny Slate, Max Silvestri, and Gabe Liedman at Lincoln Theatre! (plus, a cool free pre-show too)
• Bentzen Ball night 3! Andrea Gibson, Amber Tamblyn at Kennedy Center! (this is close to selling out)
• Bentzen Ball night 3! Story District: Stories About Roughing It, Getting Dirty, And Flying Without a Net at Nat Geo! (price goes up day of, grab tickets now)
• If you’re not at one of our Bentzen Ball shows, consider the annual Halloween Wicked Garden Party at Dirty Habit.
• Primus and Clutch pluck strings at The Anthem.
• Maggie Rose is at The Barns at Wolf Trap. Her new record is good.
• Nellie McKay plays AMP by Strathmore.
• The 80s Mayhem Halloween Dance Party is at Black Cat.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• Bentzen Ball closing night! Al Franken and Ira Glass at Lincoln Theatre! Sold out.
• Bootsy Collins has a Halloween party at Howard Theatre. Maybe Ira Glass will be there! He most likely will not!
• If you like cats with your Halloween, we recommend National Cat Day at the Freer Sackler.
• If you like dogs with your Halloween, we recommend A Very Barky Halloween at The Yards.
• If you like classical music with your Halloween, we recommend the NSO Family Concert: Halloween Spooktacular at the Kennedy Center.
• Khizr Khan speaks at Sixth & I. That won’t be depressing in any way.
• Bad Suns is at 9:30 Club.
• When is the last time you ate at Michelin str awarded Blue Duck Tavern?
• Last weekend to enjoy Pub Dread.
• Comet has their Haunted Hop Halloween DJ party.
• Alice Waters, a leading figure in the organic foods movement, talks about her new book at Politics and Prose.
• Final performance of The Lover and The Collection at The Shakespeare Theater.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, keep up the good work.