Hey everyone! This week’s events on DC BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress and will use assorted images from Flowers in the Attic original movie in mental preparation for the bound-to-be-amazing remake which airs this Saturday on Lifetime. Needless to say, this weekend is going to be: #INTENSE
Before we start-a few PSAs…
- want to get this guide in your inbox at 9am vs. wait for noon for it to be published on the site? plus, get early announcements of our events and more? SUBSCRIBE HERE.
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS:
- Next week-join us for our annual OSCARS trivia night. It will be hard and fun and it involves great prizes. Location: Penn Social. In collaboration with Nat Geo Live AND The Academy itself.
- ALSO-if you are in NY this weekend/have friends in NY-we’re hosting a party at the American Museum of Natural History with Juan MacLean, Jacques Greene and More. You/them should come!
- You may want to become a VIPER. Seriously. Do this.
- Plus, stay forever in the loop and follow us on Facebook & Twitter & Pinterest too because we have MORE MAJOR EVENT ANNOUNCEMENTS COMING UP!
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- all sorts of great stuff:
- NO PANTS METRO/SUBWAY RIDE HAPPENED-we have both DC AND NYC photos of this.
- The Ultimate Gluten-Free Guide to DC – which includes date night options, snacks, PIZZA and desserts, among other things.
- DC WINTER OUTDOOR DRINKING GUIDE IS HERE-fuck you January, we can DO THIS!
- If that didn’t make you hungry, these photos of food from Doi Moi will
- New Year-New YOU! Get fit doing weird shit in DC this year – a handy guide.
- Big, red and Blue Chips, our interview with Action Bronson
- plus, a jazzy/rugged new column for the modern outdoorsman. Yep, you read that right.
- also: if you’re not reading our amazing advice column – you’re not living. And possibly even killing people.
- we asked Jack Rose’s Scotch Specialist what we should drink so we’re drinking what she said
- some great photo sets of some great bands: AVAN LAVA/BRIGHT LIGHT BRIGHT LIGHT + POTTY MOUTH/PRIESTS
- AND some great giveaways too: ACTION BRONSON/ CHELSEA HANDLER / WACKA FLOCKA FLAME and more
- plus, as always-our handy SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK guide
- LONG TERM USEFUL:
- THE BEST PIZZA IN DC
- Are the PARENTS PLANNING A VISIT? Here’s the only guide you’ll ever need to keep them entertained.
- Our 2013-14 edition of LEAST DOUCHEY BARS IN DC.
- related: HANGOVER GUIDE-pro tips.
- Our guide to the finest DC TRIVIA NIGHTS
- DC’S MOST AND LEAST EXPENSIVE COCKTAILS. Treat yo’self.
- BRUNCH GUIDE
- And as always-a gentle reminder we now how BYT NYC homepage too and publish a NYC Best Weekend Bets. So….tell yourself/friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
Speaking of which… Are you ready for the weekend?
Nice and clean. Good.
- Important things first:
- Restaurant week is THIS WEEK – we have a pro-tips guide with everything from what to avoid and who’s NOT participating to places to go and food items to order. USE IT
- our FREE AND ALMOST FREE THINGS TO DO IN DC THIS WEEK guide
- Beyonce’s husband is at the Verizon Center
- Charles Bradley & His Extraordinaires are at 9:30 Club. If you’re a Bradley fans, watch “Alpha House” on Amazon Prime for a nice cameo
- 50 Shades! The Musical begins a three-night run at the Warner. Read our interview with one of the leads here. Her dad likes the show. Her dad likes seeing his daughter in the 50 Shades! musical. That’s nice.
- Did you like building forts as a kid? Have you ever build a megafort? The National Building Museum is building an Ultimate Megafort.
- Local artists we really like Marian McLaughlin and DeenaOH are at DC9
- Super funny fun dude Todd Glass is at the DC Improv tonight through Sunday. Once again, super funny and fun.
- A very cool event at the Fillmore Silver Spring: Earplugs Optional: A Night of Design and Music with Post Typography, a sneak peek into the design process and sets from excellent bands, including Roomrunner
- Tryst has a Tiki-Fun(draiser) to help send Tryst baristas to volunteer at the Big Eastern US Coffee Championship
- Learn about the secret strategy to destroy the west! Fun! International Spy Museum fun!
- German a cappella pop quartet Maybebop is at The Kennedy Center tonight and we’re recommending it because German a cappella pop quartet?
- We’re staying international at U Hall with a set from Skream
- Penn Social is hosting a Harpoon’s draft cider release party
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff (SERIOUSLY, JUST SO MANY)
- OK-time to get this weekend really going. We know you’re tired, but rally.
