This is probably the last weekend you can get away with wearing shorts and dresses without tights on, so make the most of it. Just make sure you don’t fall off your bike.
Now, before we proceed, we have a couple of announcements to make:
- We have a 15% discount code for you for OVO by Cirque du Soleil which I just saw and it blew my mind. SO-GET YOUR TICKETS NOW.
- Secondly, we have a bunch of exciting events coming up, so please mark the dates/grab tickets for:
- September 30th edition of FAMILY HEMERLEIN
- October 7th and 8th for DC Curbside Cook-Off celebrating street food vendors in DC (make sure you vote your favorite in)
- October 9th for the BURST! into Artisphere party we’re throwing in collaboration with Pink Line Project
NOW ONTO THE WEEKEND. BRACE YOURSELVES TITE:
THURSDAY (Svetlana’s Picks)
- Well, all the teenagers in town who are allowed to go out during the work week will be at Jenny & Johhny Show @ The Black Cat which I guess is good news for the adults out there who then can:
- Check out the closing night of DC Shorts festival (+ a Ketel one sponsored party at Little Miss Whiskeys which will then turn into the “Smooth music tribute to Miami Vice” video/jams party)
- NO RULE makes a one night pit stop @ U Street Music Hall and if you’re going to trust one person with your dancing on a Thursday night, you could go MUCH worse than Scottie B.
- ALSO-best date night in town: ART JAMZ, volume II. Drink, paint, make out.
Shameless BYT contributor plug: listen to our beloved music/design nerd John Foster’s very own channel for the legendary Fire Records: radio.firerecords.com
FRIDAY (Svetlana’s Picks)
- Well, Aziz is in town (along with Raaaaaaaaaaaandy!) , so the person that figures out where he is partying AFTER his Warner Theatre shows, wins the weekend. (imo, I think he’d like Red Fridays)
- ALSO-No Age and Holy Fuck come together at the Black Cat as the must-see indie extravaganza of the weekend
- Superchunk does their poppy punky thing @ 930 Club (though this may be too big of a venue for them, we’ll see)
- Tabi Bonney is at RNR Hotel
- and the ladies of Phasefest host a fundraiser for it at, you guessed it, PHASE 1
SATURDAY (Libby’s Picks)
- Spend all day grazing, thrashing, and drinking at the H Street Festival featuring live music from Elikah, DJ Keenan, and HR of Bad Brains.
- RUSH kicks some ass at Jiffy Lube Live– I’m sure you could see some great vintage merch in that parking lot.
And Saturday night is the night of the Dance Party:
- The Mixtape boys celebrate their 2 Year Anniversary at the Rock & Roll Hotel
- And Fatback does it right at Liv
- While DC’s seminal indiepop dance night, Mousetrap (at the Black Cat of course) hosts special guest Gwenno Saunders of the Pipettes.
SUNDAY (Libby’s Picks)
- Spend the day eating Scotch Eggs and Turkey Legs while goosing wenches at the Maryland Renaissance Festival
- Bask in the legend of Billy Bragg at the 930 Club.
- Garotas Suecas brings their Otis Redding/Os Mutantes vibe to U St Music Hall with Kid Congo
- Watch the best show on television, Mad Men, and the most anticipated, Boardwalk Empire, from the comfort of several bottles of beer at Jimmy Valentine’s.