It is the weekend before SXSW which is the weekend before WMC which is the weekend before you die and no bands are in DC but for the time being we should embrace the benefits of everyone being on the road and stopping by the club near you. Just take it all, greed, after all, I’ve been told-IS GOOD. (hopefully that Wall street sequel is too, though I’m not holding my Shia breath)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7upG01-XWbY
Before we start though, lets take a gander through all sorts of specialiazed event guides BYT does these days, ALMOST like a real newspaper operation or something:
- For fashion: read STYLE LICKS
- For free movies: read FREE MOVIES IN DC THIS WEEK
- For art happenings: read ART ITINERARY
- For foodie news: read THIS
- For comedy events: AVOID THE GREEN ONES
- For sound advice: read UNKLE BUCKETTE’S Advice column
Below, we will deal ONLY with excess.
- The Artini juggernaut is at the Tabbard inn tonight, so stop by there after work and socially lubricate
Then watch yourself be spoiled for show choice:
- Morning Benders (horrible name, great band) are at the Black Cat
- Low anthem and Vandaveer are at 930 Club
- Small Black/Washed Out are at DC9
- Middle Distance Runner is at IOTA
- and Merrifield records is showcasing @ G40
Then- Wear nothing but your Calvins and party like it’s 1994 at Peach Pit.
Create nothing, own:
- Matt Hemerlein is (well deservedly) being filmed for a BBC special. Be part of history, or at least TV tonight @ SOVA
- Everyone and their hipster and blipster best friend will be at the Suckers/Laughing Man show @ Black cat
- Kudos to PHASE 1 for being the most honest bar in DC, even after 40 years: SLUT NIGHT is tonight.
Influence people, get quotes:
This particular Saturday has 20+ events listed on the BYT calendar which is obviously, excessive and no matter how hard you try, you cannot beat the system. So here is what we suggest:
- Remember that monster crush you developed on Gina Welch, author of “In the land of believers” last week? Make your stalking dreams real by stopping by Politics & Prose today at 1pm for her reading.
- Go to Bored of Trade, buy some awesome vintage clothes/earrings/headbands so you know you’re looking good no matter where you end up
As for that part, lets see:
- Questlove redeems himself for the Shamrock fest appearance earlier in the day by stopping by LIV to DJ and be awesome. BYT Presents and approves this event.
- MIDNIGHT KIDS ARE AT THE CAT
- Body Language is at the Fridge
- Here we go Magic is at RNR Hotel
- The Very Best (alongside with JD Samson and The Publicist) are at SONAR, and sure they’ll be at DC9 tomorrow but the more Very Best you get this weekend, the better, really.
- STS9 and creative drug use come together as one at 930 Club
- both MIXTAPE and ON & ON will be fun and crowded and sweaty whether you want to rub against your own sex or the opposite gender.
and finally, just when you thought there is nowhere to go to late the 411 LOFT bonanza is in full swing
Objectively speaking, if your parents named you Bud Fox, you lost your battle before you even knew it:
While I am exhausted just by typing about Saturday, let alone living through it, you’d be a damn fool if you didn’t at least consider:
And don’t let anyone eat your lunch.
Leave comments with things you think we missed, or something.