This week’s BEST WEEKEND BETS is, as always, hand selected from BYT ALL CITY and calibrated for maximum fun and minimum stress, and will be punctuated by images of the original TRON movie because we’re pumped for the Legacy next week.
Before you start reading this one note:
- The Embassy of Denmark celebrates 50 years of iconic Danish design translated into a magical forest of high brow Christmas trees.
- Famed neurologist and author Oliver Sacks challenges your understanding of communication at the historic 6th & I Street Synagogue.
- Cobalt hosts a holiday happy hour celebrating the one year anniversary of ShenAnniegans with DJ vAnniety kills.
- Matt Bailer transforms LIV nightclub into Club MTV with his FREE 90’s dance party Peach Pit.
- Fight the cold with DJ Neville Chamberlain spinning salsa, brazillian, & latin club at Lil Miss Whiskey’s for Miss Margeaux’s Latin Thursdays.
- Buke & Gass play the Rock & Roll Hotel with Talk Normal and Hammer No More The Fingers.
- Take a peek at local streetwear company DURKL’s holiday hat collection at their Chinatown headquarters/clubhouse.
- Harry Hotter, Jerome Baker II, James Nasty and Johnny Blaze channel the Godfather of Soul at U Street Music Hall for the Free James Brown Happy Hour.
- Darklight Heroes curate MIXTAPE OF DOOM, a collection of logic bending neuro-masochistic short films from the past, present and future, screened at the Goethe Institute.
- Ra Ra Rasputin and Imperial China share an all-star local bill at Rock & Roll Hotel.
- N’Dambi teams up with Zo! & The Sunstorm All-Stars to fill the Black Cat with cosmic soul vibes.
- DFA’s Juan Maclean spins at U Street Music Hall for their Red Fridays series.
- Want to help save ponies while shopping for vintage Christmas gifts (for yourself)? Stop by the Moon Pie House for their Holiday Vintage Gift Bazaar, featuring vintage fashion, records, books, movies and more with music by Cigarette and Weed Tree.
- Albus Cavus stages a one-night art show and auction (with pieces from BORF, DECOY and a bevy of local artists) to promote and raise support for Albus Cavus Classrooms at The Fridge.
- Japanese comic punk band Peelander-Z rips a new one into the Artisphere performance space.
- Suit up in your best neon Bogner one piece and get drenched in sweat at Chris Nitti’s Slalom II: Ski Bunny Boogaloo– a night celebrating vintage ski fashions and Apres Ski excess at Dahlak. Genius.
- As always, Gavin Holland, Steve Starks, and Nacey bring the party with Nouveau Riche at U Street Music Hall.
- I HIGHLY recommend making the late night trip to Baltmore’s Paradox for this fantastic edition of Ultra Nate and Lisa Moody’s Deep Sugar- this month featuring the legendary Frankie Knuckles.
As if that wasn’t enough already… For some reason the Universe decided to blanket the District’s venues with legendary acts.
- LEGEND #1: PATTI SMITH! IN THE FLESH! Possibly the coolest living female artist makes an appearance at the National Portrait Gallery to discuss and sign copies of her incredible memoir Just Kids chronicling early-70s Manhattan and her friendship with artist Robert Mapplethorpe.
- LEGEND #2: George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic show you what’s really real at 930 club
- LEGEND #3: Relive the golden years of hip hop with the groundbreaking East Coast duo EPMD at LIV nightclub.
- LEGEND #4: DC Hardcore greats Government Issue play a sold out show at The Black Cat.
- Atone for you sins and nurse your hangover.
- Gather up your old dresses and swap them out for some new jams at the DC Dress Swap
- Our city’s tiniest and best dressed dandies, the Pocket Gays, take over Local 16 with Sunday School: Cake Face Edition
- The Arlington Drafthouse Cinema screens all the classic tales of heartwarming holiday dysfunction with their 2010 Christmas Movie Festival
Now you tell us what we missed….