Hey everyone! This week’s selection of events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress with SPACE as a theme, because our FOUND IN SPACE party is this weekend.
• THIS SATURDAY: National Air and Space Museum + BYT Present: FOUND IN SPACE! We’re finally at the Air and Space Museum! Open bar! Moon Boots (the musical act)! Moon boots (the shoes)!
Can you even contain the excitement?
• Welcome to November! Have Your Best November.
• Mean Girls is now a musical. We talked to Tina Fey about not nice young women.
• Here’s a somewhat depressing and somewhat fun piece: Men We Hope Are Not Actually Sexual Predators
• Enter our very excellent The Future of Sports giveaway.
• We had a chat with Found in Space performer Moon Boots.
• Gawk at hundreds of photos from Bentzen Ball 2017. Hundreds of photos.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• BYT faves Loud Boyz play Black Cat.
• Halloween might be over but we highly recommend you see zombie film Train to Busan at the Korean Culture Center.
• Some of us are looking forward to Hoops at Rock & Roll Hotel.
• The Shins play The Anthem.
• Photographer Amanda Lucidon talks about her book Chasing Light: Michelle Obama through the Lens of a White House Photographer at the Mt. Pleasant Neighborhood Library.
• Visit Espita Mezcaleria and sample some of their new fall cocktails.
• Josh Ritter & The Royal City Band are at The Lincoln Theatre.
• It’s Adult Swim at The Bird’s Nest. This has nothing to do with the television network. It’s an outdoor happy hour on the roof of The Bird.
• Play some trivia at DC Brau.
• Phoebe Ryan is at U Hall.
• The Super Spectacular Comedy Show for Black Lives Matter is at Bier Baron.
• Sir EU, Roz & The Rice Cakes and Shana Falana are at Paperhaus.
• Podcast! You, Me, Them, Everybody Live at The Wonderland Ballroom.
• Podcast! Pod Tours America is the early show at The Anthem.
• Podcast! Lovett or Leave It is the late show at The Anthem.
• Go to Suns to see Chinatown.
• Cabinet is at 9:30 Club.
• Adam Ruben talks about his book Pinball Wizard: Jackpots, Drains and the Cult of the Silver Ball at Politics & Prose.
• Some of us are excited for The Dears at DC9.
• It’s Ladies Night at Folger Shakespeare Library.
• We like ULTA BEAUTY, Faunas, Ulta Beauty and GLOVE at Slash Run.
• George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic are at Howard Theatre.
• Astronaut Scott Kelly talks about floating in space at GW.
• Stay in and binge Alias Grace on Netflix.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Head to Alexandria for Novemberfest at Rustico Slaters.
• Go to the Expo Siciliana! and take a deep dive into Italian music, film screenings, food and more.
• Baseball season is over. Drinking beer in ballparks is not over. The DC Beer Fest is at Nats Park.
• See Eisenstein’s Old and New set to music at NGA.
• The first weekend in November means it’s time for the Czech Christmas Market.
• Alton Brown brings his science show to the Warner. There’s a matinee and 8 p.m. show.
• Catch a matinee punk show at Slash Run with Vacation, CHILL PARENTS and The Sniffs.
• The Aki Matsuri (Autumn Festival) is at the U.S. National Arboretum.
Go home, take a nap and regroup for the best evening:
• The event of the weekend is National Air and Space Museum + BYT Present: FOUND IN SPACE @ Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum! FINAL BYT MUSEUM PARTY OF THE YEAR.
• Griz is at The Anthem.
• Go on the Mt. Pleasant lantern walk.
• Push a bowling ball to The Breeders at The Lincoln Theatre.
• Legendary comic Paul Mooney is at Howard Theatre.
• JD McPherson headlines Black Cat.
• Adam Ferrara is at the DC Improv.
• Indie-classical composers and an award-winning poet combine in The Blue Hour at Sixth and I
• The Void is throwing a Halloween party with Talk to Plants, Tomato Face, Zephyranthes, Mercury Retrograde and Standees. Tickets are $6.66. Yes, Halloween has passed.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• We recommend Flying Lotus at Echostage.
• Kevin Smith tells stories at Lincoln Theatre.
• Watch some break dancing at the Words, Beats and Life festival at Kennedy Center.
• The National Museum of Women in the Arts hosts the DC Art Book Fair.
• Blitzen Trapper is at Black Cat.
• Final day to see Spirit of Autumn at Artechouse.
• The Isley Brothers are at Kennedy Center.
• Ariel Pink plays music at 9:30 Club.
• Go on a Full Moon Hike with some folks from REI.
• And The Kids and Kalbells are at DC9.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, keep up the good work.