Hey everyone! This week’s selection of events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress with James Franco as Tommy Wiseau and Margot Robbie as Tonya Harding as the theme because the week before Christmas is as good of a time as any to remind yourself that if you do something terrible, and you’re lucky, in twenty odd years a beautiful Hollywood celebrity will get to play you on the big screen and likely be nominated for an Academy Award. And that’s as close to a Christmas miracle as we’re going to get in 2017.
Can you even contain the excitement of things to come?
• Have Your Best December.
December also means end of year lists – we just ran:
• It’s the holiday season. That means buying gifts. Consult our massive gift guides so you maintain healthy relationships with the ones you love and/or tolerate. Gifts For Her + Gifts For Him + Gifts For Interesting People With Interests + Holiday Stuff.
• The holidays also means people popping in unexpectedly. Our Holiday Staples Guide may help.
• Hopefully RASA is the future of fast casual.
• Your long read for the weekend: Freshly Tapped: Ocelot’s Hope
• Look at some photos of John Cena bringing children joy at The Library of Congress.
• Look at some photos of Imaginary World of The Nutcracker at ARTECHOUSE.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
YOU LOOK READY.
• We’ll be at Georgetown GLOW All Night. Live bands, shopping, Fashion Santa appearances and more.
• We also like Sugg Savage at Songbyrd.
• See Trans-Siberian Orchestra at Capital One Arena. They’re the metal band that makes Christmas songs metal.
• Funny person Chris Fleming plays a sold-out Black Cat.
• Politics & Prose hosts their Uncorked Reading Series with The Book Maven.
• Angel Olsen makes 9:30 Club intimate.
• The Santaland Diaries at Drafthouse Comedy restarts its run.
• Fat Trel is at U Hall.
• Tony Award winning musical An American in Paris is at the Kennedy Center.
• Play some trivia at DC Brau.
• Suns screens Die Hard. Christmas movie blah blah blah.
• We recommend Lil Uzi Vert at The Anthem.
• Objectify dudes at Good Dic.tion at The Howard Theatre. So many abs.
• While not dudes stripping, the Bah Humbug Burlesque and Variety Show at Black Cat isn’t that different. Less abs than the show at Howard.
• In a similar vein as the Howard and Black Cat options, Naked Girls Reading Presents: A Very Naked Holiday at the DCAC.
• If it’s not Christmas-y enough for you, Lo How a Rose E’er Blooming: Seasonal Early Music of Germany at the Folger should do the trick.
• Last chance to see the Neon Cat art show at the Cherry Blossom Creative.
• Another weekend, another Drink the District Wine Festival.
• Critically acclaimed Shamir is at U Hall.
• The National Ugly Christmas Sweater Day PARTY is at at The Capital Wheel at National Harbor. It’s a national thing?
• See Fake Bodies at Comet.
• Harry & the Potters are at Black Cat. You know what their songs are about.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Did you do all your holiday shopping? You haven’t done all your holiday shopping?!? Our Holiday Markets & Pop-Ups In DC Guide can direct you to holiday shopping options.
• For Book Lovers: Our holiday shopping pop-up for the day is the Duende District Holiday Pop-Up.
• For (affordable) Art fans: We recommend the Transformer Holiday Market & Party.
• Nog Fest is a thing at The Wharf.
• The closing party for Best of IGDC exhibition is at Blind Whino.
Go home, take a nap and regroup for the best evening:
• We like the Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington at The Lincoln Theatre.
• Pray to Lord and Savior Jesus Christ at Church Night at Black Cat.
• The Washington Ballet’s Nutcracker is at Warner Theatre. Seasonally appropriate!
• Dance at G ∆ Y / B ∆ S H at TRADE.
• Dance and gawk at Naughty Snowball 9 at The DC Eagle. Come back next week for coverage.
• Dance at Funktion: Holiday Edition at Jimmy Valentine’s Lonely Hearts Club.
• See OWEL and Northern Faces at Songbyrd.
• Consider Curve of Departure at Studio Theatre.
• BADFISH: A Tribute to Sublime is at Fillmore Silver Spring. ALL CAPS. THEIR DECISION. It’s a powerful tribute band name.
• Have some non-Sublime related fun at the European Holiday Ball at the Embassy of France.
• Drink some Weekend Crush at Bluejacket.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Spend your long weekend revisiting our always golden Murder Mystery Streaming Guide. Cold weather is perfect for murder.
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• Today’s holiday pop-up market pick is the GRUMP Holiday Market at ZooLights.
• Lebron and friends play the Wizards in D.C. NBA > NFL.
• There’s a Plant Party! at The Lemon Collective! Plants! Plants.
• Pentatonix brings their holiday show to The Anthem.
• The opposite of the Pentatonix holiday show while still music is Municipal Waste at 9:30 Club.
• Ai Weiwei’s film Never Sorry screens at the Hirshhorn.
• Another holiday shopping option is Black Cat’s Rock-N-Shop Garage Sale.
• Last chance to check out Winterfest at Wunder Garten.
• We recommend Nothing to Lose (But Our Chains) at Woolly Mammoth.
• Step Afrika!’s Magical Musical Holiday Step Show is at the Atlas Performing Arts Center.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, keep up the good work.