- going to happy hour? Check out our sweet H Street Happy Hour guide. You’re SPOILED for choices.
- Also-SO MANY AWESOME NEW BARS/RESTAURANTS are opening. We have first looks of:
- EL REY-the taco/margarita/shipping container extravaganza on U; Bidwell – the new John Mooney restaurant at Union Market; Ivy and Coney on 7th street plus check back later this week at the FOOD SECTION for Roofers Union, Silo and Flight as well because IT IS ALL HAPPENING.
- Calvery Woodley has a Grand Bordeaux Tasting featuring 53 different varieties
- Local show of the night is the Bad Friends Showcase at Black Cat featuring Tereu Tereu, Drunken Sufis and Raw Feels
- The runner up for local show of the night is at The Dunes with Teen Mom and The Mean Season
- Speedy Ortiz is playing in NE
- Big Daddy Kane is at the Howard. You’ll want to tell your kids you saw Big Daddy Kane.
- Go-Go Symphony and the Legendary Trouble Funk Band is at 9:30 Club. You’ll want to tell your kids you danced to go-go.
- A little bit of sideshow, a little bit of everything, The Skulduggery and Strange Show is at Artisphere
- The Read Cool Time Comedy show at Joint Custody with Nick Mullen, Dana Bell and Katherine Jessup actually sounds like a real cool time
- Another quality comedy options is Comedy On The Table at the Velvet Lounge, proceeds go to the Young Women’s Project
- Rhett Miller of the Old 97s and from writing good stuff is at The Hamilton
- In an artsy/political mood? Head to the Ritz-Carlton Georgetown for Republicans vs Democrats – 4th Annual Cartoonist Exhibit
- Black Dynamite is the midnight movie at E Street
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- do daytime stuff:
- Like see some movies. Check back Friday to read all of the words you need to know about new releases in our FILM SECTION.
- have some delicious pizza and &Pizza which just launched a new lunch menu (and happens to be prominently featured BOTH in our GLUTEN FREE GUIDE TO DC and our BEST PIZZA in DC round-up)
- How about an afternoon matinee of Flashdance: The Musical? That seems appropriate.
- If you’re not flashdancing, how about checking out a DC Rollergirls bout at the DC Armory? Also appropriate.
- The National Gallery of Art brings back their cine-concert series with Seven Years Bad Luck
- If you’re a big Lincoln fan (God, that sounds wrong. Fan? Jesus Christ.), you’ll want to check out his briefcase and Tad Lincoln’s photo album at Lincoln’s Cottage
- then, let go and take a break before heading out for the evening:
- At night:
- Did you meet someone cute this week? Check out our BEST DC FIRST DATE SPOTS – A HANDY GUIDE (also useful: BEST DC PLACES FOR A NON-DATE/DATE-HANG)
- Take yourself to a bar. make it a non-douchey one. Click here for our LEAST DOUCHEY BARS IN DC list to make that decision extra easy.
- Want to dance at a free Talib Kweli DJ set? You can do that at The Lodge at Redrocks
- Bob Mould’s Blowoff will fill 9:30 Club
- More good local stuff at Black Cat with Olivia Mancini & the Mates, Who Needs a Pulse, Walking Sticks. If you like Gems, you’ll like Walking Sticks.
- Your friends older brother’s favorite band Big Head Todd & The Monsters is at 9:30 Club
- The one-man Lord of the Rings is at The Birchmere. You should know if this is for you.
- End the night dancing to Viceroy at U Hall
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- BRUNCH TIME! (also, in new Brunch options: check out La Tagliatella’s insane new menu plus: for MLK tomorrow: Masa 14, El Centro and Zengo are ALL doing Monday brunches)
- Feel more like staying in? HOME ENTERTAINMENT column TO THE RESCUE. ALSO, check out our list of BEST MOVIES OF 2013 (trust us, it may surprise you) for some viewing inspiration.
- or-if you’re staying in to watch some Teeeeveee tonight, catch up on previous episodes through our DOWNTOWN ABBEY + GIRLS + TRUE DETECTIVE recaps. We’ve got your back.
- while you’re at it-maybe feel like making a frozen pizza for yourself (and your loved ones?) – here are some handy pizza hacks to make those puppies REALLY shine (in your mouth)
- leaving the house?
- it is still cold out – go grab yourself a delicious warm cocktail – HERE IS WHERE.
- Some decent music options, Coup Sauvage & the Snips and Teen Liver are at Black Cat and Johnny Flynn is at DC9
- the very cool kids of School of Rock will show off their shredding prowess at the Fillmore Silver Spring
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- and then, yeah, sorry-the weekend is over
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. PLUS: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
- You’re not dead, you’re just tired. Till next time, remember NOT TO: