Hey everyone! This week’s BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from BYT ALL CITY and carefully calibrated for maximum fun and minimum stress, and will be punctuated with inspirational images from IN BRUGES, because that movie is great and I’ve always wanted an excuse to use it as a theme here and ALSO because, even though, it is set in Belgium it is a movie written by an Irishman, starring Irishmen and is, overall, decidedly Irish, and since St. Patrick’s Day is this weekend, I can sort of correlate all that into my perfect IN BRUGES excuse. Did you like how that happened? Me too. Though, there may be some swear words involved.
A COUPLE OF PSAs before we start:
- Our SPRING/SUMMER Guides are coming your way the week of March 19th-send us tips, advertise, the works.
- WE DO A REALLY SWEET SPOTIFY PLAYLIST of all the shows you could POSSIBLY WANT TO GO TO IN DC THIS WEEK-SO LISTEN TO IT/SUBSCRIBE TO IT/ETC.
- Read up on food here, our amazing movie reviews are here, STYLE Licks can be found here, and as always, GAY Best Weekend Bets are coming right up.
OK, ready for the weekend now?
- Not too many things going on, and you can blame whoever/whatever you want: SXSW exile, everyone doing nothing but Pinteresting this week, Spring being in the air…I don’t know but a happy hour on a Thursday always sounds like a good idea.
- Check out the BYT list of our favorite places to go OUTDOOR eating/drinking in DC (fingers crossed that the Gibson patio is open now too since they’re the featured Artini night tonight)
- or if you’re in the mood to check some-place new – Boqueria opens tonight in Dupont circle. We have a first look here.
- then check out the always lovely Jenny Owen Youngs @ Red Palace or the slightly less attractive but very lovely to listen to Megafaun @ Black Cat
- + U Street Music Hall just KEEPS ON CELEBRATING THEIR BIRTHDAY ALL WEEK LONG (tonight with Maceo Parker) + Cassio Ware and Sam Burns bring the dance party to LIV
- + other stuff
- Now, start planning ahead-check out our playlist of shows going on sale this week and know where to be, credit card in hand, so you’re NEVER that guy/girl/man/woman who “didn’t know this show was even happening before it sold out”.
- then-the single greatest thing happening in DC this weekend is the GAMEFEST! at the American Art Museum (in celebration of their new “ART OF VIDEO GAMES” show). There’s talks, there’s live gaming, there’s screenings of TRON and KING OF KONG, there’s THE SHOW itself…so just plan and go sometime this weekend.
- for those into regretting not being in Austin RIGHT NOW (you know who you are), there is a livestream of the SUBPOP Showcase (Feat. Niki and the Dove, Theesatisfaction etc) happening @ American Ice Co., brought to you by Mastercard, feat. and open bar and some other stuff on top.
- For those NOT into regretting they’re not in Austin right now-Bike Trip is playing RNR Hotel + Nunchucks and Courtesans are at Black Cat
- funny stuff: Gay Man’s Chorus is putting on their (bound to be epic) version of ROCKY HORROR starting tonight. You should go.
- funny man: Hal Sparks is @ Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse
- + other stuff
- OK-so it is St. Patrick’s day. There is something like 85000 beer garden/whiskey/open bar/death-to-the-liver parties happening (and I PROMISE I WILL RALLY AND HAVE A ROUND UP FOR YOU TOMORROW) but lets focus ON EVERYTHING ELSE GOOD HAPPENING IN DC TODAY FOR NOW (because, let me tell you-there is A LOT), green beer optional:
- DAYTIME OPTIONS:
- There is a truly delightful seeming puppet ballet happening @ Shakespeare theatre co. They have a matinee show today so maybe swing by there.
- Build your own kite and fly it too @ The Corcoran
- Gamefest continues!
- those lovely Runcible Spoon girls are having another one of their delightful fundraisers, this time it involves fancy whiskey and fancy homes.
- AT NIGHT:
- 930 Club and Black Cat present EMA @ U Street Music Hall which means you get to not cheat on any of your favorite venues tonight and still see what promises to be a phenomenal live show.
- THE-DREAM (!) is @ Fillmore. We have a “very tasteful” preview coming tomorrow AND we’re giving tickets away to it here.
- FATBACK is back @ LIV
- Mexican Institute of Sound make their first ever DC stop tonight @ Artisphere (read our interview with them here)
- over on H Street: BIG/BRIGHT are playing RNR Hotel. and Rich Robinson of Black Crowes is @ Red Palace
- and RIGHT ROUND celebrates it’s 10TH ANNIVERSARY of making you dance @ Black Cat
- + other stuff
- today may be a good day to revisit our HANGOVER CURES: PRO TIPS post. You’re welcome.
- Then – nurse yourself back to health with some movies: 21 Jump Street AND Jeff, Who Lives at Home both open this weekend/should make for super solid lazy day watching (reviews coming tomorrow) + EVERYTHING from “The Descendants” to “Young Adult” is out on DVD this week (our Home Entertainment guide-at your service)
- or if you prefer your movies in beautiful gallery spaces, stop by Freer and Sackler for “Cyrano Agency” or National Gallery of Art for some Robert Bresson (for free)
- SPAMALOT is playing at WARNER THEATRE
- + a must-RSVP-FOR-LOCATION (we know how you love those) secret COCOON WORKSHOP party featuring “massive paintings, MeyerSound, live visuals by two visual artists including Adrian Loving, and top talent”.
- + other stuff
REMEMBER: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN BYT ALL CITY, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
and as a parting note: