Hey everyone! This week’ selection of weekend events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress with DISCO as a theme because Bibliodiscotheque! (but also: probably the busiest DC weekend of 2017 yet ahead in general!)
Some really cool things on the horizon:
• THIS WEEK: We are thrilled to partner with Library of Congress on Bibliodiscotheque. Gloria Gaynor! Mike Simonetti! Super sold-out! Sorry. Livestream can be found here. BUT YOU CAN STILL GRAB TICKETS TO THESE MAGICAL THINGS…
• JUNE 16! BYT & Nat Geo’s Excellent Adventure – Explorers Festival After Hours! Oddisee DJ SET! Museum take-overs! Explorers everywhere! Tickets are on sale! Buy now! Tickets sell out every year.
• We are thrilled to be media sponsoring Dine-N-Dash.
• Speaking of Dine-N-Dash, you like brunch, right? Enter the RAMW & BYT’s Brunch Passport Challenge.
• Enter the FotoDC Spring 2017 Competition.
• Celebrate women AND nature with the new Force of Nature series which kicks off this weekend.
• Plus, some BIG, MASSIVE, SUPER SHINY announcements coming up so: stay forever in the loop and follow us on Facebook & Twitter & Instagram & Pinterest. Use #BYThings too.
Can you even contain the excitement?
• Welcome to May. Have Your Best May.
• Welcome to May. Have a laugh. Consult our May Comedy Guide.
• Welcome to May. It’s National Burger Month. Consult our Veggie Burger Guide.
• Next weekend is your last to see the Hirshhorn’s Yayoi Kusama: Infinity Mirrors. Plan accordingly.
• Our What’s In Your Fridge? series continues with Iron Gate’s Chef Tony Chittum.
• Our Inside The Artist Studio series continues with Nora Simon.
• Plus, we brought you our weekly FREE AND ALMOST FREE THINGS TO DO IN D.C. & SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK & THE WEEK IN OUTSIDE & HAPPY HOUR HOTLINE. USE THEM.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• Civilian Art Projects is bringing together Damon Krukowski and Ian Svenonius to talk about music. Third coolest event of BWB? (Disco @ LoC 1 and Broccoli City 2?)
• Last chance to see Brian Wilson perform Pet Sounds at The Lincoln Theatre.
• It’s May the fourth. The International Spy Museum has deep dive into Star Wars with Star Wars or Spy Wars.
• Highly Suspect and And the Kids are at 9:30 Club.
• Russell Howard is at Sixth and I.
• There’s a benefit concert for Many Languages One Voice at Rock & Roll Hotel with District Sky Punch, The Prahns, Lookout Gang, Shining Blade Theory.
• The Georgetown Library is celebrating Asian Pacific Heritage Month with a screening of Mongol.
+ ALL SORTS OF other stuff (SERIOUSLY, JUST SO MANY)
• Celebrate Cinco de Mayo at Canal Park. Luchadores!
• Oh yeah, it’s Cinco de Mayo! Consult our Happy Hour Hotline for some May 5 specials.
• Spend your Friday early evening at the lululemon Georgetown Grand Opening with Furniteur, giveaways and a free open bar.
• You, Me, Them, Everybody is back at Wonderland Ballroom! Hang out with us and The Washington Post’s Ben Terris!
• The best concert of the night is Loud Boyz’ record release show at Rock & Roll Hotel.
• The sexiest concert of the night is Ricky Martin at MGM National Harbor.
• Breakin’ Even Fest returns for 2017 at Songbyrd.
• Jay Pharoah is at the Lisner.
• Fellow SNL album Kevin Nealon is at the Kennedy Center.
• Very young person Jacob Sartorius is at 9:30 Club.
• It’s first Friday at Hillyer. Go check out art from Julie Wills and Joseph Crawford Pile.
• Sir E.U, Crue, Moody, Beardless, Odd Mojo, and King Willow are at the commune.
Do some daytime stuff:
• The coolest (?) music festival in D.C., Broccoli City, takes over Gateway DC.
• This Saturday and next feature two of the best events that could only happen in D.C. Today is the annual Around the World Embassy Tour.
• Plus, Happy Birthday to D.C. with daytime Funk Parade things
• If you attend the Flower Mart at the National Cathedral you’ll have a better day.
• If you want the opposite of beauty in nature, see some experimental animation at the National Gallery of Art.
• The 6th Annual Running of the Chihuahuas is at The Wharf. Six years of tiny dogs.
Go home and do some prep for the evening:
• Gloria Gaynor performs at the Library of Congress. This is super sold out. You can check out the live stream here but please don’t email us for tickets. If you don’t have tickets, you’re not getting in. This is 100% personal and we can see everyone reading this. We decided to throw this cool, free event to make you upset. For personal reasons.
• If you’re not at our Gloria Gaynor concert, you should be at the free Force of Nature Launch Party at Denizens. Come back Monday for coverage.
• If you’re not at the LoC or Denizens, you should be on U Street for the Funk Parade.
• The 37th Annual PEN/Faulkner Awards are tonight at the Folger Theatre.
• Madame Butterfly opens at the Kennedy Center. Come back to BYT for our behind the scenes feature.
• The great show options continue with The xx at Merriweather.
• Suns is throwing their one year anniversary party!
• Black Lips is at Black Cat.
• Clap Your Hands Say Yeah is at Rock & Roll Hotel.
• If you need more double neck guitars in your life (you do need more double neck guitars in your life), head to Fillmore Silver Spring for Coheed & Cambria.
• It’s night 2 of NSO Pops: Indigo Girls at the Kennedy Center.
• Closing out the best day of live music for 2017 (thus far) is the second night of Breakin’ Even Fest 2 at Songbyrd.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your other staying-in-viewing pleasure:
• Check out our Weekly BYT Guide To DVD Releases / On Demand / Instant Netflixing.
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house to look for a stick and more fun?
• The Bourbon & Bluegrass event at President Lincoln’s Cottage looks great and is very sold out.
• Dudes in dresses and others in dresses will be at the Sundress Fest at the Wonderland Ballroom. Embrace dresses and help raise some money for DC Central Kitchen.
• It’s Gay Day at the Zoo! This is a thing!
• Love the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack? Is that a thing people love? You can see it performed live at the Howard Theatre.
• Slowdive and Japanese Breakfast at 9:30 Club should be good.
• Watch dance with the stars? Are the dancers now the stars? Julianne and Derek Hough are in The Theater at MGM National Harbor.
• Tycho is at Echostage.
• Free Community Day is back at National Museum of Women in the Arts.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, don’t forget.