Hey everyone! This week’s long selection of weekend events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress and have John Lithgow as a theme because Trial & Error is the funniest thing we’ve seen on TV since Parks & Rec, and it is time to celebrate the fact that Lithgow is ALWAYS a good bet.
Some really cool things on the horizon:
• JUST ANNOUNCED: We are thrilled to partner with Library of Congress on Bibliodiscotheque. Gloria Gaynor! Tim Gunn! Mike Simonetti! Free and open to public, just make sure you register.
• SAVE THE DATE: We are thrilled to be media sponsoring Dine-N-Dash again.
Can you even contain the excitement?
• Not sure if you need more coffee? This flow chart made of coffee about coffee will help.
• We updated our Breakfast Guide. It’s always nice to see fights about what constitutes breakfast and brunch.
• Looking for a restaurant for a birthday party? Go to Tiger Fork.
• National Alien Abduction Day was this week so we published Aliens I’d Like To Fuck.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• The Zombies are at 9:30 Club. They’re playing Odessey and Oracle.
• We’re checking out Midwestern Gothic at Signature Theatre. Come back for our review.
• There’s a benefit for Casa Ruby at JR’s.
• Boo Seeka is at Black Cat.
• It’s National Puppy Day and Mellow Mushroom is celebrating on their roof.
• The Wydown has a latte art competition. That’s a different thing to attend. Watch people make latte art?
• Catch After the Spill, part of the DC Environmental Film Festival, at the Tenley-Friendship Library.
• The Memories, Bottled Up, and Emotional play Smash!
• SOHN is at 9:30 Club.
• Minus the Bear, Beach Slang, and Bayonne are at Black Cat. Beach Slang is great.
• Naked Girls Reading do that at DCAC.
• The Blind Boys of Alabama are at Howard Theatre.
• Suns is showing Rush Hour.
• The Japanese House and Blaise Moore are at Rock & Roll Hotel.
• Drafthouse Comedy hosts Off the Rails!!, happy hour comedy and storytelling hosted by Katherine Jessup.
• We’re interested in NSO Pops: Sophisticated Ladies: 100 Years of Ella & Company at the Kennedy Center.
• Sofi Tukker is at U Hall.
• If you don’t work in a We Work, you might want to attend DC Sips, Eats and Sweets Shabbat at WeWork Dupont.
• Led Zeppelin 2 does Led Zeppelin stuff at Fillmore Silver Spring.
• Sierra Leone’s Refugee All Stars and Nag Champa play State Theatre in support of Virgnia Governor candidate Tom Perriello.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Spend the day at Artomatic.
• Celebrate spring at the National Cherry Blossom Festival Opening Ceremony.
• Learn how to make pizza at Alta Strada. If you make bad pizza, you can eat their good pizza.
• Have an afternoon cocktail at National Archives Museum’s History Happy Hour: Cocktails in Cuba
• We will be checking out the Architecture of an Asylum: St. Elizabeths 1852-2017 exhibition at the National Building Museum.
Then go home and regroup before tonight:
• There’s an listening party for OTHERFEELS and friends in the Dupont Underground.
• Legs McNeil, author of Please Kill Me, has a reading at Slash Run.
• SHOUT Bamalama returns to Haydees Restaurant.
• Twiddle is at 9:30 Club.
• Tarantino fans will be interested in The Tarantino Soundtrack Live in Concert at the Howard.
• Chicano Batman is at Rock & Roll Hotel. You know their song from a beer commercial.
• Have a laugh and don’t learn at Fale University at Suns.
• Powers and Bridgit Mendler are at U Hall.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your other staying-in-viewing pleasure:
• Check out our Weekly BYT Guide To DVD Releases / On Demand / Instant Netflixing.
•Watch these films and shows on Netflix before they say goodbye.
•Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
leaving the house?
• Head over to the Hirshhorn and watch I Adore Myself as part of the Kusama on Screen film series.
• Find something to enjoy on Quarter + Glory’s new spring menu.
• Nana Grizol, Bad Moves, David Dondero, and Bacchae are at Comet Ping Pong.
• Trentemøller headlines 9:30 Club. We’re giving away tickets.
• Swing Ting, Ase Manual, Ayes Cold, and TROPIXXX are at Velvet Lounge. We like Ayes Cold.
• Living Body is at Black Cat.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. Don’t just stand there.
Till next time: