Hey everyone! This week’s events on DC BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress and will use assorted images from our favorite life real couple that you (maybe/though how dare you?) didn’t know was a real couple: Anna Faris and Chris Pratt! Love! Laughter!
Also, want to get this magical guide in your inbox at 9am on Thursday, vs wait for it to go online at noon? SUBSCRIBE HERE.
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS:
- BYT Emerging Artists Super Sampler with DDM, Pleasure Curses, Akoko, Hassani Kwess, Walking Sticks, Farma Wes. Me & This Army, Sheila D Yeah, Ras Nebyu, Loud Boyz and more TBA will be March 1 at The Howard Theatre! Tickets are now on sale! Act now. Last year sold out in advance. This will sell out in advance.
- Also, if you want to get to know us a little better – Svetlana is doing a Fireside Chat @ General Assembly about how BYT came to be and all sorts of other fun stuff. This will take place February 25th.
- You may want to become a VIPER. Seriously. Do this.
- Plus, stay forever in the loop and follow us on Facebook & Twitter & Pinterest too because we have MORE MAJOR EVENT ANNOUNCEMENTS COMING UP! Funny, geographical, photogenic announcements. HINT-HINT.
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- all sorts of great stuff:
- Part 1 of our Reasons To Love DC feature, 10 people/bands that make this place not-so-bad
- We also looked back at the 9 types of people you’ll date in DC
- The Olympics are here and there’s only one question: Why isn’t synchronized skating in the Olympics?
- Stephanie got some romance advice from Ron Jeremy. Tis the season.
- We took a sneak peak at the new No Kings Collective space
- We took a look at a space we’ve been wondering about for years, The Masonic House
- Some drummer from Nirvana was somewhere and we pretended not to care
- Some bands and artists are playing sweetlife 2014 and here’s the lineup
- Valentine’s Day. OH SHIT! IT’S VALENTINE’S DAY! Order some flowers!
- Our Date Guides are back: Blind Date Guide & First Date Guide & our Seal the Deal Date Guide too
- plus, as always-our handy SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK guide
- LONG TERM USEFUL:
- PRO TIPS for having beautiful (or at least less gross) skin this fateful winter
- The Ultimate Gluten-Free Guide to DC – which includes date night options, snacks, PIZZA and desserts, among other things.
- DC WINTER OUTDOOR DRINKING GUIDE IS HERE-fuck you February, we can DO THIS!
- THE BEST PIZZA IN DC
- Are the PARENTS PLANNING A VISIT? Here’s the only guide you’ll ever need to keep them entertained.
- Our 2013-14 edition of LEAST DOUCHEY BARS IN DC.
- related: HANGOVER GUIDE-pro tips.
- Our guide to the finest DC TRIVIA NIGHTS
- BRUNCH GUIDE
- And as always-a gentle reminder we now how BYT NYC homepage too and publish a NYC Best Weekend Bets. So….tell yourself/friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
Now… Are you ready for the weekend?
You are prepared.
- IT IS SNOWING. WE KNOW THAT.
- Important things first:
- our FREE AND ALMOST FREE THINGS TO DO IN DC THIS WEEK guide. Never say we’re not looking out for you.
- it is still cold as f*ck outside – go grab yourself a delicious warm cocktail – HERE IS WHERE.
- also: JUST ANNOUNCED-Lana del Ray IS HEADLINING sweetlife and tickets are on sale TOMORROW
- then start the weekend with a grown up visit to Adams Morgan at the brand new Roofers Union
- start the evening with a free Millennium Stage performance from Jonny Grave
- then Olympics: Capitol City Brewing is hosting Olympic viewing parties for the duration of the games
- then fashion: the W is getting into Fashion Week with a partnership with Bloomingdale’s and a live-stream of NYC events
- then storytelling: a very neat event, SMITHSONIAN at 8 Presents Signed, Sealed, Delivered: A Party at the Postal Museum features Story League
- then shows: the pick of the night goes to the benefit for the Travis Jackson Memorial Fund
with End Crimes, Thee Lolitas, DJs Baby Alcatraz, Mad Squirrel, Collin @ Black CatUPDATE: This show is postponed. We will keep you updated.
- Galactic is at 9:30 Club
- YUCK is at Rock and Roll Hotel
- then dancing: John Thornley is kicking off his new DJ night @ Den Of Thieves
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff (SERIOUSLY, JUST SO MANY)
FRIDAY – HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY.
- OK-time to get this weekend really going. We know you hate the holiday, but it’ll all be fine… BYT IS COVERED IN TIDBITS OF USEFUL INFO about not just surviving but thriving during it.
- SOME PRO TIPS FIRST: from RON JEREMY naturally. If he can keep romance alive then WE ALL CAN, RIGHT?
- also, here are some things NOT TO DO FOR YOUR VALENTINE. X2. We are 100% sure Chris and Anna would agree.
- plus-if you’re in the mood to just wing it-here is our handy guide of RESTAURANTS THAT DON’T TAKE RESERVATIONS. Something for every mood. (and if you’re NOT in the mood for restaurants, we also have a handy map of all of DC SEX SHOPS. Because because).
- and since there may be some touching of body parts later tonight check out our PRO TIPS for having beautiful (or at least less gross) skin this fateful winter
- and no matter what, remind yourself that well, things are not as bad as they used to be. This “How we Lost Our Virginity” story should help.
- NOW, ONTO EVENTS!
