Hey everyone! This week’s events on DC BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress and will use assorted images from SHERLOCK, which is back and we could not be more excited for it. Needless to say, this weekend is going to be filled with semi-repressed sexual tension and mind games.
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS:
- Keep March 1 clear. Once again, 3/1.
- You may want to become a VIPER. Seriously. Do this.
- Plus, stay forever in the loop and follow us on Facebook & Twitter & Pinterest too because we have MORE MAJOR EVENT ANNOUNCEMENTS COMING UP!
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- all sorts of great stuff:
- PRO TIPS for having beautiful (or at least less gross) skin this fateful winter
- Remember that time we threw snowballs in Dupont Circle? No? We have pictures to prove it.
- MURDER MYSTERIES to binge watch on Hulu/Netflix/On-Demand etc – the best guide you’ll find ANYWHERE.
- ICE SKATING RINKS – go to them.
- This week’s Happy Hour Hotline was very useful. Since a lot of places closed, a lot of other places ran specials. Run to those specials.
- Have you checked our the new Den of Thieves? If you go early you might find a seat.
- BLT Steak welcomed a new chef so we welcomed calories.
- Do you curate your Internet? Get The Net will help.
- Some great giveaways: DARKSIDE @ 9:30 Club + US ROYALTY @ RNR Hotel
- plus, as always-our handy SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK guide
- LONG TERM USEFUL:
- The Ultimate Gluten-Free Guide to DC – which includes date night options, snacks, PIZZA and desserts, among other things.
- DC WINTER OUTDOOR DRINKING GUIDE IS HERE-fuck you January, we can DO THIS!
- Since it is January, DC SLEDDING GUIDE should be perused
- THE BEST PIZZA IN DC
- Are the PARENTS PLANNING A VISIT? Here’s the only guide you’ll ever need to keep them entertained.
- Our 2013-14 edition of LEAST DOUCHEY BARS IN DC.
- related: HANGOVER GUIDE-pro tips.
- Our guide to the finest DC TRIVIA NIGHTS
- DC’S MOST AND LEAST EXPENSIVE COCKTAILS. Treat yo’self.
- BRUNCH GUIDE
- And as always-a gentle reminder we now how BYT NYC homepage too and publish a NYC Best Weekend Bets. So….tell yourself/friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
Speaking of which… Are you ready for the weekend?
Good. lets get this mayhem going.
- Important things first:
- our FREE AND ALMOST FREE THINGS TO DO IN DC THIS WEEK guide
- it is still cold as f*ck out – go grab yourself a delicious warm cocktail – HERE IS WHERE.
- The fun show of the night is Los Campesinos! at 9:30 Club. If you’re looking for fun, go with the band that has a ! in their name.
- The fun/quality house show of the night is Greenland and Sleepy Kitty at Paperhaus.
- The Broken Social Scene show of the night is Brendan Canning at IOTA.
- Preview Chef Marjorie Meek-Bradley’s Roofer’s Union menu at a pop-up at Ripple.
- Have a not cold laugh at Science Club.
- Pat Walsh drops the bomb (plays go-go records) at Marx Cafe.
- Get warm dancing at Patty Boom Boom’s ’95 Live.
- Jump into the literary scene at Barrelhouse Presents The Head & The Hand Press at Petworth Citizen
- Increase your temperature with karaoke at Sticky Rice.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff (SERIOUSLY, JUST SO MANY)
- OK-time to get this weekend really going. We know you’re tired, but rally.
- Violinist Miranda Cuckson plays the Embassy of France in their new cultural FUSION series. Impress your date/yourself.
- No cover at Tropicalia’s Congo y Castra and at Zeba Bar’s Glitther.
- No cover to watch other people dance, Pearsonwidrig Dancetheatre company is at The Kennedy Center.
- Hang out with your favorite older sibling at 9:30 Club and enjoy the mouth of Cowboy Mouth.
