Hey everyone! This week’ selection of weekend events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress with The Americans as a theme because it’s Memorial Day Weekend and remember when Russia was the enemy? Now we’re BFFs! According to some people!
Some really cool things on the horizon:
• Our Annual Pride Kick Off! JUNE 9! Cap Pride & BYT Present: Rainbow Resistance Opening Party
• We are thrilled to be media sponsoring Dine-N-Dash on June 7.
• Speaking of Dine-N-Dash, you like brunch, right? Enter the RAMW & BYT’s Brunch Passport Challenge.
• Enter the FotoDC Spring 2017 Competition.
• Celebrate women AND nature with the new Force of Nature series.
Can you even contain the excitement? Contain it.
• Happy Memorial Day Weekend! We’ve updated our Burger Guide because you are required to eat a burger this weekend.
• Sometimes you want to get out of D.C. Sometimes you can’t get that far. Our Day Trip series begins with Frederick, Maryland’s distilleries.
• D.C.’s best beer week is almost here. Our SAVOR preview has you covered.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• Mary J. Blige brings a lack of drama to Wolf Trap.
• The Air and Space Museum celebrates 40 years of Star Wars with The Force at 40 event.
• Sigur Ros is at Merriweather Post Pavilion. You never want it to rain when you go to Merriweather but I bet seeing Sigur Ross in the rain wouldn’t be bad.
• Marian Hill is at 9:30 Club.
• The Library of Congress screens Waiting for Guffman.
• Time for Maryland Deathfest!
• Have you visited Le Desales yet?
• Women that want to talk about sex should head to The Lemon Bowl.
• The very good Luce Unplugged series continues at the American Art Museum with Bad Moves.
• We like Dee Ahmed and he co-hosts The Facebook Monologues at Drafthouse Comedy. No cover.
• Good band The Sea Life has a record release show at Smith Public Trust.
• The Kennedy Center hosts the premiere of The Washington Ballet presents Tudor, Ashton, World Premiere.
• Timon of Athens at Folger is worth your time.
• The Chainsmokers is at Merriweather. Good for them.
• See All Quiet on the Western Front at the Air and Space Museum.
• Vancouver Sleep Clinic is at Rock & Roll Hotel. I have never visited a sleep clinic and am curious if I could pass out with a device strapped to my face.
• National Gallery of Art’s Jazz in the Garden series continues with a free performance from the United States Coast Guard Dixieland Jazz Band.
• Michael Blackson is at DC Improv.
• DC9’s Liberation Dance Party is only $5.
• Another dance party option is No Scrubs at 9:30 Club.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Our pick of the day is Celebrating JFK at 100 at the Kennedy Center. It’s a full day of Open House programming from one of D.C.’s finest cultural institutions.
• It’s your last day to check out POW! WOW!
• It’s time for Star Wars Day at Nationals Park!
• Timber Pizza Co. is doing breakfast and reading this will make you want their pastries.
• People play music on their porches at the Takoma Porch Music Festival.
•There’s a Great Gatsby themed party at The National Cathedral. People will never realize The Great Gatsby does not end well.
Go home and find someone for the evening:
• We’ll be at Sylvan Esso at 9:30 Club.
• Fifth Harmony is at Wolf Trap. They are not bad.
• Iron Lung, DOC, and Closet Christ are at Slash Run. There has to be at least one other person that is interested in both Fifth Harmony and Iron Lung.
• Rock & Roll Hotel is hosting prom. It’s an evening of prom. Like a high school prom.
• Merriweather Post Pavilion has a free outdoor movie series this year. It begins Saturday with Grease.
• Fale University opens their doors at 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. at Suns Cinema. Learn something.
• The Orwells and The Walters are at Black Cat.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Check out our Weekly BYT Guide To DVD Releases / On Demand / Instant Netflixing.
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
• Go to church?
Leaving the house?
• The event of the night is Jimmy Valentine’s 10 Year Anniversary. Happy 10 years, Jimmy Valentine’s!
• Go do some yoga in the Nats outfield. Really.
• The free museum screening we’re most interested in is Waste Land at Hirshhorn at 2 p.m.
• How about Homosuperior, HIRS, Romantic States, and Mock Identity at Hole in the Sky?
• Last chance to see Macbeth at the Shakespeare Theatre Company.
• The W hosts their 7th Annual Pink & White Memorial Day Rooftop Party.
• You may find us at Black Cat’s Summer Kick Off All Night Happy Hour. Free pinball!
• DC9 has indie rock karaoke. It’s easier than starting a band.
• LP, Josiah & the Bonnevilles, and Lauren Ruth Ward are at U Hall.
• Rock & Roll Hotel has a free rooftop dance party beginning at 3 p.m.
• Support the young rockers! Girls Rockl! D.C.’s 3rd annual We Rock! Camp has their showcase at Black Cat.
• Astronomy on Tap is at DC9.
• Today is the only day to see Long Strange Trip: The Untold Story of the Grateful Dead at AFI Silver Spring.
• Dew Drop Inn has a fine bill: Lauren Ruth Ward, Swarming Branch, CrushnPain, aquareef.
And just like that, the long weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, loose lips sink ships: