Hey everyone! This week’s edition BEST WEEKEND BETS is, as always, hand selected from BYT ALL CITY and carefully calibrated for maximum fun and minimum stress, and will be punctuated with inspirational images of Richard Linklater’s seminal DAZED and CONFUSED (with special Senior Sadists focus, lead by Parker Posey in extreme satanic glee mode), which is getting re-released on BLU-RAY and I love it (both reasons enough). You cool man?
A COUPLE OF PSAs before we start:
- Help us out with our FALL GUIDES, please.
- next Saturday is going to be a big one: we’re coming back to the Capitol Skyline pool WITH FASHION CAMP (which naturally, is going to be a little gay) AND we’re hosting the official afterparty for the Thievery Show @ W Hotel’s POV. So, start picking out your outfits now.
- we’re giving away Foo Fighter’s tickets. THAT’S RIGHT.
- AS ALWAYS: Food events can be found here, STYLE events here (there’s actually a fair amount of stuff coming up), all the movies worth seeing are dutifully reviewed here and the gay Best Weekend Bets are coming right up.
- as August slugs through, all those outdoor movie series are going to start slowly wrapping up, so use this opportunity to go check out the Blind Side (pass the kleenex, and then pass it again) over @ Capitol Riverfront. Say what you will, there’s truly nothing like a good old fashioned sports movie about overcoming difficulty through athletics and music montages to wind down to.
- later on, as you probably guessed by our interviews with BOTH Outputmessage AND Small Black this week, we’re pretty jazzed about the Monument fest’s show @ DC9 (bonus points: the event is also a benefit for Grassroots Reconciliation Group, which helps former child soldiers in Uganda recover and rejoin society by assisting them in finding jobs)
- The Runcible Spoon girls produce the most adorable, well crafted food zine ever. Last time, to release their new issue they had a dip party, and this zine around, it is an ice-cream social hosted in the Marion Street Gardens. Stop by.
- Every other man/child we know is obsessed with P90X, and now-they have a dance night to call their own. DJs Sean Peoples (of Sockets Records and Fatback) and Mike Miller (of Fatback) are setting up BODY JAM @ Looking Glass lounge, featuring workout music (this in my mind is Kesha but I feel that’s not what it is in their well turned out brains) and attendees are encouraged to bring yoga mats.
- or-it might be a good time to catch some storytelling over at Artisphere or take yourself to a theatre to see POP! @ Studio theatre or The Importance of Being Earnest @ H Street Playhouse before they close out this weekend.
- + other stuff
- Hot Happy Hour tip: Blackbyrd warehouse, which is nestled neatly between Marvin and Lost Society, does $1 oysters through 7 or swing by the promising sounding “EVERYONE GETS LAID” comedy happy hour @ Velvet
- After that “hearty” meal and a drink or two, take my cue from last week when I went out on a Friday night for the first time in forever and ended up at Red Fridays @ U Street Music Hall which turned out to be an really terrific time. This week, Solomon Sanchez and Doc Martin preside over the dance-a-thon.
- in the mood to support DC music ladies instead? Black Cat is your destination of choice with Olivia Mancini playing a show AND DJ Lil ‘E spinning at her always super fun RIGHT ROUND 80s dance party.
- Hip Hop fans will be heading over to 930 club for Kendrick Lamar’s DC debut.
- PLUS! MY MORNING JACKET IS AT MERRIWEATHER (Neko Case is opening). DOES THAT NOT SOUND JUST PERFECT? YES.
- + other stuff
- Wake up early, go to GIRLS ROCK showcase @ 930 club, feel really great about everything.
- Happiness levels high, head over for some pooltime fun (which also includes a free burger)
- NERD OUT @ DC9
- TJ Miller, last seen as Stainer in “She’s Out of My League” and Penny’s “safety choice” on the under-appreciated “Happy Accidents” sitcom is hilarious and @ Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse this whole weekend
- For those wanting to have a more down-home, Americana evening: It is a triple local bill @ 930 Club feat. Junior League Band, TypeFighter and Kingsley Flood, and it is your solemn duty as a Washingtonian to support these + LIVING LEGEND Steve Earle is @ Birchmere
- and end up at Nouveau Riche
- + other stuff
- Sundays are made for brunches and movies.
- I wish that’s all I could say about today BUT! a couple of things will get in the way: there is a massive pig party to attend, DC BEER WEEK kicks off today and features a cruise to start things off on the right foot (full guide tomorrow, we promise) AND it IS RNR Hotel’s 5th year anniversary, so that warrants a going out AND Alkaline trio are @ Black Cat
- side note: Maribeth Egan’s Mantra Samplers show opened @ Artisphere this week, and fans of Miranda July will probably like it. So, if you are (and you know who you are) make some time to check it out.
- + other stuff
REMEMBER: THERE IS A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN BYT ALL CITY, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away, you know you want to.