- Hang out with your favorite older sibling and younger sibling and anyone that’s ever listened to college radio at The Gene Clark – No Other Tour at 9:30 Club. Not sure who’s in the band? Members of Fleet Foxes, Beach House, Grizzly Bear, The Walkmen and more.
- If you’re looking for hip-hop you can’t do much better than Dom Kennedy at the Fillmore. Stay tuned for our interview.
- If you’re looking to sing, “I’m real” in a very gravil-y voice, you can’t do much better than Ja Rule at the Howard.
- If you’re looking to impress your college radio friends not already going to 9:30, Waxahatchee is at Black Cat.
- If you’re looking to attend an event at the Navy Theater that contains Popcorns and Pasties, well, you know.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- do daytime stuff:
- Like see some movies. Check back Friday to read all of the words you need to know about new releases in our FILM SECTION.
- Art show, art sale, video game tournament, food trucks, DJs and more are at the Blind Whino space for The Amazing Art Jam.
- The Corcoran has an interesting (and family friendly) day planned with SNOW MUCH FUN, a clothing drive and performance workshop.
- Why not embrace the freezing and go sledding! Our guide can help.
- MONSTER JAM! Giant monster trucks do monster truck things at the Verizon Center. Stay tuned for our preview. Really. Come back Friday.
- then, let go and take a break before heading out for the evening:
- At night:
- Did you meet someone cute this week? Check out our BEST DC FIRST DATE SPOTS – A HANDY GUIDE (also useful: BEST DC PLACES FOR A NON-DATE/DATE-HANG)
- Take yourself to a bar. make it a non-douchey one. Click here for our LEAST DOUCHEY BARS IN DC list to make that decision extra easy.
- Some of our favorite local acts, Drop Electric, Raised By Wolves and one of our favorite local comedians, Jamel Johnson, perform at 9:30 Club to raise money for Girls Rock! DC.
- The boys in U.S. Royalty headline Rock & Roll Hotel.
- The boy in the cowboy hat Jonny Grave is at DC9.
- Eric Hilton will be spinning at Den of Thieves. We liked Den of Thieves.
- Carrie Rodriguez brings Texas sounds to the Artisphere.
- Nipsey Hussle keeps the hip-hop and R&B streak at the Howard alive and well.
- Your free dance options include SAO Funky Saturdays at Tropicalia and funk and disco dance night at Dr. Clock’s Nowhere Bar. Our pick is TNT! at Haydees.
- Dance to not but still quality shows like Delorean at Black Cat and Savoy at Fillmore Silver Spring.
- Band that can anything to anyone NRBQ is at The Hamilton.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- BRUNCH TIME!
- Feel more like staying in? HOME ENTERTAINMENT column TO THE RESCUE. ALSO, check out our list of Oscar nominee thoughts for some further suggestions.
- or-if you’re staying in to watch some Teeeeveee tonight, catch up on previous episodes through our SHERLOCK + DOWNTOWN ABBEY + GIRLS + TRUE DETECTIVE recaps. We’ve got your back.
- leaving the house?
- Meat Week kicks off Bar-B-Que Company. Stay tuned for our preview.
- Grow your record collection at Penn Social for The DC Record Fair.
- There’s a reason to go to McLean: 3rd Annual Chocolate Festival.
- Pixies AND FIDLAR are @ Strathmore. Magic. Well, SOLD OUT magic but worth maybe begging around for. Also: keep an eye out for a FIDLAR interview here tomorrow.
- The Reverend Horton Heat brings the heat (sorry) to 9:30 Club.
- Our You Are Here columnist Andrew Bucket joins bands and comics at IOTA.
- Two quality shows near U, Damien Jurado at DC9 and Youth Code at Black Cat. We’re recommending the Black Cat show because Technophobia are opening.
- One of Americana’s finest Grant-Lee Phillips is at Sixth & I. Get there early for opener and former DC resident Adrian Krygowski.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- and then, yeah, sorry-the weekend is over
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. PLUS: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
- You’re not dead, you’re just tired. Till next time, remember to keep those cheekbones sharp and those knowing wink skills sharper: