Hey everyone! This week’s long, Thanksgiving selection of events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress with PEOPLE WE ARE THANKFUL FOR THIS YEAR, as our theme. 2017 was not ALL BAD, and this is a gentle reminder of that.
• We’re done for 2017! We made it! At least in terms of events.
Can you even contain the excitement?
• Thanksgiving week means a trip to Trader Joe’s. Godspeed.
• Taco Bamba has a lunch counter in Del Campo and Chinatown is better for it.
• Here’s a relevant question: Does Anyone Know How a Single Woman Can Have a Conversation With a Man Without Tearing Off His Fucking Face?
• Ice rinks are open. Go skating.
• Maydan, the new restaurant from the people behind Compass Rose, is open.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• Nina Simone: Four Women at Arena Stage may be our favorite theatre production of the year.
• The night before Thanksgiving means too much drinking. Do it in some of D.C.’s least douchey bars.
• 6lack headlines 9:30 Club.
• The Mattson 2 play Black Cat.
• Watch The Last Waltz at Boundary Stone. It’s one of the most appropriate Thanksgiving movies.
• Hoodie Allen plays Fillmore Silver Spring.
• Drink some fancy beers at Dram & Sam: a Utopias beer and cocktail experience.
• The Chuck Brown Band plays a sold-out Pearl Street Warehouse.
• Dance Benny Benassi at Echostage before you eat too much tomorrow.
• Miracle on 7th opens tonight. The first day should be the easiest to get a seat.
• The Mariah Carey brings her Christmas show to the MGM National Harbor.
• Nothing to Lose (But Our Chains) at Woolly Mammoth is worth your time.
• Odesza plays their first of two nights at The Anthem.
• Made In the District is throwing a dance party at The Future of Sports.
• The Pietasters headline 9:30 Club. Pie.
• See Pulp Fiction at Suns.
• São Paulo’s Cankro plays Slash Run with Coke Bust, Sem Hastro and No Funeral.
• The NSO Pops perform the score of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in Concert at the Kennedy Center.
• Black Cat’s Dark & Stormy dance party should help you shed some lbs.
• Chaka Khan plays the Warner. Chaka. Chaka Khan.
• Head to Fairfax for some indie wrestling: NOVA Pro presents “11th Dimenson.”
Do some daytime stuff:
• Small Business Saturday. Here’s the list of participating D.C. stores and restaurants.
• The Kansas City Ballet performs The Nutcracker at the Kennedy Center.
• Have you visited the Downtown Holiday Market?
• Eat free waffles at Dew Drop.
Go home, take a nap and regroup for the best evening:
• The most appropriate show is Keller Williams’ Thanksforgrassgiving at 9:30 Club. Beautiful show poster.
• Church Night brings The Lord to Black Cat.
• CityCenterDC hosts their tree lighting holiday festival.
• DC Brau hosts their 5th annual holiday market place! Buy stuff!
• Diplo plays Echostage.
• Donnell Rawlings is at the DC Improv.
• The Brian Setzer Orchestra Christmas Tour hits the Warner. On November 25.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Spend your long weekend revisiting our always golden Murder Mystery Streaming Guide.
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• It’s almost Christmas! Time for A Drag Queen Christmas at Lincoln Theatre! Hosted by Roxxxy Andrews!
• Brunch at Slash Run and watch Salad Days, The Decline Of Western Civilization and American Hardcore.
• How about a Sunday morning Drag Story Hour with Mrs. Kasha Davis of RuPaul’s Drag Race at the DCJCC?
• Xscape plays Capital One Arena.
• I Am Not Your Negro plays at Busboys & Poets on 14th.
• Soccer Team, Penguin, and Santics play Black Cat.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, keep up the good work.