- Screen Valentines, everyone’s favorite February movie series is kicking off today. Read all about that and other mandatory February things HERE.
- Chad America’s Valentine’s Day Rock’n’Roll Dance Party turns 10! Read our interview with Chad before you dance away 15 years!
- opera fans – check out a free preview show from Washington National Opera’s Domingo-Cafritz Young Artist Program
- story telling fans – check our Speakeasy at one of two shows at the 9:30 Club, the early show is sold-out and the second one is likely too as well!
- theatre fans – check out RICHARD III @ Folger or Peter and the Starcatcher @ Kennedy Center or The Importance of Being Earnest @ Shakespeare Theatre Company
- animal fans – check out Woo at the Zoo at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo! Nothing screams love like animals having loud, animal sex
- French movies you liked in college fans – Artisphere is having a V-Day screening of Amelie
- almost nude fans – Burlesque-A-Pades Ain’t Misbehavin is at State Theatre
- wine and food fans –15th Annual Washington, DC International Wine and Food Festival at the International Trade Center
- booze fans – our Happy Hour Hotline is full of Valentine’s Day specials, perfect for the couple, single or whatever
- dance fans – Dennis Ferrer with ForQuarters Collective are at U Hall
- a little bit of everything fans – Under The Covers with Adam Friedland, Andrew Bucket, Br’er, Presto Bando and more is at The Dunes
- indie rock in films in the mid-2000s fans – Dead Meadow is at DC9
- psychadelic rock fans – The Black Angels, Roky Erickson & The Hounds of Baskerville and Golden Animals are at Black Cat
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- First things first – Maybe consult out HANGOVER CURES GUIDE first since the potent mix of chocolate, champagne and despair that last night was filled with had to inevitably result in some wicked games going on in your mind and stomach.
- then do daytime stuff:
- Like see some movies. Check back Friday to read all of the words you need to know about new releases in our FILM SECTION.
- go to this amazing looking Tapas art exhibit. Did we mention it looks AMAZING?
- go hang around Menu MBK market – we went last week and we’re still hungry.
- check out the new AMERICAN COOL exhibit at the Portrait Gallery
- catch up on your Oscar viewing and see the nominated films at Global Glimpses Series at National Geographic Live
- in the early evening:
- have you had a chance to check out the cat/gay propaganda at Transfor, HomoCats: Fight The Power
- see the wonderfully named Zimbabwe Legit at the Kennedy Center
- spend some time pampering your long tortured winter skin. Here is how.
- then, go back inside and play with your five cats before heading out for the night
- At night:
- Now that Valentine’s day is behind us, go do some actual non-stressful dating:
- GET ON TINDER. HERE IS HOW TO NOT FUCK UP GETTING ON TINDER.
- If you are real-life dating – Check out our BEST DC FIRST DATE SPOTS – A HANDY GUIDE and BEST BLIND DATE SPOTS TOO)
- sealing some deals? Check out our SEAL THE DEAL Date guide as an added bonus?
- Eat some pizza – in fact, eat some of the best pizza in DC
- Take yourself to a bar. make it a non-douchey one. Click here for our LEAST DOUCHEY BARS IN DC list to make that decision extra easy.
- then: Nouveau Riche reunion @ DC9. Did you win tickets?
- Cibo Matto are @ Black Cat. Keep an eye out for an interview tomorrow.
- Those Darlins with Diarrhea Planet (get it?) are at Rock and Roll Hotel
- The Autumn Defense featuring members of Wilco are at The Hamilton
- Put on a mask because at the Black Heart Masquerade Ball at the Looking Glass Lounge
- A different type of show, the Quiet Cabaret, “an evening of very quiet, essentially silent, performances with accompanying soundtracks & streamed audio to be experienced through headphones” is at FURTHERMORE
- or get all your dancing done at
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- BRUNCH TIME! (also, check THIS LIST out for 5 awesome new brunch specials available as of right now and this handy list of PRESIDENTS’ DAY BRUNCH SPECIALS)
- Feel more like staying in? HOME ENTERTAINMENT column TO THE RESCUE (House of Cards and beyond!). for this week we made a NSFW version of it too.
- ALSO, MURDER MYSTERIES to binge watch on Hulu/Netflix/On-Demand etc – the best guide you’ll find ANYWHERE.
- or-if you’re staying in to watch some Teeeeveee tonight, catch up on previous episodes through our DOWNTON ABBEY + GIRLS + TRUE DETECTIVE (back after a brief hiatus) recaps. Oh, and The Walking Dead returns.
- leaving the house?
- enjoy the future of outdoor music festival music with The Casket Girls, The Stargazer Lillies, Creepoid and Dreamend at DC9
- get your bearded Americana on with Jonathan Wilson with The Blank Tapes at Sixth & I
- get your scream on with Glasvegas at Rock and Roll Hotel
- Monday is a holiday. Stay out. Dance. PEACH PIT AFTER DARK: PresiDANCE Day is at DC9 and ANDY ROURKE (The Smiths) and Rich Morel (Blowoff/Hot Sauce) are doing a free DJ Set at Little Miss Whiskeys
- get all that laughter in at Penn Social with Red Hook Brewery Presents: The Silver City Comedy Show Headlined by Jermaine Fowler. And if that doesn’t get ya then their giant game of Connect 4 will.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. PLUS: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
- Back off Hader! Pratt’s ripped and has that Lego money to fuck some shit up