While it may seem tempting to stay in this weekend and never move further than 10 inches from your window AC unit we fairly strongly feel that what this weekend has to offer (both in terms of people and places) is strong enough to motivate you to motor. Here are our picks, and remember, there’s always 80000 more options for every day at BYT ALL CITY.
Take a deep breath and dive in:
- Sneak out of work just a couple of minutes before you should and head out to Hillyer court because Phillips collection partners up with A.V. Club for this Month’s installment of “After 5” feat. music by Fatback and People’s District’s Danny Harris, exotic beer tasting with Greg Engert of Churchkey and more
- Then- stop by the Tony Savoie opening @ Long View Gallery
- After a couple of glasses of wine and some good art, you may be in the mood to self-destruct what little good work you’ve done for your soul and- you’re in luck-U Street Music Hall is debuting their Auto Tune Karaoke series happy hour tonight with free shots for first 20 people who sing
- which is conveniently down the street from Dodge City where everyone can convene for some late night dancing with Sean Peoples at ECHO
- The alternative option for tonight (which should mainly be appealing to weird men in beards, women who love and respect them and most of BYT’s male staff) is the Fantasy Movie Night @ Jimmy Valentine’s feat. screenings of Heavy Metal AND Wizards
- TV Bonus: Real Housewives of DC premieres tonight.
- Make a promise to yourself to drink more quality liquor, check out our Drink Diaries series for suggestions by people whose lives depend on knowing how to drink well
- Heavy Metal Parking Lot is a movie that holds a special place in the hearts of DC residents. Check out a very special evening with the director and the sequel of sorts “Heavy Metal Picnic” @ AFI Silver Spring tonight, for one night only. Eat at Mandalay beforehand or check out our Silver Spring guide for other ideas. Dressing in “honest 80s” attire is a bonus.
- A lot of people will be trekking out to Merriweather for the Spoon/Arcade Fire show but if you are staying in town, stop by the Soul Dance Revue @ RNR Hotel or Kicks @ Black Cat or Moneytown @ Little Miss Whiskeys for some old-fashionedly good dancing
- For art lovers-GAIA’s opening @ The Fridge and Matthew Mann’s Opening at Flashpoint (a BYT Year in Art show) have a “must go” written all over it.
- BYT Summer Camp continues its reign of daytime drinking and (drinking) games with COLD WAR CAMP this week. We have Fez & Mustache DJs, Autorock and our very own Bradley spinning 80s vs. Eastern European Music, there are rumors of alcoholic sno-cones and if you show up in a fur hat or with a (Nancy) Reagan mask on – we’ll do something nice for you. Noon to 8pm, as always. At Capitol Skyline Hotel as always. With endless support from vitaminwater and jeremiah weed, as always. Win tickets for it here
- Afterwards, IMO- Black Cat’s annual RUN FOR COVER IS A CAN’T MISS SITUATION, because the one-off cover bands are always amazing, and also because it benefits Fort Reno which is a DC treasure we must support.
- Other solid but a little remote options include: Cale’s favorite event of the year: Found Footage Festival @ Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse, Erykah Badu, Common, Janelle Monae et al @ Merriweather or Kings of Leon @ Jiffy Lube
- For dancing-Treasure Fingers @ U Hall or Mass Appeal @ RNR Hotel
- Daytime Bonus: Dog Days of Summer Sales everywhere along 14ht and U (including the Studio Theatre’s Annual prop and costume sale)
- On Sundays I like to sleep, eat brunch and watch movies. This week: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (directed by the inimitable Edgar Wright and based on the only comic book I read this whole decade) AND Step UP 3D both open making a movie day almost inevitable
- After that 2nd Annual Synchroswim happens @ Capitol Skyline and frankly, you don’t want to miss it
- At night: Nothing but MAD MEN (this season has been AH-MAY-ZING)
(images from: keggers of yore)
And there you go-a little something for everyone and nothing for some, I’m sure. Go on- make your fun and have